Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 10:58

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%
Default Lunch ideas and a few other questions

This my 2nd attempt at SB, the first one being over a year ago.
I've now done 3 weeks of Phase 1 and would have happily stayed here another week except my work circumstances are about to change and I won't have the same options for lunch as I do now.

Now I just eat leftovers and soups - heating them up in the microwave but I wont have a microwave (or access to one in my new office).

I'm a bit stuck for lunch ideas. I don't like salads. I could force myself to eat once a week but anymore and I could see that leading to me falling off the wagon.

I tend to have smoothies for breakfast - made with soy youghurt, soy milk and sugarfree jello crystals. Am I breaking any rules in doing this? Or occassionally with peanutbutter.

This in convenient as I usually have breakfast on the go/at my desk and need something portable.
I have eggs sometimes on weekends.

I snack on cheese or nuts.

Dinner tends to be soups or stirfry veg or meat and veg or something similar.

What's the position on low-carb wraps such as Mama Lupe's?

I'm a bit reluctant to reintroduce bread - 1. I'm not a big fan and 2. I think this will stall my weightloss progress.

So does anyone have any lunch ideas that don't involve eating a bunch of leaves.

thanks
2/3

PS.
I'm in the UK and we don't get Southbeach brand products.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 08:14

Gee, thanks!
what a helpful bunch you are.

Good thing i found another forum
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 08:27
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

I am not on Southbeach, but I do eat wraps, but sparingly.....don't know about SB er's? Try them and see how it affects you perhaps??
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 09:45

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3
Gee, thanks!

Geez.

Had a good idea or two but that kinda cooled me off a bit.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 10:58

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
Geez.

Had a good idea or two but that kinda cooled me off a bit.

LOL!
I thought she meant good thing she found this forum, but you are right! She got pissed off!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 11:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Gee, thanks!

So sorry that you didn't get any answers! It happens this way sometimes and I know that we all try our best to answer all questions in a timely way.

That being said, here are some of my lunch ideas:

1- 3-4 ozs grilled chicken or turkey breast cutlets with a handful of baby carrots
2- 1/3 cup hummus w/ sugar snap peas and plum tomato
3- any salad with a good protein source ie: ind can of tuna or salmon
4- low carb wraps? SBD is not a low carb plan per say and low carb breads are not using the whole grain, so not a good choice.
5- I precook a lot of meals and freeze them for future meals. If you do this, you can surely bring a frozen home made meal from home and nuke it for lunch. I do this with chili.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 10:24

My apologies but I was a bit miffed at no response (but loads of viewings) after more than a week. That's a long time to stick to a diet when you don't know what to have for lunch.

We don't have a microwave at work so my usual plan (reheating leftovers) won't work anymore.

I've overcome the problem, temporarily at least, by moving into phase 2 and introducing rye crispbreads which I ate with things like egg and chicken (with a little mayo) and veg.

But ofcourse I'm still open to more ideas.

2/3
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 10:48

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
My apologies but I was a bit miffed at no response (but loads of viewings) after more than a week. That's a long time to stick to a diet when you don't know what to have for lunch.

Here's the thing about lots of views but few responses. Many people who aren't on SB come here. It works the other way, too. I know I sometimes look at other boards on this forum. I mean sometimes even if a person isn't on SB, he or she can have ideas that cross all ways of eating--like water intake, stalls, etc.

I personally don't have any further breakfast ideas besides the ones already posted here, but you can check out the menus thread and the recipes thread for ideas. Also Google South Beach recipes breakfast or something like that. You might find some ideas that suit you better.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 19:42

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:

Now I just eat leftovers and soups - heating them up in the microwave but I wont have a microwave (or access to one in my new office).

I'm a bit stuck for lunch ideas. I don't like salads. I could force myself to eat once a week but anymore and I could see that leading to me falling off the wagon.

PS.
I'm in the UK and we don't get Southbeach brand products.

Hi,

On another thread someone also posted lunch queries and I posted info. on a thermos-style lunch box called "Mr. Bento" http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Ben.../dp/B000246GSE/

I know that I can order from US amazon while living in Hong Kong, so you could probably order it in the UK as well. Or, look around and see if you can find some good thermos-style lunch boxes in a local store.

Then, you will have more options for hot food - stir fries, soups, etc.

Also, if you have access to tahini (sesame paste) you can make some hummous or some baba ganoush and eat them w/ vegetables?

I've also had some success w/ eating curries w/ steamed veggies or shredded lettuce instead of rice. Is there a take-away place near where you work, then you could get that? Chicken Tikka would also be an option.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 03:49

I'll look into the thermos option. But I don't think the UK is much of a thermos-carrying place (maybe for tea). . . even construction sites have microwaves and kettles these days.

I do the hummus thing as a snack occasionally.

I do the curry thing for dinner . . . especially of I'm going out to eat with friends. I find Indian restaurants easy to deal with as I know I can have some chicken breast off the grill (shaslik or tandoori) along with cauliflower and some chickpeas or other veg. I never used to have rice anyway, preferred naans or chapatis.

In phase 2 I could even probably have a chapati every now and again.

My main problem is that my meals are often on the go.

Breakfast is on the go. That's why I started making the smoothies. They work well. I make them the night before and I can drink it after the gym, on my way to work.

Lunch is often at my desk but sometimes I have meetings. Lunch is often provided but it's not SB friendly - I eat just before those meetings so I'm not hungry and not tempted.

Dinner is easy. I cook stuff I know is SB-friendly. Problem comes with eating out. Indian restaurants are easy. Most others are a nightmare - and that's following the suggestions in the 'Good carbs, good fats' book.

2/3
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 19:52

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Dinner is easy. I cook stuff I know is SB-friendly. Problem comes with eating out. Indian restaurants are easy. Most others are a nightmare - and that's following the suggestions in the 'Good carbs, good fats' book.

2/3

What about Chinese food? I don't know what it's like in the UK, but if you just eat "dish" (meat, fish, veggies) and avoid the rice and noodles, it's not too hard to stay on plan. Of course, that's here in HK where there's usually roast duck, roast chicken, steamed fish, steamed or stir fried shrimp, tofu, and lightly cooked veggies on offer.

Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/143/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 67%

I like to have sandwiches made with Rev Rolls. Here's the recipe I use:

Basic Recipe:
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 egg yolks
3 ounces softened cream cheese
pinch of salt
Beat egg whites & cream of tartar until VERY stiff. Turn bowl upside down & if the whites don't slide, they are stiff enough.

In a small bowl mix together the other ingredients. Gently fold the yolk into the whites using a spatula.

Generously spray a couple of cookie sheets with pam.

Spoon out mixture into piles on cookie sheets. I spread the mixture out to about the size of a slice of bread. Don't get it too thin or it will be too crisp. I usually get 10-12 "slices" depending on the size of the eggs.
Bake at 300 degrees about 35 minutes. They will be lightly browned.
Using a spatula, remove them to a wire rack to cool. When cool, put them in a ziplock bag and store in refrigerator. Make some holes in the bag so they won't get soggy.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy F
I like to have sandwiches made with Rev Rolls. Here's the recipe I use:

Basic Recipe:
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 egg yolks
3 ounces softened cream cheese....this has to be low fat CC on SBD
pinch of salt
Beat egg whites & cream of tartar until VERY stiff. Turn bowl upside down & if the whites don't slide, they are stiff enough.

In a small bowl mix together the other ingredients. Gently fold the yolk into the whites using a spatula.

Generously spray a couple of cookie sheets with pam.

Spoon out mixture into piles on cookie sheets. I spread the mixture out to about the size of a slice of bread. Don't get it too thin or it will be too crisp. I usually get 10-12 "slices" depending on the size of the eggs.
Bake at 300 degrees about 35 minutes. They will be lightly browned.
Using a spatula, remove them to a wire rack to cool. When cool, put them in a ziplock bag and store in refrigerator. Make some holes in the bag so they won't get soggy.

I had to edit this recipe to make it South Beach friendly.

Thanks for sharing it.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 16:35

Plan: sb / atkins / m&e
Stats: 250.4/214/165 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Smile

I am not sure of what you do have in the UK but i have been a SBD since feb and am VERY slowley adding in good things such as whole wheat whole grain products and i have found whole wheat, whole grain and or flax "roll ups" They are like wraps but rectangle shaped and have high fiber, low fat only 6 net carbs. as well as whole grain pita. I make the "wrap or pita and then only eat half (very filling) i usually share with my son! I too have the whats for lunch syndrome and these have been my salvation. I have to say i only eat them one to two times weekly though.
Good luck on your journey!

Last edited by chrisgil10 : Sun, Apr-01-07 at 16:42.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 02:30

Cheers.

I started off using crispbreads in the first week that I added a starch. Lately I tend to use the wholemeal pitas. Occasionally I'll just have a bean salad or veg for lunch and have my starch for dinner (I had sweet potato one night).

I also found a shop that sells stongeground wholemeal wraps but haven't bought any yet as I still have a few pitas left.

I'm up to two starches and a fruit now.

I'll probably branch into other things next week as I'll be on holiday.

2/3