Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/150.2/126 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Can you use sugar alcohols in induction?

I have eaten some 0g net carb sweets and an Atkins bar is this ok on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

What ingredients are in the bars??

As far as I know NONE of the Atkins bars only contain ingredients on the allowed list so I would say - No they are not OK on induction.

The only way to be sure with any processed foodstuffs is to look at the ingredients and work out when in your Atkins journey they will be allowed and save them till then.

And try to check the ingredients before eating anything - or even before buying them - to make it easier for yourself to stick to plan.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 11:00

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? You should be eating 20 carbs per day from the acceptable foods list...12 to 15 of those 20 grams per day should be coming from veggies & salad.

http://www.atkins.com/articles/atki...se-1-induction/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atki...ceptable-foods/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atki...s-of-induction/

As far as the Atkins bars for Induction, please don't get me started!! They contain things like soy, milk & peanuts which are NOT on the acceptable foods list! Are they ok to eat on Induction...simply put, NO!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 11:04

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

sugar alcohols are known to stall people. if your body doesn't process them, you'll know because you won't be able to stray more than 20 feet from a bathroom for several hours. if your body does process them, then you might as well be eating real sugar. in fact, my body processes them so well that they'll sensitize me to any and all artificial sweeteners. even the taste of something sweet, like a diet soda, will set off an insulin reaction and kick me out of ketosis.

don't pay attention to the marketing propoganda. if it's not listed in the DANDR pages of induction-legal foods, don't eat it .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/150.2/126 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Thanks for the sage advice

I think reading the overall response I will steer clear... shame it really appearslike you can have your cake and eat it!

Thanks so muh for the rookie advice!

#6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%
Default Atkins Bars

gummidge:

Even though the packaging says it is allowed in Induction (I too believed that my first few months), it will really mess you up, i.e., too many actual carbs, gastro problems, etc. It is best to leave them alone til later.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

I find this is a very individual thing. Some people stall on them and others it doesn't affect at all. I'm in the latter category but I don't find the bars are good enough to spend the money on. They are expensive and I tried one and had to choke it down. No, I won't be buying them again. I do however have the Russle Stover SF candies which I have very occasionally and like to have them on hand when I feel I really need something sweet. That's becoming less frequently as time goes by though. I can also attest to the laxative affect though which at times has come in handy...if you know what I mean. Anyway I wouldn't want to get in the habit of using these products regularly. So to each there own.
Leah
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:48

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

The Atkins bars are a very misleading thing. The Atkins website tell you they are ok for Induction...the actual label on the bars states "appropriate for Induction"....however, if you read the book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) it clearly states DO NOT EAT ANYTHING NOT ON THE ACCEPTABLE FOODS LIST. The bars contain ingredients that are NOT on the accpetable foods list, such as, soy, milk & peanuts. HOW does this make them "appropriate for Induction" The bars also claim to have NO sugar alcohols...however, they arrive at their 2 net carbs per bar by deducting glycerin...which, incidentally IS a sugar alcohol!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Let's cut to the chase, folks:

Unles you can find the Atkins bars for under $1 (I'm a dreamer!), forget all about them.

In addition to being stall starters, they are just too darned expensive. Especially considering for $2 or more you can get a very good low carb snack that is cleaner, more satisfying, and better for you. You'll break the bank and your waistline eating those crazy things!

In my opinion, of course...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 13:11
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Many of the sugar alcohols / polyols, such as maltitol, are just as bad for you as sugar.

These are modified carbohydrates that are incompletely absorbed by the body and therefore do not affect blood sugar levels *as much as* regular sugar.

They often cause bloating, gas pains and not-so-pretty "bathroom issues" as well. By using sugar alcohols in products, they can legally be labeled sugar free, though that is incredibly misleading.

Here is a list of how some of them rate on the glycemic index and their caloric content -

Name GI Calories
Sucrose (sugar) 60 4
Maltitol (syrup) 52 3
Maltitol 36 2.7
Xylitol 13 2.3
Erythritol 0 0.2