Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-08, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Question Do I need to rid of all my vices at once?

Ok, I have started a program to drop lbs, trying to get my eating undercontrol again, is it a good idea or even practical to quit smoking the same time? I know other times I've tried dieting I've seemed to up my smoking, esp at night when I couldn't munch away. The times I've tried to quite smoking, I've eaten all the time..I seem to trade one vice for another..do i need to do both at the same time, or is it more practical to expect to stop smoking after I get control of my eating??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 04:29

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
Ok, I have started a program to drop lbs, trying to get my eating undercontrol again, is it a good idea or even practical to quit smoking the same time? I know other times I've tried dieting I've seemed to up my smoking, esp at night when I couldn't munch away. The times I've tried to quite smoking, I've eaten all the time..I seem to trade one vice for another..do i need to do both at the same time, or is it more practical to expect to stop smoking after I get control of my eating??

I would recommend one step at a time. Apparently, there is a link between smoking and metabolism, so if you were dieting and giving up smoking at the exact same time, you might not see any progress on the scales. You'd just get frustrated and probably end up jacking in both projects.

Choose one or the other and stick to it! When you've established new eating habits and lost weight, you will have the strength and courage to tackle the next issue.

I did it the other way round. I stopped smoking 6 and a half years ago, put on weight, and then got into dieting and sport.

I went up to 75kg, but now weigh 62kg and do sport regularly. I always find the fact that I was able to get rid of this addiction a major source of inspiration.

I would maybe go for quitting the smokes first. You have to eat, but you don't have to smoke. It is such a liberating feeling being rid of this addiction! I can't imagine how I could smoke for so many years and believe I had to!

All the best, whatever addiction you decide to tackle first.

amanda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 17:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Amanda but would also add that which you choose to tackle first may depend on which you are most motivated to achieve at the present; losing weight or quitting smoking.
Both involve a lot of determination and commitment and both involve a long-term change in how you think and act. Both also involve addictive behaviors to a degree.
My advice would be to think about which of the two, weight or smoking, is causing you the greatest problem and tackle that first but when it comes down to it, you're the best judge of which you have the best chance of success at today.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 17:21

Plan: 1972 Atkins
Stats: 234/210/160 Female 5,7"
BF:100 % scary!
Progress: 32%

Me to.

My goal is to quit smoking as well. However, I plan on getting my eating under major control. With that said, quitting smoking is going to be this year sometime. I just can't drop both "vices" at the same time.

I tried to quit smoking a few months ago and I ATE. I didn't know I could actually EAT that much! So, the plan is to get back in control of my eating habits, metabolism, and hunger management before I quit smoking. That way, I won't feel the need to scarf down a bag of twizzlers in one day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 17:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardentluma
Me to.

My goal is to quit smoking as well. However, I plan on getting my eating under major control. With that said, quitting smoking is going to be this year sometime. I just can't drop both "vices" at the same time.

I tried to quit smoking a few months ago and I ATE. I didn't know I could actually EAT that much! So, the plan is to get back in control of my eating habits, metabolism, and hunger management before I quit smoking. That way, I won't feel the need to scarf down a bag of twizzlers in one day.

Well...one of the advantages of low carbing is that you can potentially eat a lot and not gain weight as long as you stick with low carb choices. On the other hand...you may not lose, either.
But it's possible that low carbing and quitting smoking aren't mutually exclusive to one another so when you do choose to quit, that's one way to cope with the urge to eat...indulge it with low carb choices.
Personally, I don't think I would have been able to do both at the same time successfully and from what I've seen, it's a rare individual who can.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 18:05

I quit smoking once before, years ago-more than 11) and did it cold turkey. I guess I would have to say that honestly, I am more concerned about dropping some lbs. first. I figure that I can at least cut back>that will at least help. It took a lot of willpower the first time and with the extra stress I've got going right now, I dont see it happening. I tried taking meds to quit smoking a year ago-they made me ill, so had to stop. I'll get there. I have been smoking since I was 13 (now 35), only stopped when I was preg. with each of my children, then stopped for several years..when my xh walked out 3 years ago, I started up again and just cant seem to stop-its always been a stress thing for me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 05:24

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
I quit smoking once before, years ago-more than 11) and did it cold turkey. I guess I would have to say that honestly, I am more concerned about dropping some lbs. first. I figure that I can at least cut back>that will at least help. It took a lot of willpower the first time and with the extra stress I've got going right now, I dont see it happening. I tried taking meds to quit smoking a year ago-they made me ill, so had to stop. I'll get there. I have been smoking since I was 13 (now 35), only stopped when I was preg. with each of my children, then stopped for several years..when my xh walked out 3 years ago, I started up again and just cant seem to stop-its always been a stress thing for me.

I can recommend the book by Allen Carr, "The only way to stop smoking permanently". That got me off the smokes for good and it didn't take an ounce of willpower to do so!

Mind you, I bought it and didn't read it until it had been sitting on my windowsill looking at me accusingly for 6 months....

From the sounds of it, your main goal at the moment is to slim down for your wedding. Focus on that, try and keep the smoking to a minimum, and then, when you're happily married, losing weight but not on a starvation diet, you'll be able to sit down and read Allen Carr.

Good luck! You can do it! Your biog sounds similar to mine - I smoked from age 16 onwards, stopped for 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding, but got back on the smokes eventually. Gave up when my youngest daughter was one and a half years old. And have never looked back for a minute!

I did it mostly for my kids - they are the best motivators!!!

amanda
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 05:46
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

Ohhhh I can help ya hear, maybe. I started LC in April and knew then I wanted to quit smoking so I gave myself til July to get used to this way of living and eating. I quit smoking on July 7th...I gained 3 lbs back that initial week but as of today I am down that 3+1...hehe Dont think I am doing the non-smoking thing without help, I decided would need some extra support so I am taking Chanix. I am not a pill pusher, but this is amazing. No nicotine withdraws and no moodiness. I do think about smoking alot, but my brain is focused on how I eat more than smoking. So I actually think this way of eating is helping with my quiting. But thats just me. You have to be really ready and really want to quit...I had almost 3 months to get it in my head that I was going to quit and I have =) You have to do whats best for you. Be prepared for a meltdown...LOL I have had one big meltdown during all this, but with some talking to myself and crying for about 30 minutes I worked it all out...LOL Good Luck with whatever you decide.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 12:26

Ok-today is day one. I had my last cig. late last night. I've been married a full month now! Anyway, my dh is the total opp. of me in every way when it comes to my vices..I am trying to quit smoking, he isn't..I am trying to loose weight and need to watch everything I eat or I gain all the time..he is so thin and slim the drs usually tell him for his health he needs to gain 10-15 lbs. He is very slim. So, when I sit there and eat my atkins meal, he's polishing off a bowl of ice cream.

I did well and lost at least a size for the wedding. Felt good..then gained it back and feel horrible. I went to the drs because my dh put me on his insurance. I hadn't been to the drs in over 10 years for a checkup. I have ashma and it is so not undercontrol. I have to use my inhaler over and over every day, out of breath all the time, when I breath there is a rattle in the chest and then I cough. I decided to stop smoking today, made the decision last night and have not had a cig. all day.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 19:43

BF:

mainecyn, I've been where you are. One of my biggest motivations to quit smoking was what it was doing to my ability to breathe. I finally decided that I enjoyed breathing more than I enjoyed smoking.
Then I had a 'eureka!' moment when I was honest enough to admit to myself that the only thing I could honestly say that I liked about smoking was not feeling withdrawal symptoms and that, for me, was a really stupid reason to keep doing something that was making me feel so crappy.
The rest is history. I'm coming up on my 3 year quit anniversary on October 28 and I haven't regretted quitting for a second.

You can do this. You really can do this.

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Oct-14-08 at 20:08. Reason: typo
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 22:23

Stats: 230/175/155 Male 6'1"
BF:31%/18%
Progress: 73%

Happy 3 years today Lisa.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 14:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranimal
Happy 3 years today Lisa.

Thanks!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 14:25
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I quit carbs -- so to speak, then smoking, then coffee...then almost lost my mind, so started coffee again...and am eating too many carbs lately.

SFM I have to pick my battles carefully. If I get too ambitious it all comes crashing down.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/172/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think the key to quitting smoking and dieting at the same time is to keep busy. When I quit smoking I cleaned everything!!! I organized everything as well. While watching tv, keep water next to you w/ a straw or pencil in your hand for that hand to mouth fixation.
Hope that helps! I think quitting smoking is better for your health than a couple of pounds!
Good luck!
~Mrs. T
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 12:22
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default Quitting smoking

Congrats to all who have quit, which ever way you decided to.

I have the Allen Carr book and although he is not with us anymore, he is my God. I was never going to be able to quit. Tried so many times. That man helped me quit drinking and smoking on the same day August 29th, 2007. I had no willpower with that but i do with other things so why this??? I tried before that only to go back the moment I had a drink so I figured get rid of both for good. Not too healthy anyway. But for me they went hand in hand. A nice ice cold beer and a Newport king. Funny to say that now because after more than a year there is nothing that would make me drink or smoke again.

Allen Carr just believes that you don't enjoy smoking at all. He explains why you do NOT enjoy it. You hate the withdrawal from the drug nicotine and when you have a cigarette you don't feel the withdrawal so you put 2 and 2 together and think you like smoking. You don't, you like the feeling of not feeling withdrawal. The book is at Barnes and noble, might even be at the library but it will be the best money I ever spent. It doesn't make you quit, it just explains why you are doing what you are doing in a way you never really thought of. You are the one who does it. Oh, and he says keep smoking while reading book. You will have your last cigarette with him at the end of the book.

Funny when I quit I had 4 cartons left that I bought duty free while on vacation and I just gave them away. But it wasn't 80 bucks down the drain, I must have saved a bunch in a year and 3 months. They went to 10 bucks a pack in Chicago. UGH. Plus standing outside in the winter just to smoke. Glad I gave it up before that law came here.

Good luck to all smokers who want to quit. If I can, anyone can. Seriously not a lot of willpower. That's why I like this diet. I'm not hungry like every other one. I did have a few times I maybe thought I wanted one after I quit but it comes in "WAVES" and then do something else and it's gone.

Lisa