Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 13:31

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question I have no gall bladder

Hi
I had my gall bladder removed last year. I was wondering if by eating alot of fat can do any damage to my liver. When I eat certain foods it gives me cramps & I have to run to the bathroom. I noticed that I'm not so bloated anymore but I'm started getting cramps in my upper stomache, the same area that lead to the removal of my gallbladder. Can this be from my liver because it has to take over for the gall bladder? I was told that I can get a fatty liver if I'm not careful.

Josie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 15:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Josie...

I, too, have no gallbladder. I even have scar tissue in my liver from where a tube had to be put through it after gallbladder complications.

I don't have any problems with this way of eating. In fact, although the fat content stands out because of the lower carb content, I'd guess that I eat much less fat now than before.

But I asked my doctor anyway, and she gave me the okay and has no concerns.

I'd say check with your doctor. Go to fitday.com and put in a low carb day vs. a typical high carb day's eating. I think you'll be suprised by the numbers.

Good luck to you!!

Shelley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 18:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: I have no gall bladder

Quote:
Originally posted by Josiemk
Hi
When I eat certain foods it gives me cramps & I have to run to the bathroom. I noticed that I'm not so bloated anymore but I'm started getting cramps in my upper stomache, the same area that lead to the removal of my gallbladder.

You might want to check with your doc to make sure that there isn't anything related to your gall bladder operation that is causing the cramping. Sometimes a stone or 2 get left behind in the tubes and when they start to move you get pains just like GB attacks. Your doc is the best bet as a first course of action.

I had mine out 5 years ago. I had to go back in 3 weeks later to take care of stray stones. It was a very simple, short procedure, no big deal, no incisions. For 3 years I had the urgent need to go after eating. It was caused mostly by dairy products - yogurt, cheese, anything creamy. The doc told me it happens to some people, and there are meds you can take. I chose not to take them, trying to find other ways to deal with it.

After I started LCing, all of that went away, and I haven't had the problem since. Now dairy products are back in my menu and I'm a happy camper.

However, you should still consider seeing the doc just to make sure there isn't anything else going on.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 13:53

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question I thought they would have seen the stones

In the ultra sound that they did when they seen that I had gall stones? I also have gerd. But I notice that it's getting better. I use to be lactose intolerent, but since I started low carbing it seems I don't have it any more.

Thanks ya'll for your thoughs.

Josie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 16:24
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile I also have no gall bladder

It took me a few months to get use to fat consumption. I think that the low fat diet they put you on with Gall bladder disease makes the transition to low carbing alittle harder than most. I still have problems if I have too much butter or cream. But I'm fine with Oils and fat traces in meat.
Hope that helps. I've been low carbing for over a year and all my doctors blood tests have been coming back great!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 18:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Josie,

Perhaps this advice from Doreen T ( to another member) may help:

Quote:
The gallbag is basically just a storage receptacle for bile, which is produced in the liver. As you know, the function of bile is to break down fat in the digestive tract into long-chain fatty acids, which are then absorbed from the small intestine into the bloodstream, transported to the liver where they are further processed into ketones, shorter chain fatty acids, etc, etc, etc ...

When the gallbladder is removed, the common bile duct is surgically connected to drain directly from the liver into the small intestine. So, instead of there being a "squirt" response to the presence of fat in the gut, bile is trickled into the intestine constantly. Bile is very, very irritating. Many laxatives, including the "natural" herbals, work by stimulating bile production ... the excess bile in the fecal material irritates the colon causing it to spasm and a B.M. results.

People who have chronic diarrhea conditions, Crohn's disease, colitis ... or good ol' influenza virus, where the stool is rapidly transported through the intestine .. will experience the raw burning anal tissue as you are. It's not due to "acid" from eating protein. The problem is due to the bile from your liver being constantly trickled into the intestine AND NOT HAVING ENOUGH FAT PRESENT TO ABSORB IT.

Conversely, if you eat a large fatty meal, there may not be enough bile trickling in to deal with what has been consumed. Hence a "fatty", possibly greasy stool.

You will find eventual relief if you eat smaller, more frequent meals that always contain moderate fat .. olives, raw unprocessed nuts, avocado .. meats, cheese, eggs with the yolks, tuna w. mayo etc, etc. Fiber, especially from vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts (not bran or grains ) will also be helpful.

Desitin is wonderful ... Zinc is very soothing and healing for the skin, plus it also contains cod liver oil, which is rich in vitamins A & D, which are also healing a beneficial for the skin. Penaten is similar, and more pleasantly scented.