Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 04:04

Plan: Slim Forever
Stats: 74/73/63
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Slim Forever

Hi everyone. I tried Atkins last year but fell off the band wagon after losing 4.5kg. I have put back 3 kg over a 5 month period and am heartily disgusted with myself. Has anyone out there tried Slim Forever by Dr Richard Harris. I picked myself up a copy today. It's my bed time reading for tonight. It looks more managable than Atkins so I have my fingers crossed.

I am so absolutely sick to death of feeling unhappy with my weight and going up and down and round and round. I really do not want to keep going on this round a bout for the rest of my life. It's too short as it is.

It's really wonderful to have a forum for Aussies/ NZers to chat with one another. At least we all have similar food suppliers that we can share with one another. I absolutely agree about some of the American ingredients/recipes being impossible to follow. Sorry to you guys, but some of your foods really blow me away.

I have one amazingly awful headache right now. I think I'm suffering from caffeine withdrawl. I only drink about three cups a day but I haven't had any since yesterday morning.

Good luck to everyone out there who is trying to make themselves even more beautiful than they already are. Ciao
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 05:56
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome Anndi

I hope you will find lots of support here from the small but strong australasian contingent. It is indeed tough for us here, but the low carb community is growing stronger. Your comment below, I can so realte to:

Quote:
I am so absolutely sick to death of feeling unhappy with my weight and going up and down and round and round. I really do not want to keep going on this round a bout for the rest of my life. It's too short as it is.

I remember a television commercial once (which I think was for weight watchers or jenny craig) that had a woman floating in a pool, diving through the water, and the ad said something along the lines of.. wouldn't it be nice to never have to spend time thinking about your weight again, so you can use that time to do other things. HOW TRUE IS THAT. I never stuck with the organisations plan for me, but those words have stuck with me always.. Imagine never having to use that energy thinking about losing weight again, what a relief.

Welcome again.

Kim
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Hear hear!

Sometimes I think about how much emotional and mental energy we spend on hating our weight and resolving to change it - I wonder how many calories that equates to and how many cities we could all power for how long!! hehehe!

It's a bit like when I gave up smoking. Spending an average of $150/month on cigarettes for 10 years equals $18,000 which is quite a nice deposit on a house. Nearly gave me a heart attack when I worked that out - and not because of the smoking/being fat!!

(Getting wise is a health hazard!?) hehehehe

Rebecca
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Hi there!

Welcome Dianne!

Don't worry about that headache - it's caused from living in Townsville! Move up to Cairns and that will change that :P
No, I joke - I like Townsville a lot actually!

I think that feeling of 'not wanting to think about it anymore' is actually what brings us back up the yo-yo.

I've lost a heap of weight, then gone - "Good, I won't worry about it now", but then it creaps or plunges right back up

Eternal vigilance will keep it off. But thats pretty difficult.

As Karnen's sig goes

Quote:
Progress not Perfection

Good Luck!

LC_Dave
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 18:17

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Hi Andi

I look at being overweight as a transitional period to being a much healthier me - like the preparation time on a really involved recipe. It may not always be easy/fun, but it is only a short term situation (now that we are doing something about it) with a great result. A year may seem like a long time, but when you think about how long we live, and how long we might have been overweight, it is really only a short time.

One thing that has helped me enormously are affirmations. It can sound a bit daft, but it really has helped me. Here is how it works.
Choose one thing in your life you want to concentrate on changing. Phrase it in a way that is short, positive and proactive. Don't use future tense, use present. Then turn it into your mantra. For the first few days, as soon as you get up in the morning and as just before you climb into bed at night, write it out 11 times. After a few days, just do it looking at your face in the mirror, and you will believe it.

Mine is:
I am beautiful, inside and out. I am living this beauty.

Another thing I am very fortunate about it, is having a doctor that put me on the program. I see him ever 2 weeks - same day/same time. After seeing him I am all fired up and ready to kick some tushie. That lasts a little over a week. When I start to get "those" thoughts (few and far between though) it is only a couple of days before going to see my doctor again, so I stick to my guns and don't break. If I do break, it is only a little one, and I climb right back on. Life is too short to feel guilty about eating too many mangos with your champagne.

Stick with it. If you believe in yourself you can do it. Remember, what you focus on expands.

Luv
Rey
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 13:43

Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default headache

Hi Anndi
Just a quick note about the headache - I had mine for the first 6 days or so - I felt dreadful - completely exhausted, and with this pounding headace. It seems it was from the caffiene withdrawal - it will go.

Hang in there - Lucy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:01

BF:
Cool Thanks for the welcome

It was great to read all your replies and encouragements. Thanks everyone.

Now LC_Dave, don't you start that Townsville/Cairns rivallry now!! I love living in Townsville. However I am looking forward to a trip North in May. Coming up to visit Cairns, Port Douglas and the Daintree. We are meeting up with some friends from Perth who have never been over here before. Can't wait. I am very keen to be trim, taut and terrific by then, so it's heads down and mouth closed for me!

My headache has gone and I have taken to herbal tea like a duck to water. Peach/raspberry is delicious.

I'm finding the slim forever program different, but it makes heaps of sense. It's protein only during the day and then a protein and carb meal at night. Also limits the quantity of protein and carbs so they are not unlimited. Seems very doable though. I think I wrote that the author was Dr Richard Harris but he is an actor. It's actually Robert Harris. Silly me.

It's shopping day today so I am going to go and plan my list of must haves. Thanks everyone.

Dianne
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 09:23

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've recently come back to low carbing properly, I wandered away from the flock and got lost, found myself on Carbohydrate Highway heading towards Fatsville again. Luckily I only gained 2 kilos before I put my foot down and came back.
I had mega headaches for the first week, they're settled down now. I put it down to carb withdrawal. My body also responded with lots of cravings, now know how to satisfy them the low carb way. I've also lost those 2 kilos and a bit more.

cheryl
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:40

BF:
Angry cravings

So far, and it's only been five days, I have not felt any great cravings. The first day was a little tough having to hang out til night time to eat carbs but since then I think my body is getting used to the idea.

Cheryl, I know how easy it is to fall off the program. Great to hear you are back carbing and have lost the regained kgs. I still have three more to go to get back to where I was four months ago but hey, nothing good was ever achieved overnight.

I really recommend drinking tea to alleviate hunger pangs. I have found an organic one in Coles called Virgin Garden which is also caffeine free. It tastes terrific. Also the herbal teas are lovely and are a real treat. I especially like peach/raspberry and blackcurrant.

Keep up the good work everyone.