Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 15:57
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%
Default Cold and hunger

Okay, so that's kind of a dramatic title, but I'm glad it whetted your curiosity enough to click, because I would love some input on this.

Two things I'm dealing with more as I approach whatever weight it turns out my body wants to be.

Food first, because I'm hungry RIGHT NOW. (Fret not, I have a salad in front of me that I am slowly consuming.) And that's it in a nutshell (nuts? what kind? where?). This is like living with a perpetual toddler.

Voice of Reason, hereafter VR: Are you hungry yet? Would you like something to eat? It's been awhile . . .
Pre-maintainer, hereafter PM: Nope. Not hungry.
VR: What about now? Nice salad? Some yogurt? Chicken?
PM: not hungry.
VR: Now?
PM: NOT HUNGRY!! OR HANGRY!! DON'T CALL ME THAT! I HATE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME THAT! And why is there never anything to eat around here? I'm hungry! I will DIE if I don't eat right now.
VR: Let's head down to the kitchen. Okay, lookey-here! Some nice greens?
PM: YES! NO! I wanna have an omelet! With green onions and red peppers and sour cream and salsa. Big! Three eggs.
VR: Okay, I'll make an omelet.
PM: NO! That takes too long. I want a salad! NOW!
VR: Okay, a salad it is. Coming up.
PM: and I want red peppers and tomatoes and kale and cheese and green onions and . . .
VR [voice is starting to fray a bit, but still calm]: fine.
PM: A big one! Put that in it and that in it and that in it and . . .
VR [forced smile, clenched teeth]: Coming up.
PM: Auughh. You put green onions on it. I don't want green onions. They make me feel sick.
VR: But you like . . .
PM: that was BEFORE, not NOW! And don't use that plate, use this plate. It's my favorite. And I want a napkin.

Food is prepared, and served to PM. The first few bites sound like sacrifices sizzling in Mt. Vesuvius, because of course PM is very hungry at this point and stomach juices have been notified and are at ready. Much gurgling and grinding, but finally settles down and then steady, if slow, eating commences, punctuated by the occasional belch as Vesuvius clears its throat.

Halfway through the salad, PM announces that she can't eat another bite.
PM: I am full. You made too much.
VR: But it's such a nice salad.
PM: You will regret it if you make me eat all of that.
VR: Chock full of things that are good for you.
PM: NOT HUNGRY!
VR: okay, I'm just going to put this in the fridge for maybe later . . . [sighs and exits stage left].

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I'm not saying this is every meal. But let's just say the experience doesn't come as a shock.

Eating did not used to be this complicated.

I think I always was a meal or two ahead in reserves, and now since I'm not hungry a lot I sometimes run a bit behind the 8-ball, and then suddenly it's rolling over me. Not so much looking for solutions as company. I remember this from when I was much younger and thinner, the immediacy of hunger, and the intensity, the precision of what I was hungry for, the cessation of hunger, and the consequences of continuing to eat past that point. Like I said, like having a two-year-old in my head. I've learned to carry snacks, just like you do when you know you're going to have to keep a young child quiet when you're out and about.

Does this get worse? Or calm down?

Okay, now that I've had a few bites of salad and know I will not die RIGHT NOW let's talk about cold.

Does anyone find it a little harder to stay warm at this size? (I sense more than one of you peeking up in the corner to check that my weight is 148, not 108). I know that sounds kind of eating-disordered, but I always run a bit on the chilly side at any size. I'll wear a sweater while other people are in t-shirts. But it just seems to me that it's a bit more pronounced now.

For those of you who experience this (please let me not be the only one), does this pass once you get out of the losing stage and into maintenance? Or do you just throw on more clothes, or move to a warmer climate?

This is new territory, and I am just wondering if others have passed this way before or if I'm off wandering, a stranger in a strange land.

Okay, I have to go take a nap now.

Last edited by kathleen24 : Tue, Nov-07-17 at 19:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 18:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Cold: I look at it in reverse. I tolerate heat much better. But yes to change. As my size has changed so has my perception of body hot and cold.

Typing with one finger under comforter
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

My first thought is that with less body fat, you have less insulation and therefore feel colder.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 20:36
Monday came.

whoops--double post, see below:
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 20:39
Monday came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
My first thought is that with less body fat, you have less insulation and therefore feel colder.

It would seem that this is the conventional wisdom. But my experience with LC has taught me to sniff carefully and circle piles of conventional wisdom before trusting them. (90% of dieters regain, food pyramid, etc.) At this point I will settle for some good anecdotals and a little science. And a warm, wooly shirt . . .

Silly Thud! Have you not heard of electric blankets?

Heading downstairs now to chuck more wood in the woodstove . . .
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 09:14

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24

Does anyone find it a little harder to stay warm at this size? (I sense more than one of you peeking up in the corner to check that my weight is 148, not 108). I know that sounds kind of eating-disordered, but I always run a bit on the chilly side at any size. I'll wear a sweater while other people are in t-shirts. But it just seems to me that it's a bit more pronounced now.

For those of you who experience this (please let me not be the only one), does this pass once you get out of the losing stage and into maintenance? Or do you just throw on more clothes, or move to a warmer climate?

This is new territory, and I am just wondering if others have passed this way before or if I'm off wandering, a stranger in a strange land.

Okay, I have to go take a nap now.

Yup. That one. I've been low-carb for 3 years and pre-maintenance for 1.5. If it's under 75 in the house, I'm in a jacket. Out in the sun, I'm good as low as 65.

I HATE winter now. So looking forward to wearing gloves and double-socks inside...

And I'm hungry much of the day. I despair as I'm unsure I will ever finally get back to goal and stay there. My hunger-monster is insistent upon me regaining the 90lb I've lost. Too bad for it that I'm as stubborn as they come...I may never get there but I'm hell-bent on not going back. Still I do get tired of being hungry all the time. And then getting meltdown-hangry in 2.5 sec! I don't have the "not hungry" feeling you do though. I have to just count and measure out what I am supposed to eat. I will eat it all and lick the bowl, still sniffing for more. Well, you don't get more, idiot. Learn something finally, will ya!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 02:22
Monday came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
Yup. That one. I've been low-carb for 3 years and pre-maintenance for 1.5. If it's under 75 in the house, I'm in a jacket. Out in the sun, I'm good as low as 65.

I HATE winter now. So looking forward to wearing gloves and double-socks inside...

And I'm hungry much of the day. I despair as I'm unsure I will ever finally get back to goal and stay there. My hunger-monster is insistent upon me regaining the 90lb I've lost. Too bad for it that I'm as stubborn as they come...I may never get there but I'm hell-bent on not going back. Still I do get tired of being hungry all the time. And then getting meltdown-hangry in 2.5 sec! I don't have the "not hungry" feeling you do though. I have to just count and measure out what I am supposed to eat. I will eat it all and lick the bowl, still sniffing for more. Well, you don't get more, idiot. Learn something finally, will ya!

Yep, we lose all this weight (in part) to look sexy. Now we just have to find men who lick their lips at the sight of women wearing pajamas, wool socks, sweaters, and knit hats to bed. Or who are at least willing to find it normal. Or overlook it?

I am sorry to hear that you're dealing with non-stop hunger. That's supposed to be one of the beautiful things about LC, not being hungry all the time. I respect your willingness to be so disciplined about portions. I made a soup tonight that was mostly veggies, some sausage, a little cheddar soup mix. I ate half a bowl and started to feel full. Ate the rest of the bowl and would have eaten another, only because the bear was awakened. I had to remove myself from the scene of the crime-to-be in order to let my body figure out that not-hungry-anymore-means-stop-eating. Yep to eternal vigilance. Thin is not cured.