Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 20:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Has anything really changed since?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Has anything really changed since?

Not much. I went grocer shopping today and the dairy aisle was still loaded with fat free yogurt. Big giant 0% on the front.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one buying the full fat 6% plain yogurt.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 22:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one buying the full fat 6% plain yogurt.

That's the way I feel when I buy a bunch of meat on sale. But the last few ground beef sales they've limited it to 10 lbs at a time. So maybe there are more people buying it. The rest of the time people probably think I'm a vegetarian.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 01:09

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Here are a couple of items that have been published following on from George Monbiot's original article:

Quote:
George Monbiot blames the government for rising obesity levels – there’s a simpler explanation

https://health.spectator.co.uk/geor...er-explanation/

Quote:
Our obesity crisis and its many different causes

Readers discuss ways to combat the UK’s excessive sugar consumption and the large amounts contained in processed food and drinks

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ifferent-causes

#35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 08:55

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

The Spectator article makes a pretty good case for exercise decreasing over the decades, which makes sense, but this?

Quote:
Average calorie consumption – and, indeed, sugar consumption – is lower today than it was in the 1970s when obesity was relatively rare.

No link provided for that one which contradicts everything else I've read, including Gary Taubes' excellent book.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 10:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
The Spectator article makes a pretty good case for exercise decreasing over the decades, which makes sense, but this?

No link provided for that one which contradicts everything else I've read, including Gary Taubes' excellent book.

Even if this were true, which I doubt it is, the damage from high sugar consumption takes many years to develop. So you would expect there to be a lag in consumption vs. ill health. Also, the damaged people may be consuming more, and the healthy people consuming less, so the average could still be down.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 10:04
Registered Member

BF:

From the Spectator article:

Quote:
"So what is the real answer? There are factors that Monbiot does not mention, such as the rise of central heating and the decline of smoking, which are likely to have had some effect

I'll have to add these ones to my List of All Obesity Cause Theories thread. I can't believe I didn't think of the rise of central heating!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 10:15

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I always remind people who remark on how thin people were in the good old days that back then most adults, and certainly most working class adults, smoked cigarettes. They were aware that if they gave up they would gain weight, because they would replace the cigarette during a break with a snack, often something sugary like a biscuit, or would soothe their nerves with cake or chocolate instead of nicotine. So although sugar is the culprit, the fall of smoking played a role in the rise of the overweight.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 11:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
So although sugar is the culprit, the fall of smoking played a role in the rise of the overweight.

It sure did for me. I quit smoking twice. The first time I gained about 40 pounds that I didn't know how to get rid of - so I started smoking again - & promptly lost the weight. The 2nd time I quit I gained a lot more weight, but I didn't go back to the smokes - could no longer afford them. Food was cheaper.

When I stick to the low-carb diet, the good healthful food is even cheaper than the junk food.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 12:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Lying liars who lie say that sugar intake is down since the seventies. Replacing table sugar with high fructose corn syrup and calling it a decrease in sugar intake is lying. Nice dip after 2000. The graph doesn't include maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, concentrated grape juice, and what not.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 12:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Lying liars who lie say that sugar intake is down since the seventies. Replacing table sugar with high fructose corn syrup and calling it a decrease in sugar intake is lying. Nice dip after 2000. The graph doesn't include maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, concentrated grape juice, and what not.

Teaser, what would we do without you?