Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/196/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Detoxing in Induction phase of Dr. Atkins

Hello again everyone, I just wanted to know if people felt like I did, and somedays still do, when going through the induction. I had a headache for days, a rotten taste in my mouth and felt pretty tired. In the book it says this lasts for a few days, mine lasted nearly two weeks!!! Do you think this is because I badly needed to get all that sugar and garbage out of my system?? Or is it the normal way to react to being in lipolysis?

I am very excited about the Atkins Low Carb plan and I have also read the book eat right 4 your type which has a very similar eating programme. I just hope one day at a time it will keep on happening how it has so far. I hope to start a walking programme soon and then get back into going to the gym like I used to years ago.

If this works I will be Dr. Atkins advocate for a LONG time I think all the posts on here are an inspiration and I get a lot from reading them, so thanks everyone very much for posting, you all are great!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:07
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hi KarenAnne,

I felt the same way when I first started. I think I had headaches for almost 2 weeks as well. But after this I got a burst of energy and felt like a new born person. Hang in there, one morning you will wake up and bounce off the walls

Mischa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:50

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default the Induction Blues

Hi Karen,
Are you taking a multivitamin every morning? Makes a HUGE difference. If you are, seems as if yor metabolism is having a strong reaction. Stay the course...it gets MUCH MUCH MUCH better.
Best,
Mark
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 22:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Induction Blues

Dear Mischa and Mark

Thank you for your posts. I am not taking a huge multivitamin and an "oil" capsule every day, this did make a big difference to me and I am at the stage of feeling better. I always thought I had a slow metabolism, but obviousloy not, because I lost 10 pounds in the first week and a further 6 -6.5 pounds in the second week. I seem to be hovering around that point and although I have a lot more to go, I believe that this way of eating can do it.

I feel like I have great skin, my eyes are clear, I do not have the peaks and troughs in my blood sugar levels anymore because I dont have cravings between meals and I do not miss sugar, bread, rice, pasta etc.. I know that for me these things trigger off a big time reaction in my body and make me want to eat for Scotland!!! So the lower the use of those types of food the better for me.

I would recommend this to anyone who has tried to lose weight for years - succeeded only to put it back on again and then some!

This board is a wonderful support. Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 22:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default OOPS TYPO!!

#6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 22:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default Atkins Customised

Dear Mark

What does it mean when you say in your profile that your eating plan is "Atkins Customised" I would be really interested to know. Btw in the last post entitled typos I was trying to say that I DO take a multivitamin and oil capsule everyday, not the opposite..

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:27
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Smile

Hi Karen,

Glad to hear you are feeling better And congratulations on your loss
I don't know if you know about www.fitday.com, but there you can keep track of your food intake and I find it a wonderful tool and I use it daily. Also you may want to think about starting your journal

Keep up the good work

Mischa
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 14:44

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I too feel the same way. Today is day 6 for me.

Atkins plan is very similar to the diet my naturopath gave me a while back. If you have been a sugar/processed carb junkie for a long time (like myself), he said there is a high amount of yeast in your digestive system. As you do this diet....in the beginning you will feel a bit worse first as the yeast dies off (they only continue to live from sugar and yeast -bread). As they die, they release toxins....that causes the fatigue and headache.

He advised to drink lots of water to help flush out the toxins faster and rest. Let your body heal.

Good Luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
Natascha
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You may also need a calcium/magnesium supplement. Check this link for more information.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:

It is good to be on the other side of the "detox". I am feeling much better and I now take a multivitamin called More than a Multi, I also take an essential oil capsule. I have these three times a day with food. I found that I felt a lot better once I started taking those. It is great to hear other people's experiences as it confirms what I am going through is just the normal process of my body healing!

Thank you for all the support ... I need it. I have started using fitday and filling out my food etc. I also started my journal yesterday. These will all help me towards reaching my goal. I want to be FIT and Forty next year.. not FAT and Forty!!!

Karen