Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 03:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How low-carb diets wrecked our health

I didn't want to put this Daily Fail article in the main media forum, but thought others here would be interested in reading this load of old tripe! Lots of great comments below it though, debunking the article!

Quote:
How low-carb diets wrecked our health: As women reveal how they suffered fertility problems, thin hair and fragile bones, do YOU still fancy a trendy high-protein diet?

• Emma-Victoria Houlton, 29, now has Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • She broke a bone in her foot due to calcium deficiency
  • Brooke Power, 27, suffered migraines and dizziness
  • She struggled to conceive when she cut out carbs
  • Nutritionists say a balanced diet is better
  • Gillian O'Toole, 32, nearly passed out on the Paleo Diet

Emma-Victoria Houlton loves her food; whether it's a Sunday roast with all the trimmings or an Italian meal, she's always happy to tuck in.

But just five years ago, Emma, 29, would have baulked at eating pasta, bread, pizza dough, potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.

Why? Because, like thousands of others, she believed high-protein, low-carb regimes like the Atkins or Paleo diets were the most effective way to be slim.

But, after cutting down on carbs so much that she wouldn't even eat dairy products as they contain lactose - a sugar - Emma-Victoria believes she has permanently damaged her health.

'I was only a size eight but found it hard to stay slim,' she says. 'Then, when I was 22, I saw a documentary about the Atkins diet, thought it was great and cut most carbs out of my diet.

'Breakfast was an omelette, lunch was chicken with lettuce and dinner was something meaty with vegetables like kale, cabbage, sprouts or runner beans, which don’t contain starch.

'I got all the classic symptoms associated with a low-carb diet: dry mouth, tiredness, crankiness and bad breath. But I saw great results - my 8st 7lb weight was much easier to maintain.'

Unbelievably, Emma-Victoria, a creative director in Manchester, stuck to the regime for three punishing years.

'At restaurants, every meal had to be steak and salad,' she says. 'I'd go to a friend's house for dinner and if they'd made pasta, I'd eat a tiny amount, so as not to be rude, and end up feeling really ill - with chronic bloating and having to dash to the toilet.

'I decided to come off the diet, and started eating normally, but the bloating became so bad I went to my GP. When he asked about my diet and I told him what I'd been doing, he pretty much rolled his eyes and said that in simple terms, my body had stopped producing the enzymes I needed to process carbohydrates.

'He said I'd have to reintroduce around one or two grams a week very slowly, and gave me peppermint oil capsules to relieve the symptoms. For weeks I had stomach aches, bloating and kept going to the toilet. It was embarrassing and painful.'

She adds: 'Although I’m better now, I have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It only started during the low-carb regime. It's effectively wrecked my health.'

Dr Sarah Brewer, author of Nutrition: A Beginners Guide, believes drastic no-carb diets like Emma's can damage digestion.

'Bacteria in the bowel react very quickly to changes in the diet and the gut only has one way of complaining - through poor digestion,' she says. 'It should recover but can take a while.

'It's the quality of carbs you should focus on, not the quantity. Cutting out processed foods, such as white bread, cake and pastries is good for reducing the risk of diabetes, but carbohydrates shouldn't be cut out all together.

'A healthy diet should consist of low-glycemic index carbs from foods such as healthy grains, fruit and lots of vegetables.'

Emma believes her diet had another damaging consequence. Soon after she came off it, she broke a bone in her foot while out running and believes being deficient in calcium for months may have left her bones vulnerable.

'The doctors suggested that the fact I hadn't been drinking milk for over two years may have weakened my bones,' she says.

While low-carb diets have waned in popularity since a peak in the early 2000s, many still embark on them. Research shows nearly 50 per cent of women sometimes feel guilty about eating carbohydrates and one in ten always does.

Such is the pressure to keep thin, many are willing to risk their health by cutting them out.

Mum-of-three Brooke Power, 27, suffered migraines and dizziness during ten months on such a diet. She wanted to shed weight after the birth of her second daughter Zoe. Although she lost over three stone, she gave up when she realised it had affected her fertility.

'The only carbs I'd eat all day were the 50g of porridge made with water for breakfast,' says Brooke, who lives in Bolton, Lancashire, with her mechanic husband Jonathan, 26. 'After that, it would be chicken salad, protein shakes or egg whites.

'I was losing two pounds a week: I had been 11st 3lb, too much for my 5ft 4in height. I loved the results, but I was crying all the time because I was so hungry - but the more I did it, the more obsessed I was about leaving carbs out of my diet. The headaches and exhaustion were terrible. I’d feel dizzy and almost passed out several times. My hair became thinner. My periods stopped then became erratic. I put it down to the diet.'

Brooke's rapid weight loss on the no-carb diet was to blame, says Dr Sarah Brewer.

'If you lose 5-10 per cent of your body weight very quickly - as she did - the body reacts by shutting down ovulation because it knows it won't be able to cope in a pregnancy. As soon as you start eating a well-balanced diet again, and regain weight, ovulation should begin again.'

Brooke adds: 'Jonathan and I both wanted another baby and had started trying six months after we'd had Zoe, but it just wasn't happening. When I reintroduced carbs, we conceived Riley almost straight away.'

Despite having learned a hard lesson, she still sees carbohydrates as something of an enemy.

'Even now I feel a bit guilty when I overdo it on carbs,' she says.

Sioned Quirke, of the British Dietetic Association, says she often sees women in her clinical practice consumed with guilt.

'They think they've ruined their diet because they've eaten a slice of bread or a potato but the reality is we need carbohydrates in our diet for energy and fibre to help our bowel function, as well as vitamin  B. If you're lacking vitamin B12, found in many fortified cereals, you can develop anaemia as it helps form red blood cells.

'Cutting out one food group is a sure way to become ill. Every cell needs glucose, so if you suddenly become depleted in it, you'll begin to suffer lethargy, headaches, cramps, irritability, depression.

'You might have constipation, because of the lack of fibre. The bowel often doesn't recover from a drastic change of diet.

'If you continue the regime for many months, the body starts to take its energy from protein stores in the muscles. So your muscles - including your heart - will be wasting away. Your skin, hair and nails will become thin, dry and flaky.

'I don't think you'd survive for longer than about five years on an extremely low-carb diet.

Gillian O'Toole 32, who runs her own jewellery business in Liverpool, says she still feels guilty when carbs pass her lips, although ditching them has played havoc with her health. She took up the Paleo, or caveman, diet - based on the food supposedly eaten by Paleolithic humans.

'Within three days of starting the Paleo diet - lots of meat, no sugar, carbs, caffeine or dairy - I'd lost half a stone but was so ill it felt like my body was in shock.

'I nearly passed out. I felt sick and couldn't function properly. Around day three I developed a headache so bad I thought it was a migraine and my skin and scalp became dry and itchy.

'I started reintroducing things like sweet potato but two weeks later noticed lumps in my armpit and was absolutely petrified it could be cancer.

'My GP he reassured me it wasn't cancer, but tiny boils, and it was down to my unbalanced diet. I started eating carbs again and soon the lumps had gone.'

Dr Sarah Brewer says boils could result from an immune system weakened by rapid weight loss.

'In those without diabetes, boils are usually associated with low immunity that promotes infection of hair follicles,' she says, and recommends vitamin supplements to dieters.

Gillian says her diet is back to normal now. 'Even though the experience really scared me, I still feel guilty eating carbs. It's ridiculous women are prepared to risk their health just to be slim but we're all as bad as each other.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...otein-diet.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 05:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow, if any of these claims are true, the people doing the low carb were "doing it wrong"!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 06:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Not surprise somebody got in trouble with chicken salad, protein shakes and egg whites. Even the chicken salad was probably skinless chicken breast.

Quote:
"They think they've ruined their diet because they've eaten a slice of bread or a potato but the reality is we need carbohydrates in our diet for energy and fibre to help our bowel function, as well as vitamin  B. If you're lacking vitamin B12, found in many fortified cereals, you can develop anaemia as it helps form red blood cells.

This is one of my favourites. The only reason we need to fortify grains is because some people are silly enough to try to, or poor enough to have to live on a diet based on grains. And of course, if fiber's a concern, most low-carb plans don't actually restrict fiber itself.

'
Quote:
I don't think you'd survive for longer than about five years on an extremely low-carb diet.'

Not survive as in dead?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 08:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Get off wheat awhile and your body heals and you can't go back. Stupid lady doesn't have IBS from low carbing, she has it from eating wheat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 09:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd be willing to bet that in every example the people were eating low-fat diets.

I know I'm only one person, but as long as I eat LCHF and medium protein (not high protein as in the article), I feel great. As soon as I step over my carb limit or don't get enough fat, I start feeling crummy.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 09:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Its articles like this that in the past put people off following LCHF diets - people like me 20 odd years ago - I believed these "diets" were bad for you, so I pursued the usual low fat, low calorie, weight watchers, the cabbage soup....... and I'd lose a bit, then gain more, I had IBS, eczema, migraines, arthritis, lethargy and of course depression cos I felt such a failure and was fat. I was nearly 40 when I finally gave Atkins a go and it totally changed my life in every single way. I'm slim, healthy, energetic and in control of my life and my eating habits BUT - I'm 50 now and left feeling very resentful at stupid articles like this one that stopped me doing atkins etc when I was younger - How many others out there are like I was???!

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 10:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Not survive as in dead?

In which case, quite a few of the posters here must be dead. I'm impressed how great they look in their photos!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 16:00

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh dear. It's been 3 years for me so I only have 2 left. Better make the most of them - some more bacon please!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 16:02

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I must be a zombie. I'm been low-carbing for about 12 years.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 06:16

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
only carbs I'd eat all day were the 50g of porridge made with water for breakfast,' says Brooke, who lives in Bolton, Lancashire, with her mechanic husband Jonathan, 26. 'After that, it would be chicken salad, protein shakes or egg whites.
So I wonder what diet promotes this menu? No fat to speak of and loads of carbs from oats (assuming she was not using one of the "ready made" varieties of porridge which are full of added ingredients)
Not one of the low carb ones I have read about.

A pity she was not following a proper low carb high fat way of eating as many people seem to have improved their fertility by eating that way.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 221/207/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Who is this quack that said to eat "low glycemic index foods like grains" ? Last I checked, eating wheat-anything has a higher GI than table sugar!

Its amazing that people can't see causation. One of the examples is the girl who was eating low carb, but then ate grains and felt sick, therefore the low carb made her sick??? So if I eat low carb, then set myself on fire, should I conclude that eating low carb burned me alive?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-14, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 158/150/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Articles like this make me happy. If people are actively trying to discredit something you agree with, that's a kind of indirect confirmation of it. If a highly rational, credible person suddenly changed their ideas and started saying low-carb was the wrong WOE I'd be concerned. I'd probably question my conclusions. Then I'd have another piece of bacon
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 08:55

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I think my favorite on this was the comment about how her Dr Said she damaged her bones by not drinking milk. Seriously? I am going to assume that they are eluding to the lack of calcium in the diet. Ok – how about cheese, yogurt, kale, spinach, and about the million other things that contain a good amount of calcium. Furthermore – its cow’s milk – it’s meant for baby cows. My daughter’s dr told me that milk is really unnecessary for anyone – after the age of 2 it’s not doing you any favors. This whole article seems like a play on common fears to dissuade people from this woe. My question is – why? Who cares how people eat?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 11:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyk26
Who cares how people eat?

I think some are just repeating what they've heard. But the reality is, there are big bucks at stake for all parties involved in grain based processed food production. The eliminate wheat, rice, etc. and even high carb produce message in a low carb program has to come off as an economic threat to much of the food industry. Such junk food producers don't like being viewed in the same light as Phillip Morris -- producers of products that are detrimental to your health. So I don't think there will be any shortage of studies and 'expert' commentary casting dark shadows on the low-carb lifestyle. There is too much money at stake. For me, I do kind of like the idea of being on the road less traveled with contentment and confidence that I am doing the right thing. I am not being the one manipulated into accepting the big lie of the "Healthy balanced diet".

Perhaps in the future, things will change just as it did for the tobacco industry. Much of the food that modern day Americans see as normal everyday food is actually killing us and can be as harmful to our health as tobacco. I am an IT/Information professional and a logical thinker. Data does not lie. But people with agendas often manipulate it to say what they want it to say, drawing invalid conclusions, telling half-truths, making stuff up, and in some cases telling out-and-out lies - just to get their intended message out. They point to the data as support, when often - the data says something completely different. Eventually, the truth will come out. Just look at the 180 that has been done on saturated fat in recent studies.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 11:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Ahh - ok - I get the money aspect of it. I didn't put the 2 together, but it makes perfect sense. *Gasp* I can't believe that someone would choose to make a profit at the expense of another's well being ***note sarcasm***