Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/223/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm not sure how to get 20 carbs out of the allowed 1 c veg and 2 c salad. ??? I must have missed something,though I've read the induction section several times. Also, I've cut out dairy, hoping that is my problem.... I really am trying to do this right, but after 3 weeks and net of 3 lbs lost I was desparate and cut everything in half. I can't afford to eat steak, etc all the time, plus I was trying to not eat too much protein, but wanted to get some fats in. How do you guys get your fat?? I don't like mayo,plus Ihaven't found onethat didn't have either sugar or corn syrup in the ingredients list. Reading labels at Atkins says?? Before I cut the dairy I was whipping cream a couple times a week... Sorry to be such a pain... Do you think more than 1 c vegs would be ok, if I keep it to 20 carbs??
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Dube,

Sorry I added to your frustration...here are a few links that might be helpful..

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html Atkins Induction. Lots of simple straightforward info there. I found it easier than reading the book. If you look to the right of the screen, you'll see a menu for Phase 1, Phase II, etc.

Here's one from the Atkins Center about calories. http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/I...nInduction.html

"Hot Links" from this forum. Just scroll way down the page to "Eating Fat". http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=28939

One more--where you can calculate your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). That's the number of calories your body needs to avoid starvation mode. Just scroll down the page and fill in the blanks for your age and weight, click on the activity level menu, then click "Calculate BMR/AMR".
http://www.healthyontario.com/engli...asp?text_id=240

You're right. Fitday is really frustrating at first, but it gets easier after you've built up a "recent" list so you don't have to keep searching for everything. One tip I've learned when searching is to add the word "raw" after whatever I'm looking for, especially for veggies or fruit, even when you're cooking it.

Stay with us, kiddo! We'll figure this out!

judy
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:34

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Dube_ I'm sorry too about confusing you. Fats include butter also. No the 2-3 cups of lettus will not give you enough carbs. By cutting out all dairy you cut out cheese. You do not have to eat steak--you can eat chicken- pork, sausage, bacon --all kinds of meats. Judy gave you some really good on line places to get help. Try some of them---I'M cheering you on. Don't give up before you have really given it all you got. It does really work> Aleka
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 05:12

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I sent an email to the atkins site and they just told me what I already read. They didnt understand that I was trying to ask them. If youre only allowed 3 cups veggies and you still have leftover carbs to eat, can you eat more veggies. They just referred me to the book. I ate up to 20 anyway. I went up to 25 after induction . Now I dont even count anymore. I am only losing a few lbs every month and thats ok with me.

Another thing, are you related to the Dubes of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. I am.

Cindy
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 20:08

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress:

I can't figure out what's going on either? I started strict Induction 2 weeks ago, and have'nt lost a pound! my clothes even feel tighter! maybe not around my waist, but still not sure? need to lose 15 pds + what to do? any other suggestions??
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 20:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress:

here's a sample of a typical day on Induction: breakfast: 3 eggs + 2 oz, of cheese, lunch: 1/2 cup of hamburger, 3 cups of lettuce, no carb dressing, supper: chicken or fish, or roast beef, 1 cup of broccoli, maybe the other 2 oz. of cheese, and 8 cups of water! inbetween I also have more eggs, what am I doing wrong? I've been on induction for 2 weeks and have'nt lost anything and I test the ketostix on the pink side, I also work out at Curves 2-3 times a week and walk back and forth to school plus all around school, HELP!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:40

BF:

I think you need to add some more fat. olive oil ,mayo.Did you lose any in February? Sometimes it gets harder the more diets you have done. Plus you don't have much to lose so weightloss should be slow ,I would think.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:41

BF:

I think youve got one more cup of veggies than induction says. but I added more to make it go to 20 carbs and it didnt bother me any.But maybe it does you.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:02

Stats: 190/173/135
BF:
Progress: 31%

One thing people seam to do is also try to cut out fat but you have to increase your fat intake, your body still needs something to fuel itself. You might be forcing your body into starvation mode and if you are doing that you will not loose any weight but you will most likely gain some. You need to make an effort to never be hungry, eat anywhere from 5 to 8 times in one day. Don't be scared of high fat. If you rememeber in the book it says if you try to cut fat you will not loose. Try adding a few higher fat snacks and see how that goes. Also remember consistency is the key and it takes your body anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to click into a chance, so you might just be one of those people that are a little slower but when it clicks that you are doing this man you will start to see a major difference. Another note to remember is the faster you take it off the more chances you have of putting it back on. I know it is frustrating I am doing it slow also, but my skin is so toned, I am not getting any loose skin and in the long run I will have better chances at staying thin. Don't be in a hurry it is not suppose to be a quick fix but a life style. I am sure if you are back on here in one year you will be amazed at how far you have come.

I have trained and tried a lot of diets. I have helped friends loose weight, I have help set them up on a work out program and the one thing I know is LC really works. It is a great way to stay fit but you need to be patient. 5 weeks is really not a long time. Give it more time but also try not to weight yourself too often. You can retain alot of water, the most accurate way to measure is but measuring yourself.

Good luck
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:50

Stats: 222/206/165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

UP the calories!! Your body is in starvation mode and is holding onto what it can. Eat more high calorie/no-low carb foods.. mayonnaise is a perfect example... more eggs in the morning, add sausage or bacon to your breakfast. lunch, eat a grilled chicken salad, or a chef salad... dinner eat some kind of meat and some veggies....or eat more eggs and bacon... chow down buddy!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:03
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I would think that your calorie intake is too low also. What they are talking about, starvation mode, is when your body thinks that due to lack of calories you are in danger of starvation, and that you may not get food for a while, that it will slow down weight loss and sometimes actually gain weight on less calories. I gained weight from having calories too low also, when I took them back up, I gained another 2 or 3 pounds until i convinced my body that regular feedings would continue, I started "grazing" and have been on a down slide ever since. I eat 5 smaller meals instead of 3 normal meals. If that is not convinient I snack at 10 am and 3 pm besides breakfast and lunch and dinner. I also dont eat late anymore. I cant eat after 6 pm and lose weight unless i excercise my but off after that.
fitday is really easy to use after a couple of days it is second nature to log on and plug in the food.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 01:36

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Smile Jmho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube
Hi! This is one last ditch effort before I quit. I've been doing Atkins for 5 weeks now. The last 2 weeks, I've cut carbs to 10/day, cheese/ cream only 3 days/ wk, no coffee or other caffeine, etc, etc. I've lost a whopping 10 lbs out of 100 that I could lose in these 5 weeks. I drink plenty of water, I'm usually hot, esp my feet, so don't think it's thyroid, etc. The test sticks always come out negative, so I figure I might as well eat some of the fresh fruit I enjoy instead of all the eggs that I can not stand. Typical day includes 1 egg for breakfast, 2 eggs with 1 leaf of romaine for lunch, hamburger with (some days) slice of cheese or slice of tomatoe for dinner. Sometimes a couple pieces of bacon or sausage.... Some days if I'm allowing dairy and haven't had cheese, I'll have whipped cream with sucralose for a treat. No nurtrasweet, no saccarin, no milk, etc. I've read and reread Atkins' books, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Bacon I only allow once a week. THe sausage I get has nothing but pork and spices in it (no hidden carbs...) I try to keep carbs to under 10, because on 20 I was gaining... I force myself to eat breakfast. Drink lots of water, plus some spenda sweetened drinks, too. Most days I drink the 2 qts by lunch time...
Just looking for a clue. Thanks! I've been thinking of doing the fat fast, but want to do it when I'm not going to be outof town, so that may not happen until the end of this month- 4 more weeks.... I really miss fruits and veggies,
d still haven't gotten to where I enjoy the "approved" foods.

Why aren't you eating veggies? What bothers me about your choices is that you are not enjoying them. Eat something that you like that is enjoyable. You say you miss fruit. Well, eat some strawberries or raspberries etc Have a little cantalope. Learn to experiment with the allowables. I love cooked greens such as kale and collards. Red and yellow bell peppers are extremely high in vitamin C, higher than oranges as is strawberries. When I was on induction I ate fried chicken that I made with a soy flour breading and the entire family loved it. I love sour cream better than yogurt. I remember, back-in-the-day, I used yogurt as a low-fat substitute for sour cream. Now I use sour cream as a substitute for yogurt. I sweeten sour cream with a little splenda and out it on my berries. Now I can admit to the fact that yogurt is nasty! Something else I ate which was yummy was sauteed shrimp in a creamy sauce ( Ken's Creamy Ceasar salad dressing, heated ) and it was poured over collard greens. You might prefer it on broccoli or asparagus.

Why are you eating eggs if you do not like them? Perhaps you just need to make egg things like a fritatta or eggs benedict or, hmm, cheesecake.
No matter what, this diet won't work for you if you do not like the food you are earing.