Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-08, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 335/272/180 Male 6 ft 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Alton Brown Kitchen Steak Method...Yum!

OH OH OH

If you haven't seen it yet...and would like to know an amazing way to cook steak...let me give you a link to a really good Alton Brown Video, from the first episode of his show on the food network, Good Eats...

Steak Part 1

Steak Part II

I've been making them this way ever since I saw the show and I love it. I never knew that I could make such good steak! Thanks Alton Brown!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 12:01

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

Wow, great information. I cooked steaks last night and I wish I had done it this way. My steaks always turn out too dry. Thanks for posting.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 12:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a tutorial in my blog about it, complete with pictures.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default thank you

i never miss his shows, but must have missed this one, he is the best. thank you for sharing. can not wait to get a rib eye, have the cast iron pan/
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 18:57

Stats: 335/272/180 Male 6 ft 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just realized that I should give the instructions...as I remember them...may be edited if I forget something....

Alton Brown's Steak Preperation Method.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Turn burner up to high on the stove and set your cast iron skillet (or whatever you're working with, I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, but I'm working on it...)

Make sure your steak is at room temp and rub it with an oil that has a high smoke point...I use safflower oil, other high heat oils are peanut and Canola Oil...

Salt and pepper the steak (Alton Brown says use kosher salt, and I do) and then use tongs (so you don't put holes in the meat for moisture to leak out of) to throw it in the heated pan for: 30 seconds per side...that's it. And DON'T TOUCH IT.

Then take the whole pan and throw it in the oven for 2 minutes and then flip it, then leave it in for another 2 minutes. Since I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, I just use the tongs to take it from the pan and place it on the foil lined baking sheet that's been in the oven and is nice and hot..

Then after it gets done. You can check doneness with a thermometer by pushing it into the side:

Rare: 120-130 F
Med Rare: 130-145 F
Medium: 145-155 F
Toast: 155 F and up (Alton's joke, not mine)

Put it on a saucer upturned on a plate, so that it doesn't sit in its own juices and get all mushy. Let it sit for 5 MINUTES.

Then dig in. I guarantee it'll be DELICIOUS!!

Last edited by Danieloser : Sat, Sep-27-08 at 19:06.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 20:10

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

As a practical note with this method (and others actually)

If you are cooking multiple steaks at different temps its easier to get steaks of different thicknesses than play "this is done thats not".
Once you have the thickness to done ratio down the process gets lots easier.
I like my steaks to go moooooo when I stick a fork in it, my better half likes toast so I get her 2 breakfast thin cut and me a thick cut.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 22:42

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Yes I agree; AB is the Master of Meat!

If you haven't already, it would be a great boost to your understanding of cooking meats if you looked into getting a copy of I'm Just Here for the Food by Alton Brown.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 19:58

Plan: IF & atkinish
Stats: 191/180.1/150 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 27%

something you can try in the processs....I started splashing my steaks with a little apple cider vinegar while they first start cooking in the pan. It makes the steak really juicy and tender, but you don't taste the vinegar at all. I think I learned this step from that BBQ University guy great show!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 10:41

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

We just got a beef. My husband has been having steak every night. I've been preparing them this way. Before I always overcooked them and they were dry. Since using this method, they have been coming out butter tender. Also, my husband usually puts a ton of spices on them and then uses steak sauce. With this method, he just eats them plain. He kept asking me what I put on them because he couldn't believe how good they were with just salt & pepper.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 14:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree. I also think somehow that cast iron skillet makes it all taste better too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 18:53

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I made this recipe JUST after having gone to one of those way-over-priced Steakhouses (Morton's). This recipe rivals theirs in every way.
The only problem is...I can't do it again until I get the vent over my stove fixed. I set off all the smoke alarms! :-(

Excellent recipe!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 01:01

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioch
I made this recipe JUST after having gone to one of those way-over-priced Steakhouses (Morton's). This recipe rivals theirs in every way.
The only problem is...I can't do it again until I get the vent over my stove fixed. I set off all the smoke alarms! :-(

Excellent recipe!

I was just going to suggest that you have someone standing by at the smoke alarms to shut them off ... I'd have the whole neighbourhood here wondering if someone should call 911 for the firemen! I've NEVER had a stove vent that works well enough for top-of-the-stove steak-searing!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 15:54

Plan: No carb
Stats: 281.6/231.8/180 Female 5'5"
BF:someday
Progress: 49%

I cooked an eye of chuck steak this way, using peanut oil. Had a side of buttered green beans. Perfect!

But my smoke detector went off three times. Worth it tho'
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 11:17

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Tried this method last night..steak was great a little overcooked for our taste..But that was completely my fault..I was working with a thicker cut of steak than what we normally buy.. and I couldn't find our thermometer..So it was a little dry..but even so the taste was good..so I can only imagine how great it would have been if I hadn't overcooked it!!

Buying another thermometer this week!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 11:25

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 330/235/219 Female 5'3
BF:ugh!
Progress: 86%

I just tried this last night and it was great!
I've never liked red meat much.. but I tried this and I was so impressed.. I don't know if I can eat a steak anywhere else now lol
This is a must try!
I give this 4 thumbs up!