Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 17:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/205/180 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Thumbs down Am I diabetic?????? What the hell is wrong with me???

I feel so damn trapped .

I can't even manage to eat vegetables or proteins freely or i get INTENSE hunger. I find myself living off oils and supplements scared to put anything that would up my blood sugar levels in the slightest.

I just got the full on fasted state blood tests today but I'm REALLY feeling helpless. I have no clue what to do.

Can anyone recomend me a diet that will at least bring me some peace while I'm waiting these test results out .

I wanna die :*^(
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 17:39
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%

Hey there BD

What are you eating really, just the supplements? And when you get the hunger how much have you eaten. You're stats show you at almost goal weight, are you eating enough? I can't really help you with the diabetic question but you just sound so desperate I feel bad for you. Are you still doing the CKD plan?

Why don't you just eat regular LC while waiting for you results, how long would that be? a week or 10 days. What were you eating till now?.

Hang in.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 17:45

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

can you describe any other symptoms? do you take chromium supplements, or rather, i should ask what is it that you are taking?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 18:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

BD, it can be scary waiting for test results and imagining the worst.
First things first, though. How about some average menus of what you have been eating and we'll go from there?
Normal servings of meat and low glycemic vegetables shouldn't do you any harm, so please don't be afraid to eat. Stay away from sugar, refined flour, and high glycemic foods like potatoes, rice, bread, etc...
Could it be that you are feeling intense hunger becuase you're not eating enough and are really hungry? I imagine I'd be pretty hungry if I was living on nothing but fats, oils and supplements.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. B's 6-12-12
Stats: 275/228/185 Male 70.5 inches
BF:N/A
Progress: 52%

I'd just eat a lot of fish, fowl and meat...along with green and/or leafy vegetables. The protein in combo with the lower GI carb intake should take your hunger away. I typically eat ham n' cheese rollups for breakfast with a half cup of strawberries...tuna or maybe a hamburger patty with a can of green beans for lunch...and maybe baked chicken with asparagas for supper. That and a lot of water might make you feel better. It's certainly a diet that any diabetic, or not, can get along with.

Good Luck...!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 08:08

BF:

I've been eating Idels sausages here and there which don't bother my system, but all I really want to eat is lettuce/veggies/chicken/turkey meat and swear on my life lettuce seems to cause my body problems!!

For every serving of Broccoli I have I need at least one tbls of oil.

The hunger comes from not having the right amount of fats, but the balancing act is what's really driving me up the wall, if the balance is not there within minutes my heart is racing and I get very grouchy.

Low fat causes me hypoglycimic episodes (have trouble talking, sweat like a beast, shake, blured vission) and I just hate getting those episodes. What's lame is that I'm only twenty and for the past 4 years I've been trying to deal with this on my own with a private doctor who got me nowhere.

I'm not afraid of having something wrong in the test results, I'm just afraid Kaiser will tell me nothing is wrong with me and send me to an assh*t nutritionist who follows the food pyramid.

I'll just be sure and keep my serving portions of protein and veggies small and split them up throughout the day. Any advice you can give me on making sure the doctors look at every possible issue my problem could be?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 08:31
Registered Member

Stats: 261/200/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 71%

BD, I guess you don't have the results back so you aren't sure if you are diabetic? The Atkins Diet is ideal for a diabetic. (I believe I have seen a Atkins book specifically for diabetics as well). If you are diabetic and need insulyn my I suggest you talk with you Doctor about the insulyn pump. My best friend had trouble with pills and individual shots but once he got on the pump (a couple of years now) he lives a virtually normal life and really has very little problem with maintaining his blood sugars and eat almost anything he wants.
As I understand it NOT eating anything can be as much of a problem as eating the wrong things. I know it can be scarry but after the initial shock my friends with diabeties, following the doctors orders, mange very well.
Good luck to you. We are all pulling for you.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 12:20

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:

I take CLA (conjugated linoleic acid.) It's something that used to be in our meats but stopped being there when animals weren't grazed any more.

I understand your panic. I thought of CLA because it has done very well for me balancing my blood sugar, (not diabetic but do have blood sugar issues,) controlling my hunger and balancing my metabolism.

It is also supposed to calm the immune system and help one lose weight. I love its effects...it can't hurt!

Last edited by adkpam : Fri, Aug-27-04 at 12:21. Reason: typo
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
I take CLA (conjugated linoleic acid.) It's something that used to be in our meats but stopped being there when animals weren't grazed any more.

I understand your panic. I thought of CLA because it has done very well for me balancing my blood sugar, (not diabetic but do have blood sugar issues,) controlling my hunger and balancing my metabolism.

It is also supposed to calm the immune system and help one lose weight. I love its effects...it can't hurt!

One of the tools I used for weight loss, I found it's tendancy to increase insulin resistance a real problem in any dose that would make it useful to the body. Headaches, pain behind the eyes, upset stomach. Just not worth it.

I'm not scared about there actually being something wrong Magicbyrd. I'm more in the moment of knowing something's wrong and dreading the process of figuring out what's up if diabetes is not the case. Doctors can really give you the run around and I don't want to get the "it's all in your head" diagnosis.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:27

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 175/134/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Suggestions

Hi BD,

I hope that you are doing a little better. I can sympathize with your anxiety. It may help to try to relax and get your stress level down with exercise or meditation since stress also affects your BG.

A few questions - what kind of tests are you waiting for? When is your appointment with your doctor? Are you monitoring your glucose levels?

If you want to get an answer right away, you can go to your drugstore like Walgreens and get an A1C exam that will give you immediate results. It may be worth the peace of mind...

Otherwise, you can get an inexpensive glucose monitor and test the effect of different foods on your BG.

I have read somewhere that cooking vegetables increases their glycemic value (think caramelized onions) so unless you are totally against raw vegetables, maybe you can steam them for a short time. You can also try adding flaxseed to your vegetables to increase the fiber content as an alternative to using oil. Also, vegetables that are not-so-ripe have a lower glycemic content.

Also, try the lower carb vegetables to get your "fix" like alfalfa sprouts, cabbage, celery, cucumber, boston lettuce, radishes, and spinach.

Let us know how you are coping. Hope this helps.

Patty
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 16:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The hunger comes from not having the right amount of fats, but the balancing act is what's really driving me up the wall, if the balance is not there within minutes my heart is racing and I get very grouchy.

BD, this sounds to me more like reactive hypoglycemia than high blood sugar. The treatment for hypoglycemia is low carb as well, though.
Is it just lettuce that causes you a problem or do other high fiber veggies affect you this way also?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 22:19

Plan: Somers
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default BD's symptoms

BD,
I'd like to second what Lisa said, about reactive hypoglycemia, though it wasn't the fats thing that alerted me but your other symptoms. If it helps you any, I too react to seemingly carbless foods like you do...now, I want to ask you, are you underweight or exercising? Are you undereating and avoiding food because of the way it makes you 'feel"? Are you having thoughts about feeling too fat (when other people clearly say you are not?). How long has al this been going on? Please relax about what's going on...the anxiety and waiting is the worst, I know. I too am waiting to go the clinic and get things sorted out. I know I have hypo, because of the symptoms, though diabetes isn't far from my mind. Someone here suggested a blood glucose monitor to test yourself. That's an idea, except they can be really off with their readings. For instance, I've had one a few days, and I can take a reading and it can differ by as much as 13 points in the space of 2 minutes! So...if you do try it, bear in mind they aren't all that reliable until you've got them practiced. You might want to find out more about reactive hypoglycemia. Also, are there other things going on in your life which are stressign you? I wonder if there are things in your life and its coming out in your relationship to food. If you wish, you may email me privately.
CW