Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/162/145 Male 179 cm
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Atkin's Diet and Hepatitis A

I have been on Atkins for quite a long time until recently, and it really did miracles! Two weeks ago, however, I was diagnosed with hepatitis A and had to stay for a week in the hospital. The diet there was surely not a low-carb one. Even though my doctor says that the only dietary restriction for me now is alcohol, I still hear a lot of comments from my parents (they are doctors, but live in another country) that I have to watch my diet now. They suggest that I should eat non-fat foods, more vegetables, fruit and bread. So, I have concerns if I actually can follow Atkin's diet now, after being sick with hepatitis A. Will such a diet have negative effects on my liver or not? I also feel that eating high-fat foods will be tough for me, even though I read before that high-fat foods consumption is very important for a low-carb diet. Anyway, I am very confused about what I should eat now... I also notice that I start gaining weight with normal diet now and it really upsets me... I want to go back to Atkin's, but I am very anxious about it at the same time... Please, help me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:52

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Find a nuitritionist, or really learn HepA

I thought HepA was something you got over, not something that lingered forever like HepC? Don't know the physiology of it. If you can't find a sympathetic nuitritionist who understands, you might have to really learn your way around the disease and see what its long-term effects are.

Makes sense that you would gain on a high-carb diet.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 16:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, cs_carver, for your reply. Normally, people get over Hepatitis A in a couple of months, and it is certainly less harmful than Hepatitis C or B. The problem is that I live in Belgium at the moment and finding "a sympathetic nutritionist" might be extremely tough. Many Europeans are just not keen on the idea of low-carbing... So, I wonder now what effects a low-carb diet has on the liver... I really can't go with eating all the high-carb foods... I just don't get satiated with them and keep craving for more... And gain weight... I've never had this craving problem with the Atkin's diet before...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 06:44

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Books

I'm at home this morning with my reference books.

Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution does not call out Hep. by name. He recommends choline/lecithin as an aid to processing fats in the liver; niacin as a general supplement; glutamine for treatment of cirrhosis, SAM and methionine for general liver failure including hepatitis.

Michael Murray's Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine does address hepatitis, and recommends massive vitamin C (40-100 g; do not try this lightly and you have to step up gradually, also step down because you can induce scurvy with sudden changes in Vitamin C levels). He also suggests liver extracts, silymarin, licorice extract (be careful, can raise blood pressure and interfere with other meds) and phyllanthus amarus, which I've never heard of.

My MD sells me a liver detox blend which contains cysteine, glycine, methionine, phenylalanine, glutamine, glutathione, carnitine, and a few others. I live in an area with one of the highest levels of formaldehyde in the US, and I've had allergies since I moved here. This was the first year I didn't need meds to get through pollen season, and I credit the detox formula.

All of that said: I am not a medical professional and I know nothing about hepatitis except it's a bad thing. Both of the books are available from amazon. I didn't look into their bibliographies.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you, Cs Carver! I greatly appreciate your help! I had an appointment with my doctor this morning and aksed her about eating high-fat, low-carb after Hep. A. She said it would be OK, as long as I don't consume alcohol or take certain medications. She also looked at the results of my blood tests and said that they are back to normal... So, I think that hepatitis A is not such a bad thing, certainly not as bad as hep. B or C. Those can become chronic and even cause liver cancer or cirrhosis, according to her and some information I read on the net. So, I guess tomorrow will be my first day of induction! Thanks again for your advice!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 10:12

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:

hey all. i had hep b years prior to my starting low carb and i have not had any problems with lc.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 12:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You know, one thing that i have noticed about myself. I cannot drink a glass of wine without feeling it. Regardless if I have had something to eat or not ( a full stomach once negated its affects ).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 16:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hello jedswife!

Could you please tell me if your hepatitis was/is chronic or not? I am not quite sure if this is something you have permanently or not. Thanks