Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 06:41

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Tyrelle,
If you don't want to add bulk, keep your reps high 15-20. This mimics more of a Cardio type routine but will help you build some muscle. Muscle is good because it burns more calories than fat pound for pound.

I am sure your gym came with some exercise descriptions. I would recommend starting with a Curcuit type training session.

Start out with 2-3 Sets, set weight so you can do 15-20 repetitions, when you finish one exercise only rest 30 seconds, then move to next. I don't know all the exercises your equipment can do, but I've put an example Curcuit plan below.

Each Set contains the following, do each exercise once, move to next, try to repeat entire regiment 2-3 times all the way through.

You will have to play with weights first couple times to find out what weight level will allow you to do all 15 reps. If you have to reduce weight on last set to get all 15 reps that's ok. For each exercise focus on nice smooth movement both the out and back movements, out and back should be same duration, try for 1 second out, 1 second back. Idea is you don't want to jerk weight out, then just drop it back. Also, try to keep weight lifted just above the weight stack during exercise, try to keep the weight you are lifting from hitting the stack( weights you are not lifting ). If you are clanging the weights together that's bad, the idea is to control the weight all the way through the motion:

Full Body Curcuit:
Chest Press, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Shoulder Press, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Seated Row, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Lat Pull down, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Arm Curl, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Tricep extension, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Leg Extension, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
Leg Curl, 15-20 reps
30 second rest
go back to top and repeat 2-3 times

Regards,
Lux
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 19:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default butt moves

Meg, do unilateral leg presses with your feet (foot) high on the platform. Go as deep as you can on it.

You can also do partial deadlifts from a power rack. Set the pegs at just below knee height. Bend down (keep back straight) and pick up the bar with both hands. Stand straight up. Do 3 sets of these. 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps. Increase the weight on each set. Make sure you are sticking your but out a little when you do them, but still maintain a flat back (kinda like you are squatting ... or about to sit in a chair)

Are you doing step-ups? They are a good fanny buster.

Also, try supersettting lunges with back extensions. When you do the back extensions, only go down about half the way, then back up and REALLY sueeze your glutes at the top. If you don't feel it, hold a weight plate across your chest.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by Luxsit
Tyrelle,
If you don't want to add bulk, keep your reps high 15-20. This mimics more of a Cardio type routine but will help you build some muscle. Muscle is good because it burns more calories than fat pound for pound....

Thanks for the great advice Lux.. I've been away for a week or two..hoping to get back on the ball on Sunday. I'm pumped and ready and glad to be back.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Ok, a few days ago I worked out and my butt is still too sore to sit down like a normal young and healthy human being. I have added one of the exercises I did to my every day prog... ie: something I plan to do every single day but usually end up doing 4x/week because of laziness or sth else.

Anyway, I put my upper back on an exercise ball and stick my pelvis in the air (this is something I do at home, not in public) using my heels to push off. I do 200 reps - usually divided up into 8-10 sets.

Is this going to make the glutes smaller instead of bigger? Most of what I read says high reps to tighten and make the muscles smaller, but I can't help thinking of those skaters or hikers with massive thighs. Hiking isn't a low rep activity.

Thanks,
Meg
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 13:56
Registered Member

Default another question!

I have probs squatting because of a long legs/short torso build, and recently tried a new exercise (for me) which was squatting with an exercise ball between my back and the wall.
It felt awesome! It seemed like all of the right muscles were being worked without balance or joint probs.
Any opinions on this exercise?
Meg
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:28

Default late, but OK ...

that's a great exercise. Wall Squats.

I usually put them at the end of my leg workout ... I squat down, and then hold myself at the parallell position until my legs shake and shake ... until I can't hold myself up anymore. Then I just sit down and rest. LOL.

I do it without the ball, and I just slide down against the wall ... but whatever works, DO IT!

I see people doing it with the ball at the gym all the time ...
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:42

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

The only thing is with this exercise??? make sure sure you have no splinters of wood sticking out of your wall .. LOL
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 00:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default yucky butt and legs

Hey there Dan, You have a great bod and you obviously work hard at it. WOW!

I used to belong to gym and worked out an average of 2 hours every other day. BUT... no matter how hard I pushed myself my butt and thighs were still not too hot to look at. Cellulite is my enemy.

I have since taken up power walking, free weights training at home every other day, and do 30 minutes of yoga at least 3 times per week. I have been pretty much faithful to the routine for about one year

I weigh 145 and am 5'8" and have great arms and shoulders. But the butt and thigh stuff still sucks. The quads do ok, just not the hams.

I do squats religiously but had to nix the deadlifts due to back injury. I hadn't read the instuctions properly and really buggered up the lower back a year ago. I started the deadlifts again about 3 months ago but now they have aggravated the old injury.

Do you have any suggestions for working the hams. I don't have access to a gym now. I just use dumbells.

On the creatine thing, do you know if there are any complications for an insulin dependant diabetic.

Sorry it's such a long one but I really could use some advice on the butt and thigh thing.

Does age make a difference? I am 44 yrs young.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Cheers, AJ
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 14:25

Default hamstrings

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for working the hams. I don't have access to a gym now. I just use dumbells

Lunges hit hamstrings pretty well, as long as you keep yout form tight. Try front lunges, reverse lunges, and also side lunges. That should do your butt/hams pretty well.

You may also want to try step ups to give the butt a boost. They are a great exercise that most people skip because it's too hard/takes too long.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

could you go into more detail into the ab workout that worked the love handles.... i am in ok shape, i am pretty young and active... i surf, wakeboard, snoboard, and play an assortment of other sports. however, i am now working a lot of hours and dont have a ton of time to workout . I have been doing a ton of crunches and bycycle crunches, the strange thing is that my right side is much tighter than my left. I have been doubling my bycycle crunches to the left side and it is still working my right side more. no matter what i try i just end up using the abs on the right side of my body. I am right handed, but i know this is from wakeboarding... anyway, it sounds like that exercise on your side is something i could do to iso my left side. But, i dont know if i understand it. Do you have to place something over your body to hold you down and hang off a bench or something.... i normaly workout alone, so how could i do this. any help would be great.... thanks
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/178/140
BF:
Progress: 12%
Question How to

Hi TrainerDan,

I have reaad a lot of your postings and you are a great source of information. Thanks for spending the time to help us all!

I cannot figure out how to do the side-bridge exercise that you recommended for obliques in the thread starter. Do you have a link to a pic or more details?

Thanks!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 03:44

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Older exerciser

Hi. Do you have any advice on weight training for the over 50 crowd?
My shoulders make a clicking noise when I do flyes and I'm not hyperextending or using more than 6 pounds. I think there's some kind of tendonitis called "superspinatus"?? that I had once, don't want to go down that road.
Thanks!
Elaine
  #43   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 13:56

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking over 50

Hi Elaine, I just turned 53 yesterday, but of course I say I'm 39!

I don't know what the clicking noise is that you're hearing. Be sure to warm up first and then slowly build up your reps. I have several issues to deal with. My carpal tunnel is so bad I'm in a wrist splint most of the time and I have sciatica (left side). Lots of stuff I can't do, but I do what I can.

I'm thinking of trying pilates classes. Supposed to be non-stressful. I can't run at all but I can do treadmill to warm up. No bike, hurts sciatica.

Why don't you tell me what you are doing, I'd be interested in that. Good luck, HL

#44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

Thanks for all the info TrainerDan.
I took your advice from chat and had a long chat with my trainer and no I'm not upside down on the roman chair as a result. The EMG best lifts are now on my schedule and it is the BFL pryamid style. Thanks again.
Oh I was telling my fellow holdfor the holidays challenge members about the abs workout and gave them the link to this topic so you may have lots of questions about those exercises soon.
Happy low carbing to you
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 14:26
Registered Member

HLFAN, I've had carpal tunnel in my wrist for the last almost year, and recently have had GREAT results with accupuncture. I'm absolutely amazed....if that's not something you've tried already, you might want to look into it.

Off topic.. but I know how limiting it can be and wanted to offer my experience.