Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 07:41
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Cool Fast Devil's Food Cake

The Low Carb Friends Bulletin Board has some great threads on fast cakes, such as 3-minute Chocolate Cake and 3-Minute Vanilla Cake.

Below is my modification to make a Devil's Food Cake, which has more chocolate and lower calories (by replacing butter with sour cream) than the original 3-minute chocolate cake.

Ingredients

2 T Almond Flour
2 T Whey Protein Isolate
2 T Cocoa Powder
1/2 t Baking Powder
5 packets of Splenda (or No-Carb stevia powder to cut carbs)

1/2 T Melted Butter
2 T Sour Cream
1 Egg

In a 2 cup Pyrex glass container, blend all dry ingredients. Add sour cream, melted butter and egg, then mix throughly. Cover with glass lid (vented) or plastic wrap with a slit cut in center for venting. Microwave on high for about 70 seconds. The cake should look a slightly wet when it comes from the microwave; it will dry as it cools. This makes 2 servings.

If you don't have whey protein isolate, it can be replaced with more almond flour or with soy flour, Atkins or Carbsense bake mix. If you like a richer cake, more butter can be used. The cake is also very good with coconut or nuts added to the batter or when iced with a sugarfree icing. This tastes and looks like a "real" devil's food cake!

Nutritional Info for the Entire Cake:

Calories - 343
Total Fat - 29.9 g
Saturated Fat - 9.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat - 2 g
Monounsaturated Fat - 8.1 g
Cholesterol - 243 mg
Sodium - 410 mg
Potassium - 828 mg
Carbohyrdate - 13.1 g (total)
Fiber 3.3 g
ECC 9.8 g
Protein - 26.6 g
Vitamin A - 28%
Vitamin C - 0%
Calcium - 37%
Iron - 6%
Vitamin D - 0%
Vitamin E - 5%
Riboflavin - 38%

ECC for one serving is 4.9 g
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 18:36

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Carolyn,
Thank you so much for posting this! I am always on the lookout for single serving LC desserts (I live alone and am too lazy to make a whole cake and also because I've found that having a whole cake around is dangerous ) and I plan on making this one tonight.

Tam
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

I made this last night and yummmmmmmm. I do not have splenda, so I used half a package of SF Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Mix instead.
I also did not let it cook all the way and left it mushy. It is so so very good. I think I am going to try to frost it with a cream cheese frosting next time. This was amazing!

cheers,
Judi
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 11:20

Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

here is a picture, with cream cheese frosting:

#5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:57

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default It's so good

Just had to add my 3 cents!

This is absolutely the best quick lowcarb treat I've come across. I love it because it makes a nice small cake, perfect so you don't have too much around.

My favourite version is using "Designer Whey White Chocolate" and only 1 tablespoon of cocoa. I also cut back the splenda to 4 pkgs. I top with whatever whipped cream cheese I have...blueberry is my favourite.

I'm also able to add a tsp. of extra fibre supplement which I work into my diet daily.

I hope this thread keeps coming surfacing for those who may have missed it.

Thanks to the original creator!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 05:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

Where can I find

Almond Flour
Whey Protein Isolate?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 07:21
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONILUV
Where can I find

Almond Flour
Whey Protein Isolate?

Almond flour is ground up almonds. You can sometimes find it at your local grocery store or health food store. You can also buy it online or buy almonds and grind your own.

I buy whey protein isolate from Wal-Mart. My local health food store also sells it. In addition, it's available many places online. However, for this recipe, if you wish you can skip the whey protein isolate (powder) and use all almond flour.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:35
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Is the nutrition information for the cake made with Splenda, or with Stevia?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:48

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Thanks for sharing, CarolynC. I love your devil's food and lowered cal version! I used vanilla flavored whey protein I purchased from Costco (pharmacy section). It's available in a huge container for about $24. Since it is pre-sweetened I only used four packets of Splenda.

I pre-measured four small ziplock sandwich bags with the dry ingredients for future use. Can you imagine cooking one of these in the office microwave one day?

Coworker: What are you doing?
Me: Not much... Baking a cake.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:44

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I don't have to imagine, I have baked both the 3 minute chocolate cake and the instant almond cake at work. In fact, after I baked the almond cake, I piled strawberries and whipped cream on them, they had it for breakfast. Needless to say the muffin munchers were jealous.

brobin
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 09:09
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog
Is the nutrition information for the cake made with Splenda, or with Stevia?

splenda packets
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 09:11
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoUSA
Thanks for sharing, CarolynC. I love your devil's food and lowered cal version! I used vanilla flavored whey protein I purchased from Costco (pharmacy section). It's available in a huge container for about $24. Since it is pre-sweetened I only used four packets of Splenda.

I pre-measured four small ziplock sandwich bags with the dry ingredients for future use. Can you imagine cooking one of these in the office microwave one day?

I'm glad you like it, GeoUSA.

I'm moving into a new office--with a microwave--next month. I'll have to try your idea of taking pre-measured ingredeints in ziplock bags.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:48

Stats: 174/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

OH, My God!!! This is unbelievable!!!! I just made the cake now. It is to die for! Hard to believe that this isn't the real thing! Delicious!!!! What a treat! Does anyone have a recipe for sugar free icing? Not that this cake really needs it... it's great all by itself!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:20

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Hi Jessicakjj. I made icing once for a chocolate cake using a recipe I found that uses sugar free, instant pudding. I used chocolate pudding. It was okay, but was not the thick and fudgy type of icing I prefer. A cream cheese frosting might be good or a simple chocolate ganache of melted bakers chocolate, Splenda, and a little water mixed together and poured over the top.

(By the way, one T of natural peanut butter in the cake batter is an interesting variation.)

1 pkg Jello® Sugar Free Vanilla pudding*
1 8 oz. container mascarpone or cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
3 pkts Splenda®
Half 'n Half (to thin to make spreadable if needed)

Whip mascarpone or cream cheese in food processor or with electric mixer until smooth. Add cream and mix again briefly. Add pudding mix and Splenda® and mix well. Add Half 'n Half in 1/2 teaspoon amounts if needed. Makes enough to frost 32 cupcakes (2 batches) and will store in fridge or can be frozen. This recipe can also be spread in fudge pan, frozen and cut in squares as a treat.
* Chocolate Jello® pudding can be used for Chocolate Frosting or fudge.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:42
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I've never iced this cake, although I frequently have a scoop of low carb vanilla ice cream on top of the warm cake.

However, chocolate fudge frosting that is made over a stovetop (the same way chocolate fudge is made) should be readily adaptable to low carb. The only high carb ingredient in cooked fudge frosting is the sugar, which you should be able to replace with spenda. Some fudge frostings add a tablespoon or two of corn syrup (for a recipe that frosts an entire large cake), but you should be able to omit that or replace with splenda. Corn syrup is more for consistency, but for a small cake like this I don't think it would matter much.