Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Under 60 carbs per day
Stats: 277/240/170 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 35%

snipped:
Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
hi there,

We're simply saying that the focus of Active Low-Carber forums is exclusively for persons who choose a low-carb, high-fat WOE .. either for weight loss or other health reasons. Period.
hth,

Doreen
end of snip

New books come on the market regularly as low-carbing grows in popularity. Not all plans recommend unlimited fat consumption, nor extremely low levels of carbohydrate. Will low-carb "purists" eventually develop a litmus-test for what constitutes "true" low-carbing?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

Cherinfo- I understand what you are saying. I tried to do ww low carb in the past. I did eat some fruit, and it worked ok, but when I tried to eat just the smallest amount of bread, or potatoes, rice, or pasta, I would get the same overwhelming cravings for more and more of the same. I did a commercial plan in the past that allowed very small amounts of bread (1/2 slice a day or 1/2 cup of pasta a couple times a week) it worked well and I lost weight (40 pounds) but whenever I started to eat just a little more of the starchy things, I started craving and overeating on those things, gained back all of the weight plus some. Then I tried to do only ww, not worrying about carbs because I thought that I could not live without them. I see now that the only woe that has ever eliminated the cravings for me, thus eliminating the overeating, was low carb, high protein. You really have to decide for yourself if you want to try to incorporate more carbs. But for me, doing ww and low carb do not mix.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 12:09

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

SNIP------------------------
Originally posted by doreen T
hi there,

We're simply saying that the focus of Active Low-Carber forums is exclusively for persons who choose a low-carb, high-fat WOE .. either for weight loss or other health reasons. Period.
hth,

Doreen
-------------------------------------------------

I was just reading a journal of a lady who has done very well and is a senior member, her plan is: low fat, lowcarb..high protein.
I've noticed a lot of others who don't do HIGH fat.
And there is a whole section of folks that are combining Body For Life and low carbing. I've read the body for life book and it's for sure NOT a low carb plan and does not promote high fat- yet people are doing well at combining the plan - which is great! So suggesting to Cheriinfo to find another support group would be a bit hypocritical of us.

And Miss Mary - the same thing happens to me, one bite can set me off, I understand!
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:56
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

SaturnStar,

The suggestion to Cherinfo about finding another support group was made because of her wish to count Weight Watcher's points.

The point that Doreen, LisaN and I have been trying to make is that this board is for support of low carbers. Weight Watchers is a low calorie, low fat organization. We wish those who prefer WW well, but we will conrinue to suggest they find support elsewhere.

Rosebud
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:58

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Hi Rosebud, I know what you're saying. I think Miss Mary did a great job showing support (which is why we're here) with her personal weight watchers experience and how mixing the two (ww & lc) didn't work well for her. I'm only saying, I think that was far more helpful than suggesting Cheriinfo just go to another site, and then suggest that this site was "exclusively' for people who follow a low carb "high fat" woe (beacuse that just isn't true - lots of people on this site follow high protien low fat or mix BFL w/low carbing) .... just my opinion that's all!
Saturn
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:30
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think Dr. Atkins diet or any other diet can correct the metabolic problem which causes us to gain weight. Until this day nobody has figured out how. Some may pretend so.

Dr. Atkins theory is that our tendancy to gain weight is caused by insulin production problem. His diet is based on this assumption. It allows you to lose weight by reducing your carbohydrate intake substantially until your weight becomes normal, then teachs you to increase your carbohydrate intake to the amount which could just allow you to keep the weight you lost for life.

The allowed amount is not enough so you can eat plenty of fruits, breads or pasta. However, fortunately new food products are coming every day which makes you able to. For example a slice of regular white bread contains 12-15 grams of carbohydrate; Atkins and other companies are now selling bread wich contain 2-3 grams of carbohydrate per slice.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

If you look at the history of WW you will notice it has been moving towards Atkins WOE. It will keep moving towards it as it educated people in a slow motion as not to disturb the multi billion dollar industry.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:00
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

RedheadFl- It will be interesting to see if WW truly does go more LC. Although, of course you could choose to spend the points on anything you wished, I know that when I worked for them in 1999/ 2000, the program was inherently biased towards High Carb, Low Fat. And I agree that their moves in the direction of LC have been very slow.

Cherinfo- Although you started this thread, I see you have not posted lately. Hope your plan is working for you. I have had similar experience. The alternate forums the moderators suggested are kind of general diet forums where all plans are welcome. For another specifically low carb forum, you may want to check out http://www.lowcarbeating.com/default.asp
Combining LC and WW is considered a perfectly acceptable approach there.

All the best,
amieK

Last edited by amieK : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 08:10.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: 280/255/135
BF:
Progress: 17%

amieK,
I tried to view the message you sent me, but apparently I do not have enought posts to log in and actually collect the mail which people are sending me Since I got an email saying I was at my limit a bunch of people have tried to contact me and I have no way of replying. Essentially that means that I will need to post a few more times before I can actually reply. Sorry about that.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:

Geez, I didn't think I had that many posts left to go... Sorry ya'll
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:01

Plan: My own LC plan
Stats: 322/290/200 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default PM box..

Hello Raelaine,
(what a cool name)

You have to empty all of your PM boxes in/sent/tracking/delete and keep them cleaned out. We don't get much storage space there.. I'm a fellow Texan, where are you located? I'm in San Antonio.

You don't seem to have your own journal and I have some information that might interest you. I would love to get your email address and give you mine. Don't post it out in the open, just PM it to me once you are able.

Happy LCing....

Always, Ela

Last edited by ERSmith45 : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 20:02.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Ela,
As soon as I get to my PMs I will send you my info. I haven't started a journal yet because I am pretty scattered right now and have to worst trouble keeping up with those (I've started so many it is rediculous). I live in Dallas, but am from SA. Mom still lives there and sister is getting ready to move back