Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Pat,

Good to see you quit! Congratulations . I did the same thing with the patch and the gum. I didn't wear the patch very long, and when I did, if I had a craving I used the gum, maybe 4 - 6 pieces a day at first. I used the 2 mg. orange flavored Nicorette. I liked the taste of that the best. The 4 mg. just tasted too strong. I also used Zyban/Wellbutrin, and liked it so much that I still take 100 mg. a day 18 months after quitting. After awhile, I stopped using the patch, and just used the gum. I made myself cut down on the gum because it is not the greatest for your gums and teeth. I chewed regular gum for awhile and eventually stopped that too. The only problem I can see with staying on nicotine replacement indefinitely is that it just prolongs the agony. When I was on just the gum, I definitely had withdrawls between pieces. So my advice to you would be to get off the nicotine replacement as soon as you can, or only use the gum when absolutely necessary. I think it may make it easier in the long run, though I also think it is different for each of us. Whatever you are doing, it looks like you are doing a great job.

i wish you continued success,
Sandy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 11:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/238/185 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Way to go!! You can do this,

Jerry(relichound)
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/213/160
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default I found it easier to quit

I'm not bragging because I know I'm only 1 smoke away from being a smoker again, but I find it easier to quit while doing the LC induction at the same time. Maybe I'm just a bit of a masacist *whip thundering in my ear*, "Yes, mistriss!"

The first couple of days are hell , there is nothing you can do about it. Go on the atkins diet, or any other LC diet that lets you eat as much as you want. You will feel like garbage but you can stuff yourself till you think your going to then it's easier to fall asleep.

While your at it try to make new kinds of foods, the kind where you have to read the instructions over and over. Try to make it something that takes a while to make. Since I don't cook, buffalo wings was my 3 day poison. Planning the meal and cooking it takes time. If you don't have all the ingrediants either skip them or try to make something else. Do not go to the store to buy ingrediants!

Now for the stress. Again there is nothing you can do, you will feel like hell for 2 or 3 days. There is a very fun, and can be time consuming way (all natural), of relieving stress. I'll just hint at it to keep this a rated G thread , but I can tell you it works. If nothing else when done right, it will a make you tired. Sleeping addict is definately better than raging addict.

Last edited by Brews_Crew : Wed, Mar-05-03 at 17:44.