Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#751   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-17, 10:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I feel it's dangerous to pronounce that we KNOW exactly what works and doesn't work about IF. What is or isn't a fast. The only thing I know, is what works for my body and I'd never try to tell somebody else that the way they do IF is wrong. Hope I didn't come across like that. Guess I should always add the caveat. Necessarily, I must trust those whose experience is far greater than my own.

Glenda - I feel you came across as nothing other than submitting a positive contribution. We can relate to what works (or not) for us and hope that someone else may find value in that. It's always a positive discovery when we learn from each other.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Nov-30-17 at 21:16.
Sponsored Links
  #752   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-17, 12:59

Plan: Bernsteinish
Stats: 314/231/199 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think (emphasis on think) Moore has hit his previous peak - that doesn't look like 410 to me (as of low carb down under) but he is up over 300.

But he's got issues with food mentally he really would be better off taking care of. You probably don't get to 400 plus without them to begin with. He's always trying to game the system - successfully, but success here is a bad thing.

Which, you know, I'm not unsympathetic - I am perfectly capable of maintaining a 280 pound body eating nothing but meat, because there's more going on than appetite and satiety.

I get frustrated when people talk about low carb and keto as if it's a magic pill. For some people it is. For me, it isn't. If I don't consciously limit the amount I eat, I don't lose or maintain the loss.

(Which, for the last few years I've been maintaining an 80 pound loss from my peak, and fifty pounds from my more recent cruising weight)
  #753   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-17, 17:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Maintenance is the hardest thing. I've always been able to lose (eventually) but I've never successfully maintained a specific weight for any length of time.

If it weren't for this forum, I'd probably not have had the small success I have.

Thanks to all here for your support.
  #754   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-17, 10:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jor
I don't think (emphasis on think) Moore has hit his previous peak - that doesn't look like 410 to me (as of low carb down under) but he is up over 300.

But he's got issues with food mentally he really would be better off taking care of. You probably don't get to 400 plus without them to begin with. He's always trying to game the system - successfully, but success here is a bad thing.

Which, you know, I'm not unsympathetic - I am perfectly capable of maintaining a 280 pound body eating nothing but meat, because there's more going on than appetite and satiety.

I get frustrated when people talk about low carb and keto as if it's a magic pill. For some people it is. For me, it isn't. If I don't consciously limit the amount I eat, I don't lose or maintain the loss.

(Which, for the last few years I've been maintaining an 80 pound loss from my peak, and fifty pounds from my more recent cruising weight)

I think my right to be critical is limited, if I eat a less strict low carb diet, I gain ten or fifteen pounds, in over ten years have only exceeded 170 once that I can recall. Big difference between that and somebody whose body "thinks" it should weight 80 or 100 pounds when something shifts their hormones towards a more obesogenic tone. Even so, weight loss is easier than maintenance, maybe because the amount of food it takes to maintain is going to be more insulinogenic than the amount it takes to lose, unless you shift to more ketogenic ratios.
  #755   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-17, 08:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I don’t think Dr Fung's new book has been mentioned yet on this thread. April 3rd publication date.

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally

https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Cod...y/dp/1771642653
  #756   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-17, 07:11

Somewhat related to why Jimmy has regained so much weight, posting a newish (Dec 5th) article by Dr Phinney & Volek on the reasons why one should NOT fast.

http://blog.virtahealth.com/science...ittent-fasting/

Quote:
To Fast or Not to Fast: What Are the Risks of Fasting?

Fasting in various forms is getting a lot of media attention. Its advocates, with varying degrees of expertise and medical training, claim that it is an easy way to speed weight loss and get into ketosis, and that it is safe to do without medical supervision. We beg to differ. Looking at the published science, and particularly the long-term safety and efficacy of fasting, there are a number of reasons to be concerned with this fad approach to weight loss and metabolic health.

Long article follows....

"we beg to differ" = understatement of the year, a wind-up to a calm but very pointed rebuttal to Dr Fung and others into Extended Fasting which would include Jimmy and his sidekicks , ketodudes, me once .

The Virta Health blog has become more active, with more authors contributing science to practical cooking tips.

Someone tweeted that the Saslow & Phinney paper on LCK vs MCLF is related to the Virta work, but not the big results paper using the Virta business model of Daily monitoring. Just guessing...maybe the first paper is to show success improving diabetes but not knock your socks off results. Later we see the difference when Virta technology is added to a LCK Diet? My detour over to Virta didn’t find anything about the studies, but this fascinating summary rebuttal to fasting longer than any natural "I’m just not hungry yet"
  #757   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 04:14

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I see nothing here that would dissuade me from practising IF.
  #758   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 10:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Once again, it appears that IF is a candidate for a more accurate definition. After reading the excellent article by Phinney and Volek, I'm guessing that many who are doing what is being called IF on a daily basis is more a process of feeding timing. Some of us are eating 2 meals per day and go 18 hours between meals on successive days. Is this really fasting or is it better described as periods of recovery between meals?

Refeeding: From personal experience, I can see where IF over multiple days can have negative consequences in how one approaches the IF and how one starts eating when it's over. We've all wondered and speculated about Jimmy Moore's experiences with fasting. The observations about refeeding and the slower replacement of LBM along with added fat is revealing about how little we know about this dynamic. For those doing IF while on a standard diet, it appears to be very risky. For those eating LCHF, it's also risky and the consequences of adding fat mass when refeeding must be known. It's not necessarily a sound weight-loss protocol.

I continue to be curious about the benefits of IF in the sense of establishing a duration just long enough to experience autophagy for metabolic cleansing and health, create BDNF for improved mental awareness and brain health, and to enhance aging gracefully with an increased life span. Could it be that IF is a vehicle to achieve health benefits other than weight loss? If so, how long and how often would be my first two questions. There are many who identify IF as a health option and don't promote weight loss as a prime benefit. Like Mark Mattson (yes, I've provided this link before, but it's informative):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

Lots more to learn here. For IF as a sound vehicle for general weight loss, I don't believe this is the best approach for me. No longer will I consider two meals per day with 18 hours between meals on successive days a form of IF, it's really how I time my meals, maintain satiety in between, and encourage ketone production.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Dec-27-17 at 10:25.
  #759   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 10:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Agreed with Ambulo, there isn't a strong argument in this blog post vs. IF of less than 24 hours.
  #760   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 10:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
No longer will I consider two meals per day with 18 hours between meals on successive days a form of IF, it's really how I time my meals, maintain satiety in between, and encourage ketone production.
I agree; 200 yrs ago my homesteading antecedents farmed, logged, and hunted all day on 1-2 meals and called it "normal".
  #761   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 10:47
Doing My Best

Thanks for the link. I just shared on Facebook. People respect TED talks.
  #762   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 05:04

I don’t think Phinney & Volek have problems with OMD, but this:

Quote:
In brief, any regimen involving fasting beyond 24-hours has not been proven effective in sustaining weight loss long term. And while it can temporarily speed weight loss, this comes with a long-term price. After just one day of fasting, you begin to lose body protein from lean tissue – from places like muscle, heart, liver, and kidneys.

And then to extend it to a month like JM tried, or the even wackier snake fasts or other fasting crazies, may set up a person like JM for poor body composition leading to rapid rebound weight gain.

EDIT: Jason’s holiday podcast announcement is that IDM is adding a membership site for those who do not need individual medical advice like the distance program but want some general help. $40 a month. Should be running in a month or so. IDM staff will contribute fasting and Keto articles and advice

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-28-17 at 08:41.
  #763   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 13:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Regarding that Phinney & Volek article, it seems to imply that the loss of lean tissue is always and under every circumstance a bad thing. I question that. Is all lean tissue created equal? Maybe some lean tissue is sub-standard, old, worn out, or whatever. Perhaps a little recycleing from time to time is a good thing. I would think that there may be some benefit to losing and rebuilding new lean tissue. I lived in an unhealty state for decades. Like Rob, I am curious about the benefits of autophagy and what that might do to make me a better, healthier me.

I was one of those extra big people carrying around a lot of extra weight for many years. After my weight loss my lean tissue below the waste is body builder size, while above the waste I am more of a lean old man. We can't target fat loss, but we can sculpt where we build muscle. I've considered fasting specifically for the purpose of redistributing lean muscle from below the belt to above the belt. I may pay a short term price for that with my BMR, but I should ultimately end up where I started in that regard, but with more muscle in the right places. Whatever the case, I think that I could fast for a fairly long time before I'd need to worry about running too low on lean tissue.

As far as refeeding danger comparing healthy people alternating betweeen eating a quality diet and fasting to that of human beings who have been severly malnurashed and abused to a near death state of skin and bones... that argument a bit apples and oranges to me. It comes across to me more like a scare tactic. I realize that some people can take anything too far. I'm sure there are some people that will turn the potential healthy effects of limited duration fasting into something akin to an eating disorder. I like food too much to take fasting that far.

That said, I do experience a compulstion to overeat LC food when refeeding after a longer fast. Breaking a fast has proven problematic for me. I find it very hard to do what Dr. Fung suggests to end a fast: "Just eat a norma meal." For this reason, I'm not sure that fasts longer than 24 hours are a good fit for me. But I seem to do OK with the shorter term IFs and I really don't see any danger in dong them whatsoever.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Dec-29-17 at 07:49.
  #764   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 07:46

Fasting is everywhere this morning.

Fasting - The Movie (!) The IDM Clinic is in this, but I haven’t sprung for the $5 yet. http://fastingmovie.com

Dr Westman, like Phinney & Volek, is fine with OMD if you are just not hungry, but concerned about losing protein longer than that. Just not enough current research, studies cited are old.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-eric-...arb-vegetarians

Followed hours later by Dr Fung, saying you could stall with OMD. If so, then "shake it up" with alternate patterns. https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-...unterproductive
  #765   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 08:13
Doing My Best

Quote:
Once you’re insulin resistant, will you always be insulin resistant?
1. I am already seeing that the LCHF diet is lowering my blood sugar and I’m losing weight, but I heard you say something in an interview that made me wonder if I will remain insulin resistant?

2. I feel the tingling, burning, soreness in my feet, should that stop and be corrected by properly staying on the LCHF diet and fasting for 24 hours twice per week and a 12-hour fast every other day.

Randall

1. Insulin resistance is a reversible condition, but it sometimes takes a long time. It often takes years/ decades for hyperinsulinemia/ IR to manifest and can take years to reverse. It can be done. But it is not easy

2. This may be caused by diabetic nerve damage. I have heard anecdotes of it reversing but only in the very early stages. Once it becomes well established, it is often irreversible.

Dr. Jason Fung

Since my father had horrible diabetic neuropathy, I've always been extremely sensitive to the symptoms, afraid it would happen to me. At another place on the dietdoctor website, I found this:
Quote:
Sitting next to Gary Fettke at a ketogenic dinner (that I helped cook!) in Breckenridge this last February, I told him about my healed foot. Gary is an orthopaedic surgeon who was silenced in Tasmania for helping guide his patients to a path of proper nutrition. He was frustrated with having to amputate diabetic’s limbs when he knew the disease could be easily managed with nutrition. I told Dr. Fettke I had been on the ketogenic diet just over three years, and that my foot had recently completely healed. His eyes lit up, and he smiled and said to me “Do you know how long it takes for the nerves to regrow from your spinal cord to your foot? Three years.”
Read the entire interview here.