Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I remember Dr. Oz (not a fan btw) saying high cholesterol without high blood pressure isn't doing damage. Is your blood pressure ok? Do you have a family history of high cholesterol?

Can a heart scan show if you have an actual blockage, better than these cholesterol tests?

I'm totally on the fence about cholesterol drugs, hope I never have to make the decision.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 146/134/134 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can see Dr Oz's point: excess pressure causes fissures in the artery which require cholesterol to patch up. There are other theories about the causes of atherosclerosis, such as oxidation, inflammation, infection.

Blood pressure has come down a lot in recent months to an average of 125/75, often as low as 115/65.

My mother has high cholesterol. But not at the level I have had over the last few months.

Actually I had a cardio angiogram in March last year after an exercise stress test raised a red flag. (Where they stick a catheter into the heart through the artery at your pelvis, inject a dye and x-ray the heart artery.) It showed a tiny amount of plaque in two places - nothing that could be called a blockage. I read that it takes years or decades for plaque to build up. So I am not in any immediate danger. All the more reason for careful consideration.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 07:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory b
Nancy that's great news. What were you doing before you took T3? Why did you decide to make the change?
I was using Amour thyroid (porcine thyroid).
Quote:
i. I have plenty of T4
ii. I have low T3
iii. There is no reason to have high T4 and low T3 except for the presence of high rT3.
Therefore "you do have an rT3 issue."

Very interesting!

I just had an extensive genetic test done which shows I have two genes for high Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG).
Quote:
Conditions with high or low levels

Conditions with low SHBG include polycystic ovary syndrome, diabetes, and hypothyroidism. Conditions with high SHBG include pregnancy, hyperthyroidism, and anorexia nervosa. There has recently been research to link high SHBG levels with breast and testicular cancer as well.

Ugh on the breast cancer.

I don't know if I've been tested for it directly, just did an exhaustive genetic test through 23andMe and found I have two copies of the gene for it.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 04:16
Registered Member

BF:

Nancy,

The most I would take from the 'disposition to breast cancer' is a red flag to take the issue seriously and get tested regularly.

Did you do the $99 saliva test?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 08:09
Experimenter

BF:

I had other genetics that lowered my risk.

Yes, I did the $99 test. It's $9 a month for 12 months after that though.

I did find one risk I need to really be careful of. I have a gene which 34/100 women end up with thrombosis! That's good to know!

I just thought the SHBG was interesting because I had graves disease.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:

The monthly subscription tied sale is a bit cheeky. I can't imagine much is going to develop month by month. But who knows? Keep us informed. It's a very interesting development.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 09:10
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory b
The monthly subscription tied sale is a bit cheeky. I can't imagine much is going to develop month by month. But who knows? Keep us informed. It's a very interesting development.

It IS cheeky. I didn't quite realize it when I signed up. For what it's worth, when I was waiting for my results they did send email a couple of times that they had new genetic results for the example person.

There's also a program you can run on the raw data (which you can download). It's called prometease. It compiles an every bigger, more exhaustive, report than the 23andMe one does.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease