Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Atkins and a missing gallbladder

I had my gallbladder removed about four years ago and just started the Atkins diet (as of 10 days ago). I was told before leaving the hospital, when my gallbladder was removed, that a low-fat diet was the way I should eat for the rest of my life due to the inhibited production of gall (which digests fat). I have lost 6 pounds since being in the induction phase...but I was wondering if a low-fat version of the Atkins diet is the way to go if one does not have a gallbladder? Anyone know about this? Your advice is much appreciated! I don't want to mess up my liver or anything else by eating a high fat diet considering my situation.

KV
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi KV!

Of course, everyone is different, but I haven't had any problems following a low carb/high fat diet without my gallbladder. I know of at least one person here who does have a problem and needs to follow a lower fat (not low fat) version of low carb. It's not that your body is producing less bile than before, but that it's hitting your small intestine in a steady trickle instead of only being released by the gallbladder when fat is eaten. This can cause some problems and irritation for a few people, but only 10% of people have any dietary problems/restrictions following gallbladder removal.
What my surgeon basically told me after my gallbladder surgery is to eat whatever I wanted. If it bothered me, then I should avoid it. If it didn't bother me, I was good to go.
It seems that you're doing fine so far, so my opinion is that if it's not broken, don't fix it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there KV,

Actually, the gall bladder doesn't produce anything - it is merely a place where bile is stored. Bile is produced in the liver, and, as Lisa says, after GB surgery hits your small intestine in a steady trickle instead of in squirts.

I've seen threads here before where people have discussed their gall bladder surgery. Most are like Lisa - no problems whatever with a high fat diet. How about going to "search" (top right of the page) and looking for previous threads related to gall bladders?

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:30

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago, and my surgeon told me I could eat anything I wanted, even "greasy french fries".

If you are having trouble, you might want to add some digestive enzymes to your daily routine. I use something by TwinLab called Pancreatin. Gallbladder problems often go hand in hand with general digestive problems.

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

no problems here either. My second oldest was 7months old and she is now 33. I agree with everyone else- how do you feel right now-doing the program?
Jan
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm in agreement with the rest of you. I was told the same thing 7 yrs ago about letting my body be the judge on what I can or cannot eat. I only have one problem food and that is breakfast sausage. For some odd reason It flys right thru me. But, I don't seem to be affected by sausage in italian sauses I make. Go figure!
I could not eat ice cream for the first year but unfortunatley that changed and on came the pounds. Should not have kept trying to make it work. Jules
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 20:07

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

KV,

You've had a lot of good advise here... so, mine will just be the "mommy" advise. I would call the Atkins centers and talk with one of staff about your gallbladder surgery and staying LC. There's probably no problem but since we are not medical professionals and this is a medical issue... you should discuss this with a professional. The Atkins program helps so many people with all kinds of medical dilema's ... and yours will probably be the same. But i would just be safe and make sure!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 02:51

Plan: atkins (in a way)
Stats: 165/159/125
BF:
Progress: 15%

hi! i actually asked the sdame question a couple of months ago, i just dont know where to find that thread though...anyways, i did atkins and i didn't have any discomfort or anything to that effect....but it will also be wise to ask a doctor about this matter, coz' it may be different for you.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 04:56

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default no worries - no carbs

no gallbladder - no problem
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:47

Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Missing Gallbladder - Thank you all!

Thank you all for your great advice and insight. I will not worry about this diet then. It hasn't given me any digestive problems thus far. I have been a sugar addict all my life and have finally overcome it through Atkins' plan. I haven't noticed problems with anything on the diet...until I "tried" a product with malitol. Holy cow! I may not survive the next candy bar! LOL

Thanks all for your help! God bless you for caring and offering words of wisdom to me.

KV
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:43

Stats: 000/000/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had my gallbladder out about 8 years ago and I eat better now than I did before. I haven't had any problems at all being on this way of life.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:55

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I agree w/Rustpot! I had my gallbladder removed 3 1/2 yrs. ago and I had more digestive problems eating low-fat/high-carb than I do now on Atkins. Go figure. Granted, I did have a slight adjustment period, but a lot of people, g-bladder or not, have an adjustment period when starting Atkins. Besides, my surgeon who recommended l-fat/h-carb had no clue that my doc wanted me on a modified AHA diet-- thankfully I switched docs and got one who fully supports the LC WOL and Atkins!

If it's working for you and you're happy, then keep at it!

Happy LCing!
Nikki
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:43

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had my gall bladder removed almost 9 years ago. I've been doing fine on Atkins. I just have to make sure I stay away from super rich foods. But I had problems with that even before Atkins. Used to always love fettucine alfredo, but it would give me problems. Had too much cream in my omelete the other day and too many sausages. So now I've cut back. Just do what feels right. I used to say to my mom when I was a kid "Mom, it hurts when I do this" and she'd say "Well, don't do that!" Good advice. I use it on my kids too.

-Cait
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Gall Bladder and Atkins

I had a chronic, "done-for" gall bladder this last fall. I believe in the info that eating low fat creates gall bladder problems/stones as the gall bladder is not being used and doesn't "exercise" and empty properly and stones and sludge build up. I ate nearly perfectly low fat for many years (why I am so overweight!). Anyway, I had a gall bladder with two over an inch stones, one blocking the duct and waiting for surgery, hoping to make it through until after last holidays. The bad thing was I found out about this at my daughter's Girl Scout fieldtrip to study carreers! We went to see what an ultrasound tech does and she asked if she could scan me as an example. She found all this terrible gall bladder condition. At that time (early November), I was only three days into induction and was SSSSSOOOOOO excited to be doing Atkins. She told me "I wouldn't eat ANYTHING with fat in it if I were you!!" Well. I stayed on Induction and was eating about 70% fat (! smile). I went to my doctor the next week and she also told me to avoid all fat, but I was so wanting to eat LC and feeling so much better, and because in my case the gall bladder was stopped up at the duct anyway, I weighed the pros and cons and fears, and I stayed on Induction.. thought I would let my body guide me. (I had had a deep ache for several months, which I thought was stomach, and this continued, but it was tolerable.
Anyway, I tried to wait until after holidays, but the first day of vacation (three days before Christmas) it decided to get much worse and I went into the hospital for removal.
I stayed on Atkins through this all, except in the three days in the hospital when I was on only IVs. I thought I would have lost weight when I got home, but I weighed and had gained 17 (!!!!! yup!! 17 pounds in four days!!!! I didn't even seem swollen?!) I was so upset but stayed on Atkins and within the next week I lost exactly 17 pounds! Whew!!! Water can definately affect weigh quickly and dramatically! I've stayed on Atkins since then and eat high on fat (about 70% some days) and have no more trouble with my gall bladder and feel just great. I am so motivated to continue with LC as a WOE because I am not thinking about and needing food to fight off low blood sugar all day. After the surgery, two doctors told me "no restriction" on eating, and after the chronic pain I had had for several months, I am now a bundle of joyous energy. In fact, when my doctor saw my steady weight loss over several subsequent check ups, she impressed and happy I am stickng with LC!
So, there's another, recent gall bladder story.... the worst day being when the ultrasound tech told me "I wouldn't eat any fat if I were you!!!" (I had just had about 3 oz. of cream cheese an hour before!!)
Ha! Go figure... I agree.. see how your body responds.
Cheers,