Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 07:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/214/200 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default I've hit a wall!! please help

Hello to all...I've reached the end of my 2 week induction, I lost 6 pounds my first week but have stayed at that weight for the duration of the 2nd week...very discouraged,I haven't cheated at all, keeping under 20 net carbs religiously,I'm eating alot of meat and eggs, I do use 2-3 packs of Splenda in my green tea in the am, also on recommendation of a trusted friend I added a Wheybolic protein drink that uses Stevia for a sweetner(package states 3 net carbs per drink.)
Please help, i don't want to quit, any suggestions on getting back into Ketosis and shedding some pounds is greatly appreciated.
Kevy77
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 07:24

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Welcome to the board, Kevy!

Congratulations on losing 33% of the total amount you want to lose in such a short time!

Often the initial quick weightloss slows down after the first week or so, so you might be doing nothing wrong, but it might be worth listing a typical days worth of food including quantities to see if anyone can suggest possible problem foods.

Some people do find that eating too much protein can hinder weight loss efforts, so if you are eating lots of protein as well perhaps dropping the drink would start things up again for you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 07:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi, Kevy. Welcome to the forum. Stick around here for a while, and you'll learn a lot about Atkins and the low-carb lifestyle in general.

For starters, YMMV. "Fast" weight loss doesn't happen for everyone. As Elizellen pointed out, you're doing very well only two weeks in.

Don't let your expectations sink your commitment.

One more suggestion: since you are switching over to fat-burning, be sure you're eating enough fats: butter, olive oil, coconut oil, fat on meat and poultry, heavy cream, etc. Up to 80% of your daily nutrients should be fat at this point.

Read your Atkins plan and see what he says about that.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 07:54

BF:
Progress:
Default typical daily menu

I am posting this typical daily menu in the hopes I can jump start my weight loss as I've seemed to stall after 2 weeks...
wake up - 2-3 cups of hot green tea sweetened with 1 pack of Splenda
breakfast - 3 eggs poached or fried with butter(maybe a few slices of bacon if I have them leftover)
Lunch - 2 -3 cups of tuna salad made with regular mayo, chopped celery, 1-2 dill pickles on the side
Dinner - 2-3 pcs of grilled chicken thighs or 2-3 small pork chops also grilled, 2 cups spinach cooked in olive oil,
Snacks - 1-2 hard boiled eggs, 2 pcs sugar free gum with Xilitol sweetner or a couple of dill pickles
last 3 days the protein drink.
I have eaten a salad a couple of times when out to lunch...creamy ceasar or blue cheese dressing.
I do work out 4-5 times a week so I'm getting plenty of exercise

PLEASE feel free to comment or make suggestions

thanks so much for the kind replies

Kevy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/130/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Kevvy, What helped me was to stop eating breakfast. I was never hungry in the morning but ate eggs anyway, but as soon as I stopped and waited till 1 pm to eat I lost weight. I had a coffee for breakfast then another mid morning. I really enjoyed lunch with having an empty stomach. This is just a suggestion. I wish you good luck. Dont give up. It will happen, maybe slower than you want but it will happen.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 08:22
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Kevy!

Your menu looks pretty good, actually. Let me attempt to encourage you by sharing that I stalled for about 5 weeks after induction, and I have a few thoughts for you.

You said you are exercising 4-5x per week--are you experiencing any soreness? If so, your muscles could be holding water, which means that you could be losing fat, but your losses are not showing on the scale because of the water weight.

As for figuring out food culprits, the first place I would cut out would be the shakes and any sweeteners and see how you do without them. This can help you kick cravings to the curb (if you are experiencing that) or show you whether or not the sweeteners stall your losses. YMMV on that, really, though, because sweeteners affect each person differently. It seems like the rest of your menu is great!

What ended up getting my weight to budge in the end was to eat to my BMR for a few weeks. If your final goal is indeed 200 and that's within healthy weight for your height, that might account for why your weight loss has slowed. I have always been told that it's not a stall unless it lasts 6 weeks, btw, so you might be ok still to just follow the diet to the letter and still start losing again, versus trying to tweak this early on.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 09:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I stalled my second week and took a little while to get going again. My belief is that its just your body getting used to a new WOE. Your also switching over to using fat for energy. Your body doesn't really know how to think of this, so it may be thinking that you are not providing it with any sources of energy. Give it time to figure out what its supposed to do.

I can't have any type of shakes at all - I will stall out big time (and usually gain). If your stall keeps up I would cut them out to see if you can get things going again. I'm am also one of those people that has to keep my fat high and my protein moderate-low.

Keep going - you will learn alot about yourself on this journey!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 09:29

BF:
Progress:

OK great, I will certainly hang in, thanks for the responses
Kevy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 06:40

BF:
Progress:

thanks to all for the support, I would like to ask for some feedback on the merits of using the "keto sticks" for testing? I'm reluctant to buy them as I have heard mixed reviews on the reliability, and I wouldn't now how to proceed after the results.....thoughts?
Thanks Kevy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 07:47

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforrestal
thanks to all for the support, I would like to ask for some feedback on the merits of using the "keto sticks" for testing? I'm reluctant to buy them as I have heard mixed reviews on the reliability, and I wouldn't now how to proceed after the results.....thoughts?
Thanks Kevy

Don't bother. A woman who ran a popular low-carb site a few years ago stalled for a solid YEAR--and all the while her keto sticks were a nice dark purple. Also once your body has adapted to using ketones the sticks stop changing color anyway.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 12:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforrestal
Thanks Kevy

I never used them. Would rather buy good food with that money. Some people like them, but I don't need them to tell if I'm in ketosis or to keep me accountable. Thats what the scale is for.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%
Lightbulb

FYI, I was recently drinking a lot of Atkins shakes (1-2 daily) + Atkins bars, plus Zevia sodas (that contains "Ertihrytol(?), a "sugar alcohol"), and my weight had stalled.

When reading about stalls, other threads had suggested that "sugar alcohols" might be suspect, even though Atkins said they're nothing to be concerned about & can be subtracted from the carb total.

However, on giving those up several days ago, my weight has started going down again. So maybe take a closer look at your protein shake, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-14, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Camel
FYI, I was recently drinking a lot of Atkins shakes (1-2 daily) + Atkins bars, plus Zevia sodas (that contains "Ertihrytol(?), a "sugar alcohol"), and my weight had stalled.

When reading about stalls, other threads had suggested that "sugar alcohols" might be suspect, even though Atkins said they're nothing to be concerned about & can be subtracted from the carb total.

However, on giving those up several days ago, my weight has started going down again. So maybe take a closer look at your protein shake, etc.

Yes this - I can't have the shakes or bars because I stall. I will grab them from Wawa in a pinch though if I'm starving. Sugar alcohols don't seem to bother me - but something about the Atkins products do.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 12:52

BF:
Progress:

hello, can i ask( knowing everyone is different) what is a normal expectation of weight loss for the 1st few weeks of Atkins? I lost 6 lbs my first week and I'm barley taking off 1 pond per week since,I've been hearing that regardless of the small progress I should stick it out for 4-6 weeks and then it will happen.....thoughts or comments?? thanks KF
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 13:22

BF:

Unfortunately I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this question. Some people lose super fast and some people lose super slow. It just depends on your body and what it wants to do. Maybe check out the Turtles support group and see if your experiences are similar to theirs. In any case stick with it - as long as you are going down thats all that matters!