Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#436   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 01:23

Plan: L/C.Organic.Wholefoods
Stats: 174.6/165/140 Female 5.9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

thank-you susanne
welcome Dorrie.

i am doing really well
on day 19 of lowcarb.
feel great
no bingeing and cravings much much less for sweets.
been using step 3 to help with cravings.
have upped my meetings to help with new way of eating .
have not followed a meal plan other than only eating when hungry and stopping before too full.
and only eating when i feel stomach hunger as opposed to emotional hunger.
if i eat when emotionally hungry i seem to set up craving.
its like a switch going on..
xxxs

p.s. i have also lost 13 lbs!!!!.in 19 days...a miracle.could not believe it when i weighed myself today.
Sponsored Links
  #437   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 01:27

Plan: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Stats: 284/171/115 Female 5feet, 1+3/4inches
BF:Everywhere!
Progress: 67%

I had to put my beloved kitty to sleep this past Saturday. She was only 8. In a nutshell, she had cancer. For all the details, it's in 'Cats Discussion" in the Off-Topic forum. I can't seem to stop crying. I'm so depressed I want to die. I'm not suicidal or anything, I don't have the energy. I'm just shattered, completely wiped out. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but she (and, to a lesser degree, her brother) were my world. I really have no energy to get out there and help someone else, to get my mind off this sadness. I guess I should go to a meeting and share about it, but I don't think I could bear to hear someone try to minimize the sadness of it all. I have been in touch with recovering friends, who were very solicitous while she was sick, but after the "I'm sorry" phase, everybody is unaffected but me. This is the worst experience of my life. I haven't been caring what I eat or weigh, but I have been eating whatever's convenient, mostly SAD fare. Everything tastes sour.
  #438   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 05:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/182/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Oh Polly...I am so sorry. I do not have pets...my granddaughter lives with us and she is so allergic and my stepson has CF so we cannot have them. BUT..I had a cat who passed just last year who was 20 years old. She was a tortoise shell named Sadie. Sadie was a member of our family and we all loved her very very much. Although she is gone now we will NEVER forget her. She was my friend...saw me through everything I went through in my life and ALWAYS just wanted to love me...no matter what. My family is very close to all their animals...always have been. It is devastating when we lose one of them and the pain is a stage that we need to go through...it is because we loved them so very much!! They are not "just animals"...they were our good friends. I am going away for a coupe weeks but will check in when I get back, Polly. Untill then please know that I am thinking of you!! Hugs, Dorrie
  #439   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 08:49
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Way to go on 9 years, Dorrie!
  #440   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 12:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva
Way to go on 9 years, Dorrie!

Thanks Wyodiva!! My b-day is not untill the 30th of this month but it is coming quick! Boy the years go by fast after a while!! Thanks again!!!!!
  #441   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-09, 07:39

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default pet death and meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyL
I had to put my beloved kitty to sleep this past Saturday. She was only 8. In a nutshell, she had cancer. For all the details, it's in 'Cats Discussion" in the Off-Topic forum. I can't seem to stop crying. I'm so depressed I want to die. I'm not suicidal or anything, I don't have the energy. I'm just shattered, completely wiped out. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but she (and, to a lesser degree, her brother) were my world. I really have no energy to get out there and help someone else, to get my mind off this sadness. I guess I should go to a meeting and share about it, but I don't think I could bear to hear someone try to minimize the sadness of it all. I have been in touch with recovering friends, who were very solicitous while she was sick, but after the "I'm sorry" phase, everybody is unaffected but me. This is the worst experience of my life. I haven't been caring what I eat or weigh, but I have been eating whatever's convenient, mostly SAD fare. Everything tastes sour.

Three years ago I was one year sober when my dog, 13 years old, became very ill and I knew I would have to put him down. This dog traveled all over the US with me during my geographical cure phase, and I loved him very much - he was always there for me no matter what, even when I was not there for myself. I went to my home group and blurted out at the beginning of the meeting what was going on, cried like a baby, snorted and snotted - I did not care, that is what my home group is for. Several others were also crying and they loved me that day, and I left better than when I went in. We cannot get into thinking that "they" will not understand or that we cannot live with what others in meetings say. We go to meetings to help others, not to help ourselves...that day, I helped a man who had 15 years of sobriety because the next year his 19 y.o. kitty died and he came in and did the same thing I did, and told me that my sharing had helped him to come to the meeting and share his pain. That is God working miracles. let your home group know what is going on. This isolation nonsense contributes to depression, ego buildup, and reliance on old ideas. Let your friends in recovery love you while you need them most.
  #442   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-09, 19:49

BF:

[B]Hey Polly!! I was just wondering how tyou are doimg??!! Please check in when you can! Hugs Dorrie
  #443   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-09, 01:28

Plan: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Stats: 284/171/115 Female 5feet, 1+3/4inches
BF:Everywhere!
Progress: 67%

Thanks, you all, for your concern and suggestions. It's been a help.

My home group can be pretty harsh, pretty hard-core. Since I haven't wanted to drink or use throughout this whole experience (which is a miracle I'm so glad about), I've mostly been sharing the emotional stuff outside of my home group with my women friends in AA. So many times I've shared problems in my home group, and I left feeling kind of put-down, or bashed-on, for even saying I felt like drinking. So I just basically stopped sharing that there. It's a weird dynamic there. It's an okay group to go to when everything is hunky-dory. But it's pretty much "Stop yer whining and get over it already!" if everything isn't hunky-dory, so I've just found a better experience talking to women individually. When I can get to a place (emotionally-speaking) where I can talk about Alice and stress the part about the miracle of not wanting to drink, I'll take that to the home group. The good outcome of having this type of home group is that it's forced me to connect with women outside of the group. When I have an issue I want to share with a group, I almost always go to another group meeting, not my home group. My home group is my home group because the 7am meeting time works best for my wacked-out schedule more days than not.

All that being said...

I think yesterday is the first day I didn't cry about Alice in about a month or so. I was all torn up just watching her health failing, even before she actually died. She's still constantly on my mind. I still feel very ill-at-ease, very unrestful inside myself. Her not being there when I come home is still surreal, every day. Somehow I'm not sure that not crying necessarily means I'm 'getting better.'

But that's the update. I really do thank you all for your support, it means so much to me, it really does.
  #444   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 21:30
Clueless. ODAAT.

Polly, any chance you can find a more tolerant home group? That's difficult. I have to admit, mine is this way too, but the nearest alternative meeting (a 'healthy' one, anyway) is about a 90 minute drive. My solution was the same as yours...talking to 'safe' folks outside of AA.

I'm sorry about your kitty. *hugs*
  #445   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 19:54
Clueless. ODAAT.

*bump* Any new FOBW out there on ALC?
  #446   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 16:54
Clueless. ODAAT.

My name is Susanne and I'm a down and dirty drunk with the food too.
  #447   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:02
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Have 2 years today. Woo Hoo

Denise
  #448   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:05

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Congrats to you both!
  #449   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 13:49
Clueless. ODAAT.

Congrats, Denise, on two years!!!!
  #450   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-10, 21:31

Stats: 315.5/315.5/170 Female 5ft6
BF:Got It

So happy to have found even more Bill W friends!!! I am one week away from 30 days of abstinence! This program is truly a life saver for me. I have been LCing on and off for years but there was something missing and I found it the moment I walked into the rooms. Take care all! Post often I just love to see and hear those in the fellowship!