Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 12:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I find the riced versions of cauliflower and broccoli to be cheaper than whole fresh ones...and Trader Joe's explained why. They are now able to use the stems that get thrown out or become a cheap ingredient in soup or something. For riced broccoli it has to be the stems. Riced florets would be mush. It's like using vegetables "nose to tail" http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/3458

I am making cauliflower fauxtato salad for Memorial Day and a head cost $4. I could get two bags of riced for that.

And thank you previous posters..this thread is hysterical.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 12:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ok, I'll have to check TJs. I was at Whole Foods this week, and the riced veggies were a ripoff, but not much differently priced than other supermarkets in my area. I find TJs' nut prices the best in the area, so this makes sense. You can find a lot of nuts at TJs.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 13:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd be all over frozen riced cauliflower. Apparently frozen cauliflower is too exotic for my neck of the woods.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 20:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found broccoli rice at TJ's too.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 21:07

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Walmart here has frozen riced cauliflower bags. Although the regular (non-organic) heads are cheaper.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Walmart here carries both Green Giant and Birdseye riced cauliflower frozen, and mainstream grocers that carry those two common brands. I also saw flavored cauliflower! In larger pieces but one of the flavors was "Buffalo" ..maybe that would be popular in the Ontario Walmarts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Birds-Ey...9.5-oz/45047050

Edit an hour later: Target ad in Sunday paper has a sale on the Birdseye Steamfresh Veggie Made line, also Green Giant, $2.99 a bag...this is what is pictured: https://www.birdseye.com/vegetable-...esh-veggie-made Next to the Fruit Loops and Hot Pockets

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-28-17 at 09:38.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 05:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am getting a new kitchen soon (adding another apartment to our living space) and this should help me cook more. Our present kitchen has no counter space to speak of; makes it far more challenging than I would like.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 10:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Walmart here carries both Green Giant and Birdseye riced cauliflower frozen, and mainstream grocers that carry those two common brands. I also saw flavored cauliflower! In larger pieces but one of the flavors was "Buffalo" ..maybe that would be popular in the Ontario Walmarts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Birds-Ey...9.5-oz/45047050

Edit an hour later: Target ad in Sunday paper has a sale on the Birdseye Steamfresh Veggie Made line, also Green Giant, $2.99 a bag...this is what is pictured: https://www.birdseye.com/vegetable-...esh-veggie-made Next to the Fruit Loops and Hot Pockets

Hubby brought home some of the Buffalo cauliflower for me to try out. I thought it was a weird idea, but I liked it. We buy the frozen riced cauliflower pretty regularly now, and they sell a few brands of mashed cauliflower as well.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 13:44
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

In "Breaking Bad" Episode 4: 'Fifty-One' Skyler gave her secret for getting the lumps out of her mashed potatoes by "using a ricer" so I guess the term has now really gone mainstream --
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 14:04

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
"using a ricer"
The "waterless cookware" I bought in 1967 has a set of pans that includes a "ricer." It's a double-decker pot. You steam the 'taters in the top pan, then mash 'em through the holes. Voila! Riced potatoes. Same deal with cauliflower.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 15:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
"using a ricer"

Not at all a new term. I have my grandmother's old ricer, to "rice" potatoes. Grandmother died in 1950. I have a more modern one as well, as hers isn't in the best of condition; they are essentially the same, like giant garlic presses. Of course I don't use either one anymore
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 19:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Not at all a new term. I have my grandmother's old ricer, to "rice" potatoes. Grandmother died in 1950. I have a more modern one as well, as hers isn't in the best of condition; they are essentially the same, like giant garlic presses. Of course I don't use either one anymore

What if you get some elephant garlic?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 20:34

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
What if you get some elephant garlic?

Good idea, except that I don't like elephant garlic, so would never invite it into the house. Garlic is lovely; the big stuff, which is really a type of leek, not so much in my opinion. Leeks are lovely too. I'm not quite sure what the problem is with Elephant garlic, but I have never appreciated it's nuances.
And I don't really mind, and rather appreciate the rustic qualities of potato masher mashed cauliflower, so it might be time to pass on my ricer to someone who would appreciate it. I'll keep grandmother's though; it looks good hanging on the wall with some of her other old kitchen tools.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 00:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Now I have a craving for mashed potatoes and gravy
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 10:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Haha, I had a bit of a pizza craving yesterday so used my frozen riced cauliflower to make this recipe:
http://detoxinista.com/2015/09/the-...er-pizza-crust/
I topped mine with sauce, mozzarella cheese, 6-cheese Italian blend, turkey pepperoni, fresh basil, fresh baby bella mushrooms, garlic, avocado.

And it was TERRIBLE. The crust fell apart and crumbled into riced pieces, it didn't even taste good. It totally fell apart. So I love the idea of having riced cauliflower, but I won't be trying it again for this recipe!