Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 19:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Another CALPer PM'd---

Quote:
I think that Rachel Heller initially did great on her omad CAD plan because she was so insulin resistant and had been eating such high carb. Once her body adjusted and she lost weight/managed her insulin - it didn't work as well- hence the CALP and CAHHP plans and balancing the carbs. Later the plan stopped working- if you ever read their last couple of books it tells a story that Rachel was gaining weight. I wonder if once you're adapted to LC you can't handle lots of carbs. That's my experience- I have been on CALP now for 15 years.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 19:50

BF:

Definitely cut out any high carb foods, no sweets, , and trying for a meat and a green salad with nuts, or cheese or , dang, cant remember, a tomato in a husk .....

Still having milk issues after eating.

IMO this is complicated by not getting good sleep.

Today was chicken with skin,2 timato berries, kerry cheddar, large green salad, oo, vinegar, and ......felt sleepy, mildly but noticeable.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 05:53

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

I have to say that I had the same sleepiness when following the CAD. I seem to do better on straight low carb. The reward meal affected my insulin more than I thought. Dana Carpender the famous low carb recipe author had the same experience when trying the CAD. She said she fell asleep in front of guests that were over for dinner and she realized that straight low carb kept her blood sugar more even.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 07:44

BF:

THank you.....confirms I'm not completely abby-normal, lol.

Ultimately I have stopped following CAD. I suspect one reward meal now and then works for me. I tried a month of 2 RM a week, and I was still leary of a true full on sugar treat, so kept to lower carbs and seemed to get away with back to back days with eating all my carbs in one meal ( OMAD) but that seemed to stall weight loss depending on the components of the meal.

Weight loss is tricky business!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 13:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I have to say that I had the same sleepiness when following the CAD. I seem to do better on straight low carb. The reward meal affected my insulin more than I thought. Dana Carpender the famous low carb recipe author had the same experience when trying the CAD. She said she fell asleep in front of guests that were over for dinner and she realized that straight low carb kept her blood sugar more even.

I had a little surprise about spiking BS a while back. It was after eating McD fries and catsup, not even a sugary dessert, although the catsup does have sugar. I was shocked to see my spike because on LC I am usually totally in the normal range, or so I thought.
I took the initial reading, then kept sticking over the next hour and a half, finger after finger until it went to normal again.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 17:16

BF:

Meme, fyi, no two fingers the same, lol. Learned that from a friend today. As a type 1, she must check two fingers. Well maybe this is because it is a no prick method.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
THank you.....confirms I'm not completely abby-normal, lol.

Ultimately I have stopped following CAD. I suspect one reward meal now and then works for me. I tried a month of 2 RM a week, and I was still leary of a true full on sugar treat, so kept to lower carbs and seemed to get away with back to back days with eating all my carbs in one meal ( OMAD) but that seemed to stall weight loss depending on the components of the meal. Weight loss is tricky business!

I know it works for a lot of people. I think its great for people who are just starting out on low carb, or can't just give up carbs. And I know because I have to take my wheat and sugar addiction day by day, but I use the CAD as a sometime meal when I'm at a wedding or party or something at work. I was going to experiment with using it as a 'maintenance' diet when I lose the rest of my weight. I am hypoglycemic, so I can't even do intermittent fasting. I asked Dr. Fung and he said no way. I have to eat to keep my blood sugar even.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 07:03

BF:

We are each unique--and it definitely takes years to understand all the details of our biochemistry. I like the OMAD and the CAD, and use it to push the limits. Unfortunately it cannot be a daily event--somehow it causes low sugar which can either become a very sleepy event or a drive to eat more aka binge..... still working out my understanding of these two events.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 07:48

Low carb or keto if you can do it, is the best and healthiest diet!! I believe low fat had a big hand in my mother's demise because she refused to try Atkins.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 08:00

BF:

Oh I eat plenty of fats. Mostly meats and vegies, some fruits occassionally.

One meal a day sometimes, just not hungry. Other days, several meals. Weight loss is slow. Still want to know the biochem of what is happening with sleepiness and how to avoid that drop in blood sugar.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Isn’t it the turkey? All that tryptophan?
Tray again with chicken or fish?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Oops — sorry, didn’t check the OP date. I’m late to the party.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 19:16

BF:

Hello Blue, happy to hear your ideas. Tryptophan in turkey has been debunked the last I heard.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 16:02

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 192.5/153.5/165.0 Male 5 ft 8 inches
BF:25%/13%/15%
Progress: 142%

I often fall asleep in my chair in front of the TV after supper RM. Did not think it was a problem.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 16:08

BF:

Hi!!

Have come to this conclusion:

Falling asleep after a meal is generally regarded as due to spike in insulin. So I stopped CAD as I want my blood sugars even and not spiking. Too many health issues connected to extra sugar in the blood..... so, ya, I keep to low carb as much as possible.