Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 15:44

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default pregnant and what to drink

I just found out I am pregnant with my 4th baby. I usually drink diet soft drinks or crystal light. Besides water what is a healthy low-carb drink that ok during pregnancy? What did you guys drink.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 16:09

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Our whole family drinks diluted pure cranberry juice. We get it concentrated in little bottles. The great thing about it is that if it's too sour (or too sweet, if you're used to sour) you can dilute it more.

I'm a big fan of seltzer water. My favorite is the fancy mineral water in glass bottles (e.g. Pellegrino, Mountain Spring, etc) but I'm happy with tap water fizzed up with our soda siphon.

Do you like herb tea? My favorite is rooibos.

A squeeze of lemon always makes plain water more appealing.

Coconut water isn't super low-carb, but it's a nice natural drink and it has some minerals.

You might try kombucha or kefir, but it takes a lot of effort to make it.

For a dessert drink, we like to have coconut milk smoothies. You can blend in berries, or just stir in vanilla or egg yolk with nutmeg, depending on your preference.

My wife always had to have some salt in her drink when she was pregnant. Sometimes I would just stir some unrefined sea salt into it, but most of the above things had enough minerals that she was usually ok.

A lot of these drinks take a bit more time than bottled drinks or powdered drinks, but you should ask your partner to make the effort. After all, you're pregnant!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 16:30

BF:

Doesnt the cranberry juice have a lot of sugar? The cocnut smoothies sound yummy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:10

I think if you mix it full strength the cranberry juice has about 15g carbs per cup. But we don't mix it anywhere near full strength - probably 1/8th of that or so. I always laugh when I read on the bottle that it has "8 servings." It's about 60 servings for us!

If you've never tried pure cranberry juice you're in for a surprise. I went for years without realizing that all the regular cranberry juice is "cranberry juice cocktail" with apple juice, grape juice, or corn syrup added (sometimes both). Pure cranberry juice is super-tart and not all that sweet. But it is soooooo much better than the sweetened stuff!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:17

Oh, those smoothies are yummy! While I'm making your sweetie work, I should put in a plug for my coconut milk yogurt. That's what I use in my smoothies - more tart, less sweet.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=377209

I've found that I don't like any extra tartness if I use the yogurt - just egg yolk and nutmeg. I've tried adding lemon or lime juice and that just doesn't work. It's nice with plain coconut milk though.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 10:33

BF:

thanks it sounds good. I hope others chime in to give more good ideas. Have you made yogurt with heavy cream? I was wanting to make some but I have only made it with whole milk.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 10:40

Yes, I have. It's called "Creme Bulgaire," and it resembles sour cream or creme fraiche. It was during a phase when the rest of the family was eating dairy and I wasn't, so I can't tell you how it tasted - but they loved it!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 12:09

BF:

do you have the recipe for that?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 14:41

The recipe was from the back of the yogurt culture package I bought:

Dissolve starter in a small amount of warm water.

Heat milk or cream to 180 degrees. Cool to 110 degrees. Stir in starter.

Keep yogurt at a constant temperature of 110 degrees for 4-6 hours. You can do it for longer if you want it more tart. It will make something at lower temperatures, but it will be runny. If you get it too hot, it could die and then all bets are off.

You should be able to use any live yogurt to start your own yogurt. Use about 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a quart of cream. More than that will be too "crowded" to work as well. When I make coconut milk yogurt (in pint jars) I never clean out the jars - I just wipe off the stuff from the rim and then stir in more coconut milk and let the dregs in the jar start the fermentation.

In other words, it's exactly the same as making yogurt with milk.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 14:07

BF:

I have only made it with whole milk but I am trying the cream as we speak. I usually put it in the oven at about 110 overnight But i am trying to do it during the day. We will see how it turns out
Thanks.