Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/OKL
Stats: 193/173.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default I'm 75 and wondering if there are any folks on here my age

Mostly just curious. So far I haven't seen anyone say they are my age or greater.
Not sure the problems I have with losing are that much different from those younger but still over 50. Perhaps a few more meds and even lower metabolism.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 16:08
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Well, there are a whole bunch of us over 50.... and welcome
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 17:44
Registered Member

BF:

Becky, thanks for the welcome.
By the way, as a young child (3-~5) I lived in Panama (Canal Zone, then). Don't remember much, but have my parents' home movies.
My first reason for coming to this site is to follow what is now the "Lab rats thread" so your name is familiar.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 21:03

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Lou---I'm active on the 60's thread but it's really slow now. I'm 71 and will be 72 in August. Are you active physically? I've been working on getting more active for the last 6 weeks. I felt myself going to far backwards and downwards. I'm exercising a little at home, a little in the gym and a little in the swimming pool. My goal is at least 6 days per week. What state do you live in? I'm in Central Texas. myrt
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 11:44
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Myrt. Good to hear from someone in the same decade!
Yes, I am somewhat active, take a yoga "in chairs" class once a week. (We do standing poses, just don't get down on the floor.) My main exercise is riding a stationary bike about 30 minutes most days. I read mysteries while doing it, so when the story gets good, I get more time in. My feet aren't in good enough shape to stand a lot of walking, so I'm hoping when my weight gets down, I can walk more. Swimming would be fun and one of my podiatrist's suggestions.
The state I live in is Kansas, but we're in the Kansas City metro area and can walk to Missouri without getting winded, about 5 blocks.
I was born in Texas, Mineral Wells, but we moved when I was 8 weeks old, so not too many memories! Are you from Texas, or just retired there? Lou
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 21:06

BF:

Lou---I'm not from TX. I was born in San Francisco and we left after I finished 1st grade, spent one year south of Portland, OR, and then in 3rd grade we moved to Eastern Washington and I stayed there till I got out of high school. I moved to Seattle as a young adult and met an engineer from Boeing and we got married in 1963. We travelled all over the US with his work and lived in 15 states altogether. I like TX best for year round living. I have lived in Houston, Irving, Dallas, Lewisville, Austin, and now in the Hill Country (Central TX). My husband of my youth passed away summer of 2006, then I had a boyfriend that passed away in 2009, then I met and married a retired Army man and today is our 2nd wedding anniversary. I hope this guy stays healthy.

Tomorrow we (hubby and I) are going to the gym. I missed going Saturday so I only went to exercise 4 days last week. Will try for 5 this week.

How's your weather up there? We haven't had much winter this year.

Talk to you later, myrt
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm 61. Close enough, huh? Lou, you must be in great shape to be able to ride an exercise bike for 30 minutes! 15 is all I can do - and it makes my knee hurt. I must do better!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 23:13
Registered Member

BF:

myrt...Happy Anniversary!!
Your adult moving sounds like my childhood. Dad was an engineer and Mom loved to travel. I, too was married in 1963, but we've now lived here in KS since 1965.
We've had very little winter this year also. And it's looking like spring.
pollyanna...I agree, close enough. Thanks for writing. I'll bet you're working harder in your 15 minutes on the bicycle. I don't believe in pushing into much pain (that's from yoga, I guess, listen to your body)

I'm thinking I should give this thread up and just jump onto the over 60 one. What do both of you think?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 14:04

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

You don't actually believe anyone is going to fess up to being over 70 do you?

(Whips a quick turn with her rollator)

Last edited by Chanteyl : Mon, Mar-05-12 at 18:17.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 21:56

BF:

Pollyanna--I think 15 mins. on the bike is great. It's just whatever we can do. If you can't seem to add anything to the 15 mins on the bike just try something else along with it. Have you tried doing some light weights or exercise bands along with it?

I went to the gym today and did 15 mins. on the recumbant bike and started to do some other exercise but didn't feel good so I took my toys and went home. Tomorrow I'm going in the pool to do PT exercises and that's always fun.

Lou---I like your idea of reading while riding the bike. If I can remember to take ear phones I can watch TV while riding and maybe I could go a little farther that way. I've never heard of yoga in a chair...neat idea.

For a great Tuesday, myrt
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-12, 04:10

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'll be jumping over to the 60 board, too.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 23:49
Registered Member

BF:

Just one reply to Chanteyl and then off to the 60's.
Chanteyl, I love your humor, but need to know, what is a rollator?
Sounds like a kind of walker or wheelchair.
Lou
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 00:58

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am not..however, I am very inspired by all of you. I have almost thrown in the towel so many times. Makes me feel like a whimp. Let's just go with the saying "you are as young as you feel". More power to you!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 04:43

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

A rollator is the walker with the wheels and they have brakes. They are a racy-looking red. My DM refused to use a walker, only the rollator.

Once I bought her new handle grips made for a bike. The kind with the streamers. DM just died last year at 95. She wouldn't go to senior functions b/c they were for old people.

Good grief I've been looking at body builder magazines and checking out cosmetic tatoos and tummy tucks. It's not over til it's over. I am not above using my age to get out of housework or anything else I don't want to do.

Last edited by Chanteyl : Thu, Mar-08-12 at 05:22.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 21:29

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Older than 75

Hello Lou S, I am new to this forum but had to let you know there is at least one more of us in the 70's age range. Actually in May I will be hitting the big 80 mark and it doesn't seem possible.
I have been on and off carb diets for a great part of my life, my downfall is always sweets even though I know I am going to suffer from the effects, in tiredness, migraines etc. this time I am going to really try and stick to it and if I fall off, I'm going to get right back on again. You would think at almost 80 I would have a little more will power.
My dining room table is loaded with every carb book I have ever bought as I study and try to decide which is the best way to go, in the meantime I am just cutting carbs and looking for recipes which I see plenty of both here at this site and in the books I have but I have not got a lot of the products mentioned such as almond flour and others. I am open to any and all advice.
I have granddaughters who live in Cimarron, Kansas not sure how close that is to you.
I am glad to see someone close to my age and hope there are others as well.
In the meantime its nice to meet you and look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Last edited by nannipatti : Sat, Mar-24-12 at 21:35. Reason: Spelling