Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maint/nursing mom
Stats: 188/161/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default I'm back and preggo! HELP

I lost 32 pounds before I got pregnant on Atkins. I am 27 weeks pregnant and have gained 30 pounds! I was sick in the beginning and just felt that all I could eat was carbs constantly to keep from throwing up. Now I am just sick and tired of this carb overdose I'm experiencing daily. Starting today I am going to try to keep my carbs around 70-90/day. Is this okay? Any advice is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 12:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I think 70-90 g range is good as long as you're eating healthy, wholesome carbohydrates - like fruit, beans, nuts, dairy and some whole grains (in addition to all the veggies). I try and keep it under 100g most days myself (though in those early weeks it was near impossible ). Just listen to your body.

You're not trying to make it so that you don't gain more than 32 lbs total, are you? Because since you're only at 27 weeks and have already gained 30 lbs, 2 more lbs wouldn't be advisable since you still have around 13 weeks left... You should still be gaining about a pound a week, or whatever your doctor recommends.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 21:38

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congratulations on the weight loss and the little one! I think that level of carbs is good, also. Please look up the Brewer Medical diet for pregnancy to see just how important good nutrition, especially protein, is in pregnancy. Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 05:53
Registered Member

BF:

I know I will gain more weight, I just don't want to keep going at a crazy out of control pace. I figure I will gain up to 15 more pounds, hopefully not much more than that! I am just such a carb-addict that I know this is contributing to the weight gain and I have a hard time coming off of them unless I go into ketosis, which I know I can't do right now. So, yesterday I was at around 90 carbs, which was hard, but doable. I know it usually gets easier after some time, and I have to get to the grocery to stock up on some healthier stuff.

Thanks for the advice and help to both of you. I will look up the Brewer's Medical diet, that is one I haven't researched.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 05:57
Registered Member

BF:

I forgot to mention that my last baby weight 9#2.5oz, we don't want to have one much bigger than that! OUCH
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 15:33

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My last one was 10 lb 11 oz, no problems at all, don't worry about it!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 09:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

You should start using your journal again... Then you can post your meals every day and it will help you remain accountable. I still enter all my foods in My Plan and note them in my journal, and it really does help me to keep in line.

Good luck!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 12:10

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Go for it!
I am terribly disappointed that I could not LC during my 3 pregnancies. In the beginning, it was like you...couldn't imagine eating anything but carbs to keep from barfing. Once I got past that phase, the SMELL of cooking beef, chicken, pork, ANYTHING DID make me barf.

I think keeping daily carbs between 50 and 100 grams will do you just fine. Try to keep them more from fruits, veggies, dairy (if you are OK with dairy) than from wheat and grains. Just my own personal opinion.

My biggest was 10lb 3oz, so ALGTS has me beat! The good thing is...the bigger they are, the sooner they sleep!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 17:39

Plan: Paleo? Real Foods
Stats: 215/190/135 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 31%

I haven't heard anyone mention Milk Thistle, found in most natural food stores. I had a friend who was dealing with an extreme case of nausea, she found a few drops of a Milk Thistle tincture a few times a day mad all the difference. I hope it helps