Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 07:24
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Susan, I forgot to mention...as for the tidy gene, I learned that to maintain sanity and survival I have to have some sort of system in place to manage clutter. I'm trying to instill in Jim that items live in certain places so we can find them again when needed instead of slamming our way through the house looking for them. He's a little better about that now but if I really cherish something, I don't let him touch it because I'll never see it again in this life. I'm not a neat freak at all. I do it because my life could easily spiral down to submission to clutter. I've decided mail, shrapnel from shopping, et al come from the pit of Hell. They vex us and, if left to their own devices, will swallow us up whole. It's self-preservation for me.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Jul-27-15 at 07:39.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 12:33
It's Only Food!

BF:

Aaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!

It's fasting Monday for me.

Today in the office there was a huge chocolate birthday cake for which we all sang the obligatory "Happy Birthday" and from which I walked away in virtue. This afternoon was a retirement cake for my boss with speeches and slices being passed around. I walked away from it too muttering "it's only food and it's all toxic sugar" over and over and over and over........

Some days are just harder than others. I did it. I'm hiding in my office. I'll like myself better later.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb/ IF
Stats: 185/175.2/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ah Blue....bet you are liking yourself better right now! Awesome how you handled that temptation today. No matter how long we have been at this, you're right...."some days are just harder than others".

So, I should update my profile....I am not as close to goal weight as it says. I WAS at 167, and actually got down to 158 while on a 3 week roadtrip through the states (I live in northern Ontario, Canada). Unlike many, I am one of those rare people that actually does well away from home. That's what I need...a month long trip.

Well, sadly I am back to my starting weight. But, I have not failed until I stop trying. I loved that you said "we can do this, let's do this" Blue.
I needed to hear that from someone who's been through as much as you have and keeps perservering through. Yes,we can.

Kathy, I also admire your tenacity and stick-to-it-ness. One of these days it's going to come together for you. But, in the meantime, you are teaching me to like myself now, at this size, while working towards the goal. You have a great attitude in that regard that I want to work on with myself.

So, today I did well. My plan is to stick to low carb this week, then start intermittent fasting Mon Wed Fri for the month of August. Susan, I will adopt your motto....one day at a time.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 07:15
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Ronchin, I made it! Not feeling awesome, awesome, about it all but good that I could walk away. I dropped .8 pounds this morning (that's 4 tads in Blue's Weight Measurement Guide) and I'm glad I didn't succumb to the pushing hands urging me to have "some." If truth be told, I could have sat down with a fork and polished the whole thing off.

I'll never understand those who have no taste for sweets. As I get deeper into ketosis I find it easier and easier to abstain, but the truth is I'd have dessert for dinner if I could on any normal day. I got the genes that delight in sugar. Lucky me.

As for doing this, yes we CAN do this. It's only food. It isn't all the magical things we attach to it. That's what I had to keep reminding myself yesterday. The human brain does all sorts of nonrealistic things. We exercise personification of inanimate objects giving them life and personalities. The same goes for food. We ascribe abilities to it that don't exist. I'm training my brain after all these years to see food differently. I'm nowhere near where I should be but I'm far better than where I've been. At least now I don't hate myself "the morning after."

Ronchin, this is life. It's the neverending balancing act of life, events, food, and weight. It never goes away. Ever. It just is and we just keep on the path. So for anyone who isn't where they were or need to be, welcome to the club of Life. All members are battling the same thing and if not exactly the same, some similar battle.

I agree, Kathy DOES have a great attitude in facing a resistant body. She keeps me going too but I whine more than she does.

I'm back to using only baking soda for brushing my teeth. Minnie Mouse has been retired and I'm now using a bright green Winnie the Pooh ultra soft brush. I never cared for ole Winnie. He was sort of unmemorable to me. Come to think of it, none of them did much for me except Tigger had some oomph. Maybe I need to revisit those again with a fresh eye. Or, maybe not.

Y'all need to keep me focused. My head is starting to wander to thoughts of retiring. I never really let myself think about it much before but it's lurking in the back of my mind now. Of course when I do retire my routine will be different and I'll face new challenges with food. Fasting at work is easy peasy. Fasting at home......enh.......not so much. Geeze. I hope I don't have to work to maintain my weight! Quelle horreur!

Okay...enough rambling. Back to the mine.

Later 'gators.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Day 2 has gone well and I was down 1.5 this morning.....what more can I ask for.

I am happiest when I am decluttering. In fact, food is furthest from my mind when I am cleaning and clearing out and I would love it if someone would ask me to clean out their basement or attic (provided I could actually could get rid of obviously useless stuff and organize it not hoarder type situations -that would just be frustrating). Only problem is I have tidied and decluttered all I can in my home for the time being, and I don't think my hubby would appreciate me "tidying" up his workshop. No. Not likely.

Blue, I retired 4 years ago after 34 years as a preschool teacher. Except for brief periods of time where I have missed the interaction with little ones, I absolutely love the freedom and luxury to do whatever I feel like, and have not had a day where I was bored or didn't know what to with myself yet. On the contrary, I feel that time goes faster now than when I was working. I do not regret retiring at 55 one bit, and my hope is that I enjoy a retired life for as long as I worked , or more

How are your new appliances working out? Great, I hope.

Thinking of Linda and hoping the best for her.

Have a nice evening everyone.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 17:32

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I am back down to 160.7 today after being above 162 yesterday. I don't feel like I have eaten that much lately. We will see if it holds.

The addition is just hours away from being completely finished. The floor is all in and the plumbing is finished. I have my own potty! Tomorrow they are going to finish putting the shoes on the floor....that seems to mean the little round molding that goes at the edge of the baseboard. Then they will hang the towel bars and clean up. I will post photos on facebook when it is all cleaned up. It is just beautiful!! if I do say so myself. I sure will be glad to have the tables and things put back in where they belong. I have ordered runners to go across the old room that has a new floor and then to the dog door from the door of the new room. My little Joey won't walk on a wood floor because he slips and slides.

I have organized a lot of stuff and will devote the few days after they finish to figuring out where to put my many plastic containers of fabric and other sewing stuff. I am also working two art quilts that have to be finished by aug 9 and 3 more that must be finished by August 22.

I have made reservations to go to London in early October. I went ahead and booked to stay about 16 days. Should have enough time to see London well and have a good visit to Scotland (which is number one on my bucket list). I am already worried about eating on that long of a trip. I did fine in Florida but I have no idea what it will be like in Britain having never been. I have been to Italy and the alps, as well as to Japan 3 times and to Australia and NZ but never to the land of my ancestors. My ancestors left so long ago that I am not thinking of looking for relatives.

Gosh i can't believe how many long sentences I have just written that start with I. Enough about me already.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-15, 08:10
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Ronchin, well done on the drop! Yay you!!

You're giving me hope about retiring. I would miss some of my colleagues but I can't see myself at loose ends....ever. However I could see where I'd need to find some way to interact with humans because my personal life isn't full of organizations or memberships to anything. I'd probably venture out more.

This past Christmas break I cleaned out closets and drawers the entire two weeks I was off. I felt saintly but it also was so good to be organized. It made reflooring the entire house a WHOLE lot easier. Shrapnel had been removed and my art stuff was binned and organized as well as every closet. We had to move all of it for the installation and had I not done that, we'd have been frazzled and worn out. I can see more decluttering in my future. Hey, we have this garage that needs an overhaul. You're more than welcome to tackle that!

When we were at the horse farm in Kentucky a couple from Cincinnati stayed a couple of nights as well. He was a retired accountant and she had just retired from early childhood teaching. She kept saying she didn't know if she could handle not returning to school in the fall and was so anxious about the prospect. Yet she seemed to be enjoying herself immensely and talked about an upcoming whole-family vacation. I tried to reassure her that she would find a niche. I hope so for her sake! Some of my friends say they are busier after retirement. Jim has suggested getting a real estate license and working with him. I had a broker's license in Missouri when I did real estate closings. I liked that. Dealing with people at all hours on the sales end.......not so much but I'll probably do it anyway.

The appliances are da bomb! I'm almost 6' tall and I can now go to my refrigerator, reach in without bending at the waist and peering in to find what I want. I can see it and reach for it with ease! Water and ice on the door. Microwave with a turntable. Two ovens. Easy clean cook top. SILENT dishwasher. Oh yeah, we're rockin' those.

My former boss has officially accepted the job and will be returning next Wednesday. There were happy dances all around. I will so miss my current boss but she and I are friends who will remain friends. Hey, I did with my former boss too. There is no way I can tell you how relieved and happy I am for this outcome.

Susan, I can't wait to see the final pics. From what I've seen it looks amazing. And hooray for the weight loss! I know it's been frustrating but you really are holding that lower amount well. Yay you!!

I LIKE hearing about your life. There is no such thing as too much about you.

You're going to London and to Scotland for two weeks! I know you'll enjoy seeing your son and his family and you'll check off some bucket list items too. I am SO excited for you. This is fantastic! Of course I want to see pictures! Dang, woman, you've been down under. Do you ever incorporate things you've experienced on your travels in your art? That would make an amazing series.

We traveled around England and Scotland on our own in 2000 (besides France, Wales and Ireland) and I got to take my Mom and Dad which was something they had always dreamed of. Mom was Highland Scot and we got to go to areas whence the family came. Getting her there was a bucket list item for me. Of all the things I've done in this life, getting my parents to places they've always wanted to go on that trip far exceeds them all. If I did nothing else in this life, I can truly say I've achieved everything. I have been to Germany briefly and loved a vacation in Spain. I'd like to go to Tuscany some time. It's on the list but not anytime soon.

Oh, I dropped four tads overnight. Yay me.

I saw some reunion photos of Kathy on facebook. I know she was dreading facing her dad's criticisms. I hope that went well for her. There were some great family shots so I hope it went better than anticipated.

Okay.....I am forced back to the real world of data. Have a great day!

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Jul-29-15 at 08:25.
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-15, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:

Day 3 and 182.1 makes me a happy lady.

16 days in England and Scotland sounds wonderful Susan. What a terrific thing to look forward to. I visited briefly as part of a European tour years ago and loved it but wish we could have explored more. What did you think of Italy? I have been numerous times as I have close relatives there, mostly just north of Venice. I also enjoy reading about your life and the renovations. Looking forward to seeing it. You have done an amazing job with weight loss and are so close to goal, that is so great. And Blue,too, another 4 tads....YAY us!!

Kathy, hope your reunion is fun and I we look forward to hearing about it.

Well, I best get out to check on my tomato plants. Summer heat has finally arrived after a cool June and most of July...better enjoy while it lasts.

Excited to see if we all lose "a tad" tomorrow. Happy Hump evening.
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 08:51
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

No tads this morning. Stayed the same. I have hope for gads of tads.

I've never been to Italy which is why it's on my list. Believe it or not, the Leaning Tower is at the top of my list for things to see there. I'd like to learn more about it so anyone who wants to share.....I'm all eyes.

Today is taking my boss out for lunch with tomorrow as her last day. This is going to be hard saying goodbye. She helped make this madhouse fun.

Susan, the rooms are fantastic! They are beautiful as well as functional. I know I'd enjoy having my own little suite. The colors, of course, are spot on.

Hope you all have a great keto day.

Later 'gators.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 19:16

BF:

I am down one tad today. I have really not been hungry lately, and while I have not turned eating into just fueling, I really don't worry too much about what I eat. I tend to eat the same thing day after day. It makes it easy to shop and decide what to eat.

I spent most of today moving in to the new room. Things are not totally sorted out yet, but I am not going to move anything into the new room until it is organized. I put all the still unsorted containers in my study so I can work on it slowly. I really need to finish up a couple of art quilts that have a deadline coming up.

I absolutely love being retired. I did not have any choice as i got "outplaced" with 5 minutes warning. I learned quickly about not spending too much time planning every detail of my life in advance. I did look for other jobs but there wasn't much that I could do in that community to make the kind of money I did at Dow. I did receive a nice "bronze, not golden" parachute, so I really didn't need to go back to work. That is when I got really serious into art. Started taking lots of workshop and made new friends that way. We have moved twice since I retired. In New Mexico, John promptly went back to work. It wasn't easy to make new friends, but I stayed busy with church work and art projects. Moving here was hard again. Grinnell is a friendly but somewhat hard to break into some of the groups. Church work has again been good. Once I happened on the art quilters group it has been better.

I will have to write a whole post about traveling.
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 19:50

BF:

An added note to the comments on retirement. One thing that I do is go to an exercise group 5 days a week. I love walking with a friend, but have not had success in finding a walking buddy recently. I go to the pool 3 days a week where I have been going for 8 years and it is a friendly support group. This year I joined a fitness center and go to a gentle zumba class.

Travel: my husband traveled so much on business and sometimes I got to go with him. After I lost my job I went with him more often. But the problem was they usually didn't plan very far in advance and the schedule was often hectic. In the last 5 years that he worked for Dow he was gone more than he was home. He accumulated lots of frequent flyer miles. He went to London and Wales on business 3 times. I have not been there at all.

Our older son lived in Japan for almost 20 years, so we went there 3 times. I absolutely love Japan. We traveled on our own most of the time there, since David was often working. The last time we went it was much easier to plan because of the internet.

I went to Australia and New Zealand by myself in 2011. My bff from New Mexico invited me to tour NZ with her when she was going there for a Jungian dream workshop. I had several friends in New South Wales that I had met online in 1999. 3 of them came to the US in 2001 and we all met up with other friends in California and then 2 of them came to stay with me in New Mexico. So when I was going to NZ I contacted them to see if I could visit them. I flew to Sydney alone and traveled by train to see 4 different people. I stayed with them so it was really an amazing trip. Then I met my friend in NZ and we toured by train and plane. We also met up with another friend from my internet group who lived in Hamilton, NZ. The Christchurch earthquake happened the day that I arrived in Sydney. Because of that we had to change our plans at the last minute, but it all worked out.

Our son, Eric goes to a music festival every December in Namibia. In 2011 he was invited to bring his kids, but my dil was unable to go so I talked my husband into going along so that Miles could go. Miles was 6. He and John traveled around Namibia with a tour guide. It was an amazing experience for all 3 of them. I was glad that John got to go because I had been to Australia already that year.

Miles also went to China for 3 weeks with his parents a couple of years ago. We kept Ty that time. All of this travel is basically paid for by his employer, Grinnell College. The college is paying for the whole family to go to London for the fall semester. And, get this, in the fall of 2017 they are going to live in Florence for a semester.

Eric and Guinevere lived in Poland for a year right after they finished their masters degrees. They spent quite a bit of time in Italy during that year. So when we went to Italy in 2001 they were our guides. We had a wonderful time. We visited Naples, Pompei, Florence, and Rome. After two weeks, ds and ddil went for a week by themselves. We couldn't get a flight back home right away so we rented a car and drove to Abruzzo national park for a few days. That was an adventure. We got lost in Rome before we left and when we came back. I am not a city girl so i grew weary of Rome before the week was over, but we stayed walking distance from the Vatican and I loved being able to walk over to St Peter's several times. I saw the Pieta at 7 am when they opened the building and before the crowds of tourists arrived. That was a real highlight. It takes so long to go through the Sisten Chapel so we only got to do that once. We flew back from Italy on August 8, 2011. We landed in Newark. That is the day that supposedly the CIA told GWB that there was going to be a terror attack. The security in Rome was very tight. In Newark they basically waved us through without any inspection or questions. We did see the twin towers from the air as we landed.

Okay enough about my life. Let's hear about other people's adventures.
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-15, 09:11
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

I'm here. I'm here. Friday was the sendoff for my boss. The weekend was spent on my porch painting. I finished the piece, showed photos of it to the client who is happy with it and now it's on to the others in line.

Yesterday I ate cookies. I said that out loud. I don't cheat with junk food but those shortbreads called me and I think I was stressing over the painting. I ate six of those suckers. Today it's back to business as usual with my eating plan. Hmmph.

Let's face it, ketogenic eating doesn't allow for cheats and I did that. I know it isn't good and I did it anyway. I'm so frustrated with myself I could spit. I know better. No excuses. No justification. I have to have a better outlet for stress and don't you even think of piping up with "exercise!" Sure it's what I should do but when have I ever done anything I'm supposed to do?

Oh, and outcome to this is I'm up 3 pounds. Sponge Blue Round Pants returns. Serves me right.
I'm going to straighten my tarnished halo and limp back on the path.

Thank you for posting all about your travels! I haven't had the exotic adventures you've had, Susan. You're actually quite adventurous which I can't say I am. I've been to France, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Spain, Gibraltar, and briefly in Germany. I have 46 states under my belt, 5 Canadian provinces, a trek across the border to Mexico one day, and that's it. I have been to a lot of places, experienced a lot of things I've always heard about, and captured some brilliant memories.

My dad instilled the love of travel in me, I guess. As long as I can remember, every year he'd pack us up and off we went on 2 week vacations. It's how I claimed 46 states, 5 provinces and a day in Mexico. Of course some of those were when I was adult too because we continued to travel together. Always an adventure. Then in 2000 we took a month's journey to France, England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. In 2005 I was divorced and living in NC when my sister called and said, "We are going to Spain for Easter break and have a Marriott timeshare in Marbella for 10 days want to go? It turned out to be a fabulous vacation with many memories. We also went to Gibraltar and a brief time in Germany on that trip. I loved it but I've never ventured to Asia or Africa (even though I could see Africa from my room in Marbella across the Mediterranean and from Gibraltar). I've never been in the Southern Hemisphere either. Hmmmmm. I have some items to put on that bucket list! I've never done "exotic."

Susan, your room is gorgeous and so spacious. Enjoy!!

Well that's it. Have a good 'un all y'all.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Aug-03-15 at 09:31.
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-15, 21:33

BF:

Blue, I love the story about your sister taking you off to Spain. That sounds like an amazing trip and a great way to get away from your troubles. Good for her.

My father was in the army when I was born, he did not go off to WWII right away but traveled around the country with his troops on their train. My mother drove all over the country with my 5 year old brother and me. I was born in El Paso and 6 weeks later we drove to New Jersey. I had my first 5 birthdays in 5 different states and my 6th in Korea. After that we went back to El Paso and my father had his first heart attack and retired from the army. My mother liked it there and so we stayed there.

I came by my ability to travel alone from my mother. Also when I was 11 my family went to Kentucky to see my grandparents and then to St Louis to visit my aunt. I stayed with her for a month and she sent me home on the train by myself. I did that the next year too. My aunt was never married and she took me on lots of great trips, including Washington DC when I was 14 and The Seattle worlds fair when I was 20.

John's father also had a traveling job when John was a baby, so he grew up on wheels too. So we have done a lot of traveling together. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with a trip to Hawii which was our 50th state to visit. The last lower 48th state we made it to was Vermont, which he had missed although we had been to New Hampshire and Maine. We made a special trip there a couple of years ago. We also went to Alaska since we have lived in iowa. I Have to figure out how many Canadian Provinces I have been to. British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Quebec.

But this will be my first trip to the Great Britain.

Well, my weight is stalled. But I guess I should say I am maintaining well and quit trying to lose. Blue, I am sorry about your foray into cookie monsterdom. Yesterday I thought about eating ice cream at the local National Night Out neighborhood event. But I decided not to go. I think about eating ice cream every day. Sigh!!!
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 11:13
It's Only Food!

BF:

Afternoon, Kids!

Geeze Louise, the time is flying by. My former boss is now in residence and it's SO, SO, SO good to have him back. It's been great and we have razzed him as best we can to welcome him back. Work is busy but it's a good busy.

I seem to have lost that splurge gain so I'm feeling better about that. Yeah, I was stressing over the painting. The client is happy with it so that makes things a lot easier.

I got a new camera and really need to read the instruction book. So far, with the limited use I've had with it, it has taken some great shots. Can't wait to learn more about it and experiment.

I admire your mom, Susan. Military wives had to learn to be independent and brave. What else could they do. But it provided a foundation for you to grow and learn independence. That's a good thing!

If I quit futzing around I could get back on the losing path again. I'm workin' on it. Today is an unplanned fasting day. It's called not getting my act together this morning to pack a lunch day really but it sounds more noble to call it a fasting day.

Hope you all are enjoying your Friday Eve.

Later 'gators!
  #120   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-15, 07:26
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Moving down again. Yay me!

It has been a busy week since we are winding down summer term with all the requisite end of term reporting and we're gearing up for fall with all it's requisite reporting. Lots to do and some unusual things this week.

Having my boss back is great. He's as happy to be back as we are to have him. I didn't realize the stress I was under before because my last boss was not totally versed in how all this functions so I was having to put out some of her fires as well as my own. These past couple of days have been peaceful and fun. Two attributes I welcome.

My painting is nearing completion and I hope to put it to rest this weekend. Then I'll have to gear up for the next one in line. I have three waiting in the wings. THEN, maybe, I'll paint for myself. We'll see.

We're also painting the interior of the house so we haven't completely unpacked and put things back since the flooring was done. Busy, busy but it's all good.

I got new progressive lenses in my glasses and, at first, it wasn't working for me at all. I went in to have them adjusted and now I'm doing okay with them. They had bent them the opposite way I needed so they adjusted them and I seem to be adapting. If I find them too much of a hassle or if they strain my eyes I can go back to the lined ones. I think I won't need to. Being such a visual person I'm a hard sell. So far, so good.

I have Jimmy Moore's new cookbook and hope to dive into it today. I got it last week but it's been too hectic to sit and read. I need some new ideas about food. There is a keto rating on each recipe which helps immensely.

Even though my weight is the same-ish (no significant changes), I feel squishier and smaller. You know you feel when you're on the losing side of a number instead of the gaining side? Yeah, that's what I feel. So I'm hopeful.

Okay, that's it for this entry into Blue's Blog. I know Susan is meeting deadlines but I would like to hear about Kathy's reunion, Jan's new job, Linda's son, and ronchin's progress and life. <snap><snap> Get with it!

Later 'gators!