Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 190/190/140 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Life Without Bread

I have been reading a lot of information on this book and way of eating. I have been wondering if anyone has been loosing weight on it? The stats on this book are incredible, especially when it comes to our health.

Please let me know,

Thank you,
Melanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 23:03

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

The hardest part for me was giving up grain

But i now know it is not good for me, 15 years of heavily medicated IBS and 30 years of eczema gone

I now subconsciously view it as poison, no desire to eat it what so ever
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 23:47

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 30%

Have been on low carb diet for 4 weeks and have lost 18 ibs so far. I can honestly say that I haven't felt this good in a long time. My energy levels have increased, I feel happier, my skin is radiant and I have broken bad food habits.
I have found a new taste for foods and no longer miss bread or starchy high carbs like potatoes, pastas etc.
The first few days on plan can be tough asyou have to rethink your whole eating habits but after that you quickly adapt into the wayof eating.
I am following Atkins diet and so if your interested I would definable recommend buying his New Diet Revolution book or get details off the Atkins diet.
Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 23:49

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 30%

Forgot to say that the point of the Atkins diet is that gradually you begin increasing your carb level until you reach a point where you no longer lose and you know what carbs you can and can't manage. Therefore eventually you may be able to reintroduce the odd slice of bread or the odd potato.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 23:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 190/190/140 Female 5ft 6in
BF:

Hi again, thanks for the responses. This is a book called Life Without Bread Just wondering if you have heard of this low carb diet. The book is about 11 years old and is wonderful. If you have, have you lost weight on it?

Thanks Melanie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 114.5/114.5/105.5 Female 158cm
BF:

haven't read it before. i tried to do a 'only bread' diet once, and it failed miserably. i just can't do without bread at all. it's hard
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 10:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My plan is like Life Without Bread. I have 50-60 net carbs per day, which would be like 5 Lutz "bread units."

I'd say I lose about 1/2 - 1 lb per week - IF I don't go overboard with everything else. I am 5'2" and 58 and I can easily overeat the other things. I think Lutz kind of glosses over that part for smaller older women. Other people might not have to pay attention to amounts but I do.

I feel marvelous though! it is so great to feel good with no cravings.

Also I found it works well for me to put some time in between my consumption of starches. Sort of like intermittent fasting I guess. Or like CAD where one meal has the bulk of it.

Breakfast - little more than 1 bread unit

Lunch - less than one

Dinner - 2 "bread units" ! of fruits and roots
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 10:11

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I now view bread on the molecular level. It's just chains of bonded glucose where those bonds break immediately when the bread hits your saliva. This is why bread makes most of us feel so bad because we might as well be eating table sugar in the same quantity.

One thing I especially don't miss: the inflammation. When I first started Atkins, I lost so much water weight. Apparently, you hold more weight by eating carbs than you do from salt. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's sort of been my experience.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-11, 10:44

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I haven't read Life Without Bread but the title is intriguing. I used to be a bread addict. I couldn't sleep at night if there was no bread in the house. I'd get out of bed and go to the all nite deli to buy some so I could be sure to have toast in the morning. I started the South Beach Diet and had such good results low carbing that eventually I decided my body didn't need grains at all so I quit them completely. Just the freedom from cravings alone would have been worth it, but in addition I've experienced increased energy, decreased weight, vastly improved blood tests, my asthama seems to be gone and I have a new feeling of overall wellbeing. I too view grains as poisons now and have no desire for them whatsoever!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-11, 18:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Melanie, you might be interested to know that Life Without Bread has been reviewed here on our site: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...hout-bread.html

Also, when Dr Lutz died, several members posted that his book had helped them in this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417809