Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.0/212.0/175.0 Female 5ft 5in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default New to LC

Been fighting spinal stenosis and sciatica due to bulging disc for a couple years. 3 years ago I was 25 lbs lighter, walked a mile each day and 3 miles, with hills, on Saturday. Today I barely make 1/2 mile with the aid of a cane. Been through therapy, epidurals and chiropractic care...which actually does more good temporarily. Chiro. and I both agreed this week losing weight would help. He suggested low carb since it works for him so here I am. Did some online research this past week, bought LC friendly foods and had my first LC breakfast today. Also took starting weight and measurements as one online site suggested. I'm a bit skeptical about the fats allowed, but low fat hasn't worked so I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm also tracking my carbs in MFP.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 12:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome to a good place for information and conversation--plenty of experience.

Quote:
bought LC friendly foods
I hope by this you mean eggs, green leafy vegetables, chicken/fish/pork tenderloin, olive oil, butter. And NOT "Atkins Nutritional Meal Bars" or something of that nature. Actually, a great picture of good eating LC style can be found at DietDoctor.com Click over there and you'll see what I mean.

This is a journey. Be patient with the process, and learn to enjoy your new way of eating. You don't have to "force fats"--just eat your food cooked or seasoned in a delicious way without worrying anymore about low fat.

Best wishes. Come back here often.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 12:30
Registered Member

BF:

I did purchase fresh meat, fresh and frozen veggies, butter, eggs and found mayonnaise made with avocado oil with no sugar. Pretty good too although pricey, but then anything that isn't mainstream is. When I get the time I plan to make my own mayo. I will check the site you suggested...thanks for the info.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 05:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome!
Try this mayo http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/h...ake-mayonnaise/
I use the avocado oil from Costco, a good price for a large bottle. Also make it right in a straight sided jar with lid, so only need to rinse off the blender, takes about a minute total. Good information and other recipes can be found on the website Barbara linked. A book about the why of generic LC is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-02-17 at 08:38.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 10:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Welcome DeaB45!
I said welcome on the other thread but wanted to say hi on yours! My sister struggles with many of the issues you mentioned and had to use a walker or cane for about a year. Losing weight did help her quite a bit.

Learning LCHF I've found is a real journey and a personal one. Learning about the way the body works and the chemistry of fat vs sugar in the body has been life-changing for many people. For me, the learning has been more about the psychology of change...how to create a new lifestyle/mindset.

There's so much good information here shared by our more senior members through many of the older threads! I'm looking forward to "seeing" you around the forum!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 11:31

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Welcome. this is a great site with great ideas and information. I recommend you start a personal journal, it really helps me stay focused.

Have a great week.

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 13:53
Registered Member

BF:

Jey100, thanks for the mayo link. My kids go to Costco so will have them pick up some Avocado oil for me.

Blue ..thanks for the info about your sister. Takes away some of the mystique of wondering if weight loss could help. I'll be looking for you around the senior thread.

Kathy, great idea I'll start a journal today, if I can figure out how to do it here on the boards.