Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 16:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Low carb diets & Muscle gain

Taken from Muscular Devlopment, based on info taken from American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Abstract #3326, 2001 ...

Nutrition experts have argued for years about the benefits of low-carb/high-protein, high-fat diets for losing weight and cutting body fat.

Critics say these diets cause muscle loss and increase the risk of heart attack. Also, the diets may be diffucult to follow for the many months it takes to lose signifigant amounts of weight.

N.G. Avery and co-workers from Ball State University (in Indiana) studied 10 men who ate a very low carb, moderate protein for six weeks.

The subjects continued thier normal exercise programs so they could maintain their muscle mass.

After 6 weeks, the subjects lost nearly six pounds of weight and 10 pounds of fat, while gaining 3 pounds of lean tissue.

This study shows that the low carb/high fat diet helps people lose body fat -- at least for six weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 16:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Dan, this is an excellent find!

I'll add it to our studies section.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 08:54

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Progress: 0%
Default muscle gain and weight loss!

I've been low carbing for four weeks and i exercise for about 40 mins 3 times a week. I have lost 10 lb in weight but i can see the shape of my upper arms and my thighs is streamlining lovely.
I wondered if by exercising three times a week and sticking to low carb, will i actually gain weight by increasing my bodies ratio of lean tissue. I'm not too concerned about it now as i only use minimal weights and many rep's but if i increased my weights am i going to balloon into a body builder with no fat and loads of muscles!???
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 00:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/222/150
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Advice for trimming

I was in bodybuilding about 11 years ago. I'm one of the few women that are genetically prediposed to gaining muscle mass. I still retain alot of muscle in my legs and glutes probably because I still use them the most. Now I know that weight training builds muscle and therefore speeds metabolism but I don't want any more muscle. I look about 40-50 lbs less that I really weigh because of the muscle I carry but I want to trim down. I enjoy walking and am now on an asthma medication which is allowing me to begin jogging. Only a few minutes at a time. I also really enjoy my healthrider to stay toned, it doesn't seem to add muscle. Is there anything else you can recommend to help with endurance, trimming fat and speeding metabolism without lifting? Also I'm a full time music/vocal major and work full time so I don't have a couple hours a day to spend in the gym. Thanks for any advice you can give - and by the way - whoever said you loose all this muscle when you quit lifting doesn't know what they are talking about, you just put on fat over top of the muscle and maybe some intermusclular fat but mine hasn't broken down in 11 years!!!!!! I can't wait to cut the fat and have that body back but I want to loose about another 50lbs before I start lifting again.

Donna Van Tine
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 18:27

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: muscle gain and weight loss!

Quote:
Originally posted by phoebe-tom
I wondered if by exercising three times a week and sticking to low carb, will i actually gain weight by increasing my bodies ratio of lean tissue. I'm not too concerned about it now as i only use minimal weights and many rep's but if i increased my weights am i going to balloon into a body builder with no fat and loads of muscles!???

Phoebe-Tom,
You won't balloon into a body builder with no fat and loads of muscles by increasing your weights. It would take lots and lots of work (did I mention LOTS?) to become a bodybuilder type. Have you ever had your bodyfat % taken? You should get that taken, take measurements and then when you reach a level that you are comfortable at then you can maintain the weights you are at.

Linda