Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 165/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Atkins Does lie and here's proof

http://www.philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/atkins1.htm

I'd say Mr. Atkins was caught. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:24

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yeah we have seen this before and Dr Phil is a quack.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Yeah we have seen this before and Dr Phil is a quack.

Yeah because he exposes the truth. Scary but true right?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:28

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

boy, he couldn't be trying to sell his own WOL, now would he?

b
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:31

Infuriator,

I find it interesting that a brand new member to the forum's very first post happens to be of one accusing Dr Atkin's of lying.

You don't happen to know mikerogers do you? Guess it's time to check IPs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Atkins Does lie and here's proof

Quote:
Originally posted by infuriator
http://www.philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/atkins1.htm

I'd say Mr. Atkins was caught. Enjoy!

You need read the link carefuly to distinguish between a "research" vs. a sales pitch.

That guy (Phil Kaplan) promises you his solution through a "One-on-One Shopping by Appointment"!! Sure....

And what does this guy sell?

Quote:
Growth Hormone precursors
DHEA and Testosterone boosters
Chitosan and the Fat Blockers
Metabolife and the Herbal Fat Burners

You will need a lot more when he's done with you, to "recover"...

I would take what he sells with a lot of salt

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 17:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

It took a whole page for Phil to whine and complain about being jilted by a TV advertising firm in favor of the Eades of Protein Power, and then another page to grumble about a 5 a.m. radio interview where he was disadvantaged by being on the phone, and Atkins was in the studio live. Great .. so Phil carries grudges.

His information on ketones, ketosis, insulin and glucagon is skewed and false. For instance, he states that ketosis will result in a build-up of ammonia in the blood. Huh?? Ammonia is nitrogen-based. Ketones are comprised of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Ain't no nitrogen there??? Mr. Phil needs to re-read his Physiology 101 textbook.

He claims "Ketones are intermediaries in the process of metabolizing fat that are found in abnormal amounts in the blood and urine during periods of metabolic impairment" .. This is false. Ketones are produced in normal, healthy humans all the time. And especially times of rapid growth, since the mitochondria of muscles have an aerobic affinity for ketones and fatty acids. It's worth noting that during pregnancy and during an infant's first year of life, ketones are normally present in the blood in larger amounts than at any other time (unless following a benign or therapeutic ketogenic diet, or during starvation). I don't personally know of any one year olds with kidney stones or malfunctioning livers due to the ketones in their blood.

His "research collection" listed at the end of the article consists mostly of commentaries, letters and editorials by known anti-lowcarb ludites. No studies backing up his claims about kidney stones, osteoporosis, high ammonia levels (ROFLsnort!) or the dangers of ketones. That's because there are none.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 17:25

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default lies

I'm sure if we knit picked enough in any diet or low carb book, we could find things to "prove" that the author(s) "lie" about something... None of them totally agree on everything. Does that mean they are lying??? I'd say they just have come to different conclusions from the research they have done.

The important question is, DO THEIR PROGRAMS WORK? Heck yes! All of them have worked for millions of people. So, what gives anyone the right to cast stones at Dr. Atkins or the Hellers or any of them? They are promoting what they believe in and should be left alone. If their theories work and people are losing weight and staying healthy, then quit trying to tear them apart!

And if you really want to get answers regarding Atkins, ASK THEM! I've had to email questions before and they do respond... So if you have questions about what information is in other websites, go straight to them and confront them and give them a chance before you jump to conclusions. THIS IS A SUPPORT FORUM, so please respect those of us who use it for the purpose it is designed for and take your complaints elsewhere!

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 18:11
Registered Member

BF:

A support forum? How about the truth? It is amusing to see Atkins people being totally obliterated from the truth unless Atkins says it.
The Atkins Diet is unhealthy and I have posted enough to back it up and I have plenty more where that came from.
The formula to weight management is exercise and a diet containing all the energy nutrients and not fad diets.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Some timely advice...

It appears that we have a TROLL in our midst, and so we must remember that we should NEVER, EVER feed a troll...(not even low carb foods!)

Ignore him and he will fade away...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 18:42

Quote:
Originally posted by infuriator

The Atkins Diet is unhealthy and I have posted enough to back it up and I have plenty more where that came from.
The formula to weight management is exercise and a diet containing all the energy nutrients and not fad diets.

Holy cow Atkin's is a fad diet?!?!??!?!?! Wow I didn't think fad's lasted for more than 20 years. Some fad.

Okay you say you have more information about the formula to weight management?

Put up or shut up. Let's see your sources buddy, hope you feel like listing all of them.

Posting an informerical from Dr Phil is hilarious if that is your "proof". I can hardly wait to see the rest of it.

I am calling your bluff. Let's see it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 20:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default why are you using this forum, infuriator?

This is a forum for people on LC eating plans, to support their choices. Why are youhere?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Low Carb is a fad? Yeah, right....like "they" used to say about Rock & Roll back in the 50's.

judy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 01:15

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default The Big Lie?

I'd also point out that the "big lie" we're talking about is a seeming contradiction about kidney stones. Note that what Dr. Atkins denies is that their is evidence that anyone got Kidney Stones BECAUSE of his diet. He agrees that there may be people (many in fact) that get kidney stones while on the diet. This is the classic stastical principle of "correlation without causation". The fact is, a certain % of the population get Kidney stones for a number of reasons unrelated to the Atkins diet. I don't know what that % is, but with the millions of people who are on or have tried Atkins, a large number of these folks will get kidney stones without any statistical signifigance to the diet. Similarly, a large number will have heart attacks, learn they have some form of cancer, have appendicitis and even get injured or die in car accidents for this diet is simply not responsible.

I'd also like to point out that these nasty warnings about ketones are unfounded. Quite simply, the only [safe] way to lose weight is release/use stored body fat. (the only other way is to have it mechanically/surgically removed - yuk!). Ketones are a byproduct of this process regardless of whether you LC, calorie restrict or "burn" your way out through training. A legitimate debate could be formed around whether there is an unsafe level of ketones by using too much stored body fat for energy, but none of these LC critics have scientifically identified what that safe/unsafe level is. What's more, they all seem to be ignorant of the phases outlined in most LC plans that go beyond induction...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 01:17

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

Quote:
This is a forum for people on LC eating plans, to support their choices. Why are youhere?

Exactly what I was going to say, why do you bother. We are here to support and encourage each other, neither of which one you seem to follow.
Do you not think we have seen all this crap before???
I usually read a link in it's full before I consider posting but 2 paragraphs of this junk was enough for me. If we were here to be dissuaded we wouldn't be here in the first place. Save your time and energy for Dr. Phil, Dr. Ornish, and the rest of the quacks and give us a break.
And btw this forum isn't all about just Atkins, there are an abundance of people here on other plans who are improving their lives everyday. How can you criticize anyone for making posotive changes in their lives?????