Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 22:29

Plan: Atkins Restarted 2-2-04 Original weight 243 lbs.
Stats: 228/203/150 Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Skipping Breakfast

I've never been a big breakfast eater, even before LC'ing. I know we're supposed to have 3 meals a day at least, but I usually skip breakfast and around 11:30 or so I eat lunch. Usually a small snack around 2:30-3 (not always) and then dinner around 6 or so. I'm still losing weight but should I be eating breakfast or does anyone else do the same as I do? Is this healthy is the main thing I'm wondering. Thanks

Mandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 23:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well your breakfast is what gets your Matabolism going for the day, so try have a little something in the morning.

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 04:03

BF:

Thanks Kathy, i'll try
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 07:16

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I've never been a breakfast eater either and most diets say you really should. I drink coffee(decaf) with cream every morning and 2 or 3 times a week have a couple of sausage links. So far so good.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 07:23
Registered Member

Stats: 190/170/135
BF:too scared to know
Progress: 36%

I have never been good at breakfast either and usually have a few cups of coffee too then jet out the door, but I did read where not eating after a night of fasting (sleeping ) slows your metablosim down, so it is actually better to eat. I'm am still losing and old habits are hard to break.
Good luck to you, though!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 08:52

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I was never a breakfast eater before this WOE, but now I eat it daily. I don't eat 1st thing when I get up but usually wait until 9:30-10AM, then I have a shake or meal replacement bar. I can't stomach a big meal in the morning, but it is important to eat something. If you don't eat in the morning, it will slow your weight loss down even if it doesn't stop it completely. It takes some time to adjust, but now it feels completely natural for me to eat in the morning. I'd suggest trying to eat a little something in the morning, even if only a shake. We should never go over 6 waking hours without eating a little something. Good luck.
God bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 11:19

BF:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm gonna start first thing in the morning. I didn't do it again today But I will tomorrow. I hope...Yes it is hard to break old habits...

Mandy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:59

Stats: 235/208/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I am often in a hury and don't like to eat first thing in the morning so I boil a dozen eggs and keep them in the frige and in the morning i take two to work and have them after a cup of coffee or so and it seems to work great for me!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:14

BF:

Thanks for the tip flange, I bought 2 dozen eggs instead of one to try something similar to that. Thanks again.

Mandy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 05:51

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I like to have an ounce of cheese and a few strawberries. That way I'm breaking my fast but not eating a lot.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 08:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mandy:

You might find this article I posted awhile back of interest. It was on the Atkins site:

Starting the Day Right

Skipping breakfast really unbalances your hormones by increasing adrenaline, thereby increasing stress levels in your body. Stress is one of the better known stallers of weight loss.

From experience, you can learn to eat breakfast and then suddenly one day you'll realize that you can't get by without it.

Good luck,
Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 08:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Breakfast doesn't have to consist of a large meal, either. An ouce of cheese or a few slices of deli roast beef or turkey spread with cream cheese and rolled up or a hard boiled egg would do. As long as you're eating something and not skipping eating altogether.
Metabolisms are a lot like a furnace. As long as the furnace is getting a steady supply of fuel, it continues to burn hot and steady. If you stop giving it fuel or give it fuel inconsistently, it burns cooler and slower. Eating regularly keeps that metabolism furnace burning high and steady.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Breakfast:

4 One Oz. Roast Beef Slices (deli) with 2 Oz cream cheese (with chive) rolled inside of them. DANG-GOOD! Fast and easy too! Follow up with a nice cup of hot green tea, and you have smiles for the mornin!

Best to all;
Jake
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:27

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Take it from me. I used to skip breakfast. As soon as I started eating breakfast, I started feeling better. Now, I hate to even miss it.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:20

BF:

Thanks very much all who have replied. Gives me inspiration to have at least a little something in the morning.

Mandy