Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 06:44

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 193/184.2/140 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default fat malabsorption??

I'm in week 3 and still having issues with loose stools. I was hoping this was just a side effect of transitioning over to keto and would resolve after the first few days. Im thinking its probably an issue with fat malabsorption and I may need to start taking digestive enzyme supplements. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any recommendations of some good quality supplements?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 08:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.C
I'm in week 3 and still having issues with loose stools. I was hoping this was just a side effect of transitioning over to keto and would resolve after the first few days. Im thinking its probably an issue with fat malabsorption and I may need to start taking digestive enzyme supplements. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any recommendations of some good quality supplements?

What are you eating? It could be something that you are eating rather than fat malabsorption. That's the first place I would look. I have multiple food sensitivities and have to avoid many foods to keep things "normal".

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 08:16

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I would add too that when I’m just getting back into ketosis, I have the same problem while I’m transitioning and it seems to be worse if I’m eating too much lean meat and not enough fat. But if I eat too much fat, I don’t lose weight. So...it seems to be a delicate balance for some of us.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 09:24

Plan: no sugar, 20-30 carbs/day
Stats: 205/202/145 Female 65 cms
BF:
Progress: 5%

I also think you should look at what you are eating. There is a certain sugar substitute that acts as a laxative, for example. I struggled with constipation in the beginning, so then made sure I get my salad or vegetables every day.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 19:07

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 193/184.2/140 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks for your replies. I have no food sensitivities or food intolerances. Been through that process last year with an elimination diet. I've been in ketosis as far as I know for a good 2.5 weeks, well according to the ketostix ( which I know are not completely reliable, but give me an indication) so not transitioning and Ive been tracking my macros quite strict so I am defo under 20 carbs a day. No abdo pain or any other symptoms. I eat no processed or packaged food and no artificial sweeteners, just plain old real food!!
Pretty sure it is fat malabsorption, and from my research, digestive enzymes are the go! I've had no experience with these kind of supplements, so any recommendations would be great! Cheers.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

That happens to me I take metamucil, kills it instantly. I never counted how long but it lasts a while. This time I try to eat salads and berries and it hasn't been a problem at all.

I took stuff from papaya caused massive horrible burning, was told that's a sign that you're really low and I needed it. Or my problem was gluten intolerance.

My friend took these, no improvement in symptoms because she had a massive gall stone attack after the first day.

Fat malabsorption is a real deal, if your worried I would get tested. I looked it up in my lab book. A Test of Pancreatic Function - Fecal fat analysis.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 04:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

#8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3