Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 14:10

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy Newly diagnosed T2

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last week, April 1, 2004. Also have high levels of protein in my urine. I bought Dr. Bernstein's book quite a few months ago when diabetes threatened, but didn't read enough, didn't take it seriously enough. Now, I am going to read it from cover to cover. I think it will become my new bible. I haven't had my appointment with my doctor to discuss treatment, that will come Friday. I've had several A1c's done - 6.5, 6.1, and the most recent 7. So, I was doing better, but then I got worse because this is the first 3 month period of time where I haven't followed a low-carb/sugar plan at least some of the time.

I currently weigh over 300 pounds, my goal is to get down to 150.

I am hoping to make some permanent changes in my eating and lifestyle. Dr. Bernstein seems to be the reigning expert when it comes to diabetes. I trust him.

I can't wait to read through the archives here, and read the book through and through. I want as much information as I can gather - as much power over this disease as I can get.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 252/196/200 Male 78 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

It sounds like you need to pick up the book right away, and start reading from there. That will be a lot quicker than reading the forum.

You can also start reading the book online in Dr Bernstein's website... much of it is available online. There is a new post here from Sugarpie who is also a new diabetic... and she is taking active control of the disease. There is a link to the online book in that thread.

There is also a discussion forum on Dr Bernsteins website that is excellent.

Good luck... and enjoy the ride to tight blood glucose control.

/Jim

Last edited by JimP : Wed, Apr-07-04 at 22:08.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 19:31

BF:
Thumbs up No Diabetes Meds!!

YAY! I don't have to go on meds for the diabetes! My doctor was so impressed with how I brought my blood sugars down over the last week (168 to 130) that she didn't require me to take meds to bring my numbers down. She believes that I CAN do this with diet and exercise. She did give me a prescription for an ACE inhibitor to help with the kidney stuff. She gave me copies of all my medical tests from last week.

My microalbumin was 5 (Reference range 0.0 - 1.8)
TSH was 1.80 (Ref range .35 - 5.50)
Cholesterol - HDL 57, total 195, Triglyceride 91, LDL 120, Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.4.
A1c was 7.0
Fasting glucose 168

So - I have two months until my next blood tests. She also wants to do a 24 hour urine collection on me.

BP was 160/100 today.

I also have a referal to a one on one with a dietician, plus diabetes classes and a medically supervised weight loss program. She also said that if I wanted to do my own program she would monitor me in her office.

Depending on how I do in the next months I could safely start trying to get pregnant again in 4-6 months.

I got a prescription for a new monitor - a One Touch Ultra. Due to insurance snafoos I won't have that until Wednesday. But, with careful control I should be fine without daily monitoring until then.

I'm overall VERY happy with the visit with my doc. I got to ask all my questions. I even found out that my doctor's birthday is the day after mine! LOL.

Next step is going to be making exercise a daily occurance.

Just had to share!

Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 08:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Melissa- Great to hear all the encouraging news from the test results and your visit to the doctor. It is very wise to have to have the whole range of testing done and to keep doing it on a regular basis.

I really hope you have better luck with the dietician than I did. The ones here are taught to spout the same thing to everyone. There is a "standard" diabetic diet and they won't budge from that for anything. She wouldn't even hear of a LC eating plan or talk to me about it. She made it sound like I was killing myself and that being diabetic I should definetely be following the industries "standards". All in all...a very wasted and frustrating trip that could have been better spent researching a nice LC meal! LOL!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 14:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
Melissa- Great to hear all the encouraging news from the test results and your visit to the doctor. It is very wise to have to have the whole range of testing done and to keep doing it on a regular basis.

I really hope you have better luck with the dietician than I did. The ones here are taught to spout the same thing to everyone. There is a "standard" diabetic diet and they won't budge from that for anything. She wouldn't even hear of a LC eating plan or talk to me about it. She made it sound like I was killing myself and that being diabetic I should definetely be following the industries "standards". All in all...a very wasted and frustrating trip that could have been better spent researching a nice LC meal! LOL!

If I were in your position, I would just say ok to everything that the dietition told me and then do what the book tells me.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:53

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

The trouble with that approach - not telling your doctor and/or dietitian that you're low carbing - is that when your bg levels and blood lipids improve, they attribute the improvement to their advice. As tempting as it might be to keep it to yourself, I won't do it that way, for that reason.

Karen D.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 03:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. B's 6-12-12
Stats: 275/228/185 Male 70.5 inches
BF:N/A
Progress: 52%

I agree with Karen 100%...however flawed, your health care team is your link to the technical information you need to survive. You don't have to love 'em, or even like 'em...but it is to your adavantage to keep them in the loop. Don't mean they have to like it...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 12:43

BF:
Thumbs up Awesome doc/lowcarb

I got really lucky when I had to change doctor's. I went from a stick-thin chinese woman who wouldn't know a weight problem if it bit her skinny butt, to a wonderful lady who reminds me of my Mom, Taurus just like me so she won't take any crap. Very action minded. She also has weight issues (maybe 10 pounds now, but she recently lost 40) and also has issues with sugar cravings/addiction. So, she 'gets me'.

I showed her my numbers from this week along with my food log and she agreed that my numbers went up when I ate too many carbs for dinner, and went down overall through the week on low-carb. She's not 'ignorant' when it comes to the benefits of low-carb, and she told me that she's going to do some research this weekend about each individual plan. Maybe she'll have a suggestion for me when I go in next. Or maybe she'll call me after hours again like she did when she called me with my test results and to tell me that I am diabetic.

I feel that I can talk to this new doctor, share with her honestly about my eating, my goals, etc. She's even given me permission to call her anytime just for advice or support.

I have yet to meet a dietician yet who isn't 'high carb' oriented, though. I even pissed the last one off by debating with him about Atkins. LOL. He wrote a nasty letter to my old doctor about how I acted like a 'know-it-all' and I wasn't open to eating 'a healthy low-fat diet'. LOL.

Anyway - the point of this long, boring post is that I feel really lucky that I don't have to hide my feelings/opinions about low-carb with my new doctor. With her, at least, I feel that I can be truthful about my WOE.

Melissa
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 225/220/175 Female 5ft 4in
BF:Don't know
Progress:

Melissa, sure wish I had your DR. Iv'e lost almost 25 pounds since Dec. and my DR refuses to give LC eating the credit. I'm now shopping for a new DR!
Beckie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:33

BF:
Default Good doctor's are rare

Don't be afraid to comparison shop, ask tons of questions before you put your health in that person's hands. My old doctor was very negative about low-carb. She ordered tons of tests to keep an eye on my cholesterol, etc. I guess she thought I would plague up and die right in front of her.

Good luck on your search!!

Melissa
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:33

BF:
Talking Update on BP/weight

Just got back from my doctor. My BP has finally made a definite improvement! I've gone from 160/110 to 138/84!!! YAY! Also, even though my scale at home is having kittens when I step on it, based on the scale at the doctor's office, I've lost 8 pounds since March 31st. I'm currently on two medications for high BP - a beta blocker and an ace inhibitor slash diuretic. And, believe me I could tell the diuretic was in there. I am sure most of that 8 pounds was water, but I don't care! I'm back under 300!! And DETERMINED to stay under!!

Just wanted to update. I was bummed, thinking I wasn't making progress, and then I go in today and get this awesome progress report. I am so happy right now!

Melissa
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 19:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Way to go! And - whether the 8 pounds is water or fat - it had to go - and I'll bet you feel better already.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:45

BF:
Thumbs up biggest change

The biggest change, by far, has to be from the reduction in my blood pressure. I used to think it was normal to feel so bad after physical labor because I am fat. Now I know that it's not. I still breathe a little harder, but I don't feel like I am about to expire. I can get down on the floor with my daughter again. Interestingly enough my circulation seems to have improved. My feet don't hurt so much in the mornings, etc. Getting my blood sugar under control meant less hot flashes too. Looking back, the last year has been terrible. I'm only now realizing that in comparison to how I feel now.

Looking forward to how I'll feel at 150 pounds vs. 300. It can only get better from here!

Melissa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 08:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Melissa- It sure is great to go to the doctor and get such wonderful news. It really gives you the boost that you need to keep on! Congrats on the 8 pounds down too!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 19:15

BF:
Default Was unable to make the change

I couldn't stay out of the junk food, my BG's got worse, and with the help of the bleeping BP meds I ended up gaining 40 pounds til June 11th - I plumped up to 330!!

I've made a lot of changes since June 22nd. The whole story is in my journal - but suffice it to say I'm NEVER going back!

I'll prolly make a major nuisance of myself on this forum, but I need to keep the fire!

Melissa