Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 10:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Crave Man- The End of Overeating by David Kessler

Crave Man
David Kessler Knew That Some Foods Are Hard to Resist; Now He Knows Why

He went in the middle of the night, long after the last employee had locked up the Chili's Grill and Bar. He'd steer his car around the back, check to make sure no one was around and then quietly approach the dumpster.

If anyone noticed the man foraging through the trash, they would have assumed he was a vagrant. Except he was wearing black dress slacks and padded gardening gloves. "I'm surprised he didn't wear a tie," his wife said dryly.

The high-octane career path of David A. Kessler, the Harvard-trained doctor, lawyer, medical school dean and former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration had come to this: nocturnal dumpster diving. Sometimes, he would just reach in. Other times, he would climb in.

It took many of these forays until Kessler emerged with his prize: ingredient labels affixed to empty cardboard boxes that spelled out the fats, salt and sugar used to make the Southwestern Eggrolls, Boneless Shanghai Wings and other dishes served by the nation's second-largest restaurant chain.

Kessler was on a mission to understand a problem that has vexed him since childhood: why he can't resist certain foods.

His resulting theory, described in his new book, "The End of Overeating," is startling. Foods high in fat, salt and sugar alter the brain's chemistry in ways that compel people to overeat. "Much of the scientific research around overeating has been physiology -- what's going on in our body," he said. "The real question is what's going on in our brain."

The ingredient labels gave Kessler information the restaurant chain declined to provide when he asked for it. At the FDA, Kessler pushed through nutritional labels on foods sold through retail outlets but stopped short of requiring the same for restaurants. Yet if suppliers ship across state lines, as suppliers for Chili's do, the ingredients must be printed on the box. That is what led Kessler, one of the nation's leading public health figures, to hang around dumpsters across California.

The labels showed the foods were bathed in salt, fat and sugars, beyond what a diner might expect by reading the menu, Kessler said. The ingredient list for Southwestern Eggrolls mentioned salt eight different times; sugars showed up five times. The "egg rolls," which are deep-fried in fat, contain chicken that has been chopped up like meatloaf to give it a "melt in the mouth" quality that also makes it faster to eat. By the time a diner has finished this appetizer, she has consumed 910 calories, 57 grams of fat and 1,960 milligrams of sodium.

Instead of satisfying hunger, the salt-fat-sugar combination will stimulate that diner's brain to crave more, Kessler said. For many, the come-on offered by Lay's Potato Chips -- "Betcha can't eat just one" -- is scientifically accurate. And the food industry manipulates this neurological response, designing foods to induce people to eat more than they should or even want, Kessler found.

His theory, born out in a growing body of scientific research, has implications not just for the increasing number of Americans struggling with obesity but for health providers and policymakers.

"The challenge is how do we explain to America what's going on -- how do we break through and help people understand how their brains have been captured?" he said.

Kessler is best remembered for his investigation of the tobacco industry and attempts to place it under federal regulation while he was FDA commissioner from 1990 to 1997. Although he was appointed by George H.W. Bush, Kessler became popular among Democrats for his tough regulatory stance. He got the nickname "Eliot Knessler" after he authorized the U.S. attorney's office in Minnesota to seize a large quantity of Citrus Hill Fresh Choice orange juice in 1991 because it was labeled "fresh" when it was, in fact, partially processed. After he was elected in 1992, President Bill Clinton asked Kessler to continue to run the FDA.

more at link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...9042602711.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 10:49
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler
Foods high in fat, salt and sugar alter the brain's chemistry in ways that compel people to overeat. "Much of the scientific research around overeating has been physiology -- what's going on in our body," he said. "The real question is what's going on in our brain."

I saw him interviewed by Bill Maher last night. I think that he is right on target with this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 11:07

Plan: 30/40/30
Stats: 225/135/135 Male 73 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree with Kessler's views here. Refined carbohydrate and fat together are a very unnatural combination. Throw in some MSG; use clever marketing and you can make food almost addictive.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 11:39
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"Highly palatable" foods -- those containing fat, sugar and salt -- stimulate the brain to release dopamine, the neurotransmitter associated with the pleasure center, he found. In time, the brain gets wired so that dopamine pathways light up at the mere suggestion of the food, such as driving past a fast-food restaurant, and the urge to eat the food grows insistent. Once the food is eaten, the brain releases opioids, which bring emotional relief. Together, dopamine and opioids create a pathway that can activate every time a person is reminded about the particular food. This happens regardless of whether the person is hungry.

Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Not everyone is vulnerable to "conditioned overeating" -- Kessler estimates that about 15 percent of the population is not affected and says more research is needed to understand what makes them immune.

But for those like Kessler, the key to stopping the cycle is to rewire the brain's response to food -- not easy in a culture where unhealthy food and snacks are cheap and plentiful, portions are huge and consumers are bombarded by advertising that links these foods to fun and good times, he said.

Deprivation only heightens the way the brain values the food, which is why dieting doesn't work, he said.

Bingo!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 11:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I noticed there are certain things that stimulate my desire to eat, not necessarily carby foods and most of them are kind of salty or salty + umami like salted nuts, cheese. Even pate kind of tweaks this in me.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 13:01

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm pretty similar. I find it very difficult to resist a combination of high fat, slightly carby - like nuts - and a toasted or baked flavour. For example, toasted, salted nuts, or flax crackers and dip. Unsalted and/or untoasted nuts don't do it at all. I wonder why the combination of "toast" flavour and salt is so attractive? What's the chemical difference between untoasted and toasted nuts? Any ideas?

I've finally realized I can't fight this particular craving, so I've pretty well stopped eating nuts, aside from macadamias, which I find easier to resist for some reason.

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 16:06
Attitude is a Choice

Yes...me too...salty crunchy freak over here.
Chips were my demise, still are. I can't stop once started...so I tend to avoid them.

This also speaks to why cheeses are so tough for many people....fat + high salt in cheese....it does get hard to stop at a few ozs a day.

What I liked about what Dr Kessler said on Bill Maher last night, was that at some point, we each have to take personal responsibility for our choices.

I seem to have come to this type of conclusion on my journey as I started to "manage my internal dialoge" and refused to allow my negative mind to dominate my choices....as it always lead me down a path of destruction.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 18:55
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I seem to have come to this type of conclusion on my journey as I started to "manage my internal dialoge" and refused to allow my negative mind to dominate my choices....as it always lead me down a path of destruction.

*big thumbs up*
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 07:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Physiology doesn't exclude the brain.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 10:49

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 248/220/170 Male 5'10"
BF:Beef fat...mmmmmm
Progress: 36%

French fries and gravy will always be like crack for me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 11:31

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Nuts are good for you. So my highly disciplined older son keeps only unsalted, unroasted nuts around. These are the kind you can eat the amount you think is good for you
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 13:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I imagine we are also wired differently, so that some of us have a weakness for high-fat, high-sugar foods, whereas others go for the umami, salty stuff. I also belong to the latter group - indeed, I caved into that very craving last night - salted peanuts... With beer... And, you know what, it wasn't so much the beer I was craving, but the peanuts that I was going to have with the beer. Weird. I even convinced myself that this craving was probably half-way healthy, as, apparently, peanuts are rich in CoQ10... But I bet it wasn't the CoQ10 that my brain was after...

I paid in spades today for this little adventure, though, so I shall stay well away from those little bleeders for a good long while!!!

amanda
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 20:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Nuts are good for you. So my highly disciplined older son keeps only unsalted, unroasted nuts around. These are the kind you can eat the amount you think is good for you

That's how I keep it under control too.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 16:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I buy them in the shell. The effort required to eat them limits my amounts.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 21:01

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

What AJ said. Also I use portion control. I have these little flan dishes and half fill them with nuts. About 1/4-1/3 cup of nuts. Take it upstairs with me and nibble away. I never go back for more. Was I to bring the whole can upstairs, or just leave the whole thing near me, I'd end up eating much much more.

Another trick is combine nuts with cheese. A small chunk of cheese and a handful of nuts and that's pratically a meal. It totally kills my hunger. To the point I have to avoid that combo if I am planning to eat supper, otherwise I won't be able to eat it.