Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1771   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 06:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
sorry that happened Mary. I have 2 other theories-
1)You had a stomach bug. You didn't have an appetite for dinner (BTW a banana is plenty of carbs), then were sick. I was just in London and there is a nasty fast stomach bug going round there.
2)electrolyte imbalance. I have found that drinking some broth helps tremendously. When people first start LC they lose lots of water and electrolytes. Dr. Westman strongly urges people to drink 1-2 cups of broth a day when starting LC.

Hope you feel better!

We had house guests Thursday -Sunday,and I am exhausted. We got back from our trip Monday night, and I was still sick from my cold and had jet lag. Just when I was starting to feel better our friends came. They are old old friends- but she is very high maintenance. Would NOT leave me alone for a minute! When the guys wanted to do something alone, she wanted to "all be together". I just need a few days to take care of myself. Like yesterday they were about to go to the airport, and I was making lunch for me- tuna salad- and she asked "can you make me a sandwich for the plane?" - so I did. My DH said that I was "very good".

Made a crack slaw recipe last night- fantastic. Did one with Mexican seasoning and some shredded cheese- put in a casserole dish in the oven to melt it- and added some chopped green peppers. YUM. Had a green salad and bread for carb. DH also had some chocolate cake (that friends brought) for dessert. I just left the room and started laundry.
Sponsored Links
  #1772   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 07:00

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

MaryH, that sounds horrible. I can see why you want to be sure, if it wasn't a stomach bug, that you can guard against this happening again.

Down 1.5 pounds for this past week, but that isn't good news. It doesn't matter what the stress was, had 2 rm yesterday, and a doughnut. I must learn a different coping skill. I should have had a more significant weight loss for this past week, and not seen the number I did this am.
Now I will work for maintaining over this next week, or a tiny loss. Doubt I can pull out another 1.5 lb. loss this week. At least it is 2 weeks of loss in a 3 week span, after a plateau, is nice to be able to say.

Still keeping it simple for breakfast and lunch, trying a variety of rm dishes to make up for eating out less, and to keep it from being boring.
Tonight is a tandoori spiced chicken with an appropriate amount of green lentils for carb.
Tomorrow is Cuban pot roast with an appropriate amount of potato dumplings as carb (is either 1 or 2 when I make as per package directions).
Wednesday rm is leftovers. Thursday is steak and a slice of apple pie (youngest bil is coming on Friday for lunch - but much later than I eat, and dh is fasting except for dinner that day, so pie is partially for bil to have for lunch, as this is the first time he's been to any home we've lived in, and well, my gram always made an apple pie for special occasions )
  #1773   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-17, 15:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
Pat, hope your visit went well. Your menu sounded great.

I tried posting here this am, but it never went through, so I'm reposting now.

Went to a party last night- they served cold poached salmon with snow peas and green beans and a lentil salad. Delish! We left before dessert. I felt fine about it. Decided not to have anything when we got home. DH had dessert.

Tonight's planned RM: salad, chicken sausage patties, eggplant, bread, water. Tomorrow I'm grilling chicken breasts, making zoodles and don't know what else.

later-
E
  #1774   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-17, 14:36

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks so much Eno for those theories.
It's a funny one alright. I did suspect perhaps the turkey rashers were a bit off,
i also suspect it could be hormonal. (I always blame that.).

Regardless, i'm not giving up.

Do you or Pat use a slow cooker? I've heard those are so convenient if you don't have time to prepare meals.
  #1775   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-17, 15:06
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
I have never had a slow cooker or a pressure cooker- very limited counter space. It would be great if you are working and want a meal when you get home.
later-
E
  #1776   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-17, 18:09

I haven't been comfy with a pressure cooker, but the Instant Pot my husband bought me, is easier to understand and use, and I love it (you can saute in it, make yogurt, use it as a slow cooker, or use the pressure feature).

I also use a regular slow cooker, which I have recipes to use with it, that I love.

I have a sous vide set up as well
  #1777   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 13:28

BF:

Had never even heard of a sous vide Pat,
just googled it there!
Looks like an interesting contraption.

You have an expertise in culinary skills by the sound of it!
  #1778   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
Had never even heard of a sous vide Pat,
just googled it there!
Looks like an interesting contraption.

You have an expertise in culinary skills by the sound of it!

Actually, my husband is a better cook. He gifted me with the immersion portion, and then we use a large lexan container with a hole cut in the lid for the top of it. Much more affordable than buying the container as well as the actual heating element/control.
Looks like the prices for just the controller have been coming down - see one by annova that is 129 on sale on Amazon.

It sounds extravagant, but once you have one, I can make the toughest cut of beef taste like the most expensive restaurant "cuts like butter" steak. It is amazing what low, slow cooking will do.
  #1779   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 06:36
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
another interesting thing about sous vide is that Dr. Michael Eades of Protein Power- and still lecturing on LC- invented and sold his own device!

Had a nice weekend. Had a bbq beef sandwich with a large side of coleslaw for dinner Saturday night, and had a glass of wine too. DH wanted ice cream but waited to come home so I didn't have any. Last night we had Vietnamese.
Tonight I have a meeting at 5 and another at 7, in the same place, so I'm bringing a tuna sandwich, salad and can of club soda that I'll have between.
I got some grass fed beef burgers on sale last week (half off) so I'm planning on having that for RM on Wednesday with an English muffin as a bun (and my carb). I'm also making cauliflower tater tots- have a package to try- and a salad. DH will add on whatever.

later-
E
  #1780   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 08:59

So I was right, just a small loss for this past week, but happy with that, and the better choices made from Friday - Sunday eve. Lost 1/2 pound, and since January 1st, have lost almost 16.5 pounds of the 29 I'd gained from mid November to January 1st.

I will be much happier when I am back at November's low of a clothed 262 in doctors office.
  #1781   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 15:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

You'll get there, Pat!!!
  #1782   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 05:54

Saw a 270+ this am! First time in months. Yay!

What is sad, as I just posted in my journal, is my FB memory for this day - I was 6 pounds from goal (which at that time was 146), so I must have been 152. Just 2 years ago. Wow. I'd like to be back there, like right now.

sigh.
  #1783   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 11:12

BF:

I get so overwhelmed too sometimes when I look at some task I want/need to achieve and that I'm daunted by.

I suppose all we can do is just focus on just the correct steps to take and take it one day at a time.
Making the absolute best of each day & trying to enjoy life regardless is the real challenge.
I read somewhere that every day is like having a $20 bill that you must spend or else it will be gone the next day. Just another way of saying seize the day I suppose because we won't ever get it back.

I know you have exactly what it takes to be where you want to be again & faster than you think too Pat. I have every faith in you. Time flies.
I don't have a patch on your consistency and determination.
(Not that I should compare myself or anything!)
  #1784   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 07:13

Thanks Maryh, some of this feels so anti-climatic. Not as exciting as first time, but then, this isn't about excitement. It's about feeling healthy and good, and living longer.

Saw the 260s again this morning, for the first time since I ate my way up out of them in November. Yay, truly.

I am having a mini-whoosh these past several days, and want it continue for the entire week

Still have this goal of reaching as close to 220s as I can get by end of July.

We shall see.
  #1785   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 218.2/170.6/155 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi!

I'm trying CAD again. I'm in year 4 of maintenance after a 70 lb loss. I have kept if a good portion it but I'm around 15 lbs from where I want to be.

So today is day 2 back on plan. 2 of the Heller's books AND the website mentions in passing eating **only** the Reward meal as an option etc . Right now I'm eating 2 CM + Reward meal. Yesterday I had a CM snack in addition.

I'm severely carbohydrate addicted. I can feel cravings and insulin levels surging or something after having a large day of eating carbs etc. I have a history of PCOS, pre-diabetes and gestational diabetes 4 times.

Today so far

Breakfast-
3 eggs with pepperoni and cheese

Lunch -
1 Tablespoon or so virgin coconut oil
Chicken "salad"

6 oz chicken breast
2 Tablespoons mayo
Dill pickles
Mustard

Supper Reward Meal

- 2 Tablespoons Wheat grass (4.8 servings veggies)
- 1 Tablespoon virgin coconut oil

And I will update later with the rest.