Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 20:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Joint pain

Yesterday I did two really fast hour long walks with the dog to the lookout and back, so two hours exercise which is not unusual... I do at least an hour a day. The difference was the speed.
Trouble is, I really hurt last night and I got this burning pain within my joints and it's still there today when I walked for an hour - I had to take this really slowly so it didn't hurt.

Can anyone tell me what this could be?

I think it must be linked to thyroid probs because I never had this when I was running marathons or any other time. I couldn't run one mile now, compared to 24 back then... It's shocking how a body can change.

If anyone has any ideas about it or supplements I can take for preventing this I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Last edited by Annabel33 : Fri, Sep-15-06 at 03:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Annabel,

You might consider krill oil - here's a great article on it from Dr. Michael Eades (of Protein Power fame):

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/..._krill_oil.html

Notice in Dr. Eades' article, that he also takes curcumin (sp?) along with the krill oil. And while Dr. Eades doesn't say that he has arthritis of any kind, he does experience joint pain when playing golf - and he has found that the combination of krill oil and curcumin works as well as, or better than, tons of Advil.

Also recommended for joint pain are:

Glucosamine Chondroitin - a common supplement recommended to those suffering with joint pain

Fish Oil - might help reduce the inflammatory reaction

MSM is supposed to help as well, but my husband - who has osteoarthritis - hasn't found it made much difference for him, but it might be worth a try. Seems to help some people.

Oh - and we recently got a treadmill and my husband has found that he does NOT ever get flare ups or joint pain while using it, whereas on very long walks on the pavement, he'll often experience joint pain.

Quote:
The F80 treadmill steps up to the Cushion Flex Whisper Deck, shown in a study to reduce impact up to 40% as compared to running on asphalt.

I'm sure there are other treadmills on the market that also have this decent deck which reduces impact.

We didn't have any trouble finding the krill oil in our local health food store. Doubt that places like drugstores have it yet though.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sara
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

When my thyroid was low I felt like I had glass in my joints, still get tendon pain occassionally. I had a lot of swelling in my hands with the pain. More thyroid and it went away.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 11:43

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Meanwhile, take something for the inflammation, like ibuprofen. And ice your sore joints. Sometimes when I hurt I try to enjoy the fact that it means that I did something physical!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 10:15
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Are you taking statins (cholesterol lowering meds)? For some people, they have the bad side effect of weakness, muscle and joint pain, because they inhibit the body's manufacture of CoQ10.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 18:34

BF:

No Miz, no statins. No drugs at all apart from thyroxine. Thanks though.

Thanks Citrus, helpful stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 18:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
When my thyroid was low I felt like I had glass in my joints, still get tendon pain occassionally. I had a lot of swelling in my hands with the pain. More thyroid and it went away.

Yes Nawchem, this is exactly the description I would use too.
I'm seeing my doc after the school holidays are over. Hopefully going to try some Armour along with the Thyroxine to see if it helps.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 10:46

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Could also be arthritis.
I take a supplement for joint pain that contains hyaluronic acid, collagen and MSM. It helps.