Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 20:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Breakfast Eaters Tend to [be] Lean?

Quote:
... the study also shows that as breakfast calories increase, so do calories and fat for the entire day - and average intake of nutrients (including calcium ...But the study also shows that as breakfast calories increase, so do calories and fat for the entire day - and average intake of nutrients (including calcium and certain vitamins) falls.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008...in4584178.shtml

OK, well I think breakfast is the most unimportant meal of the day-- maybe that's why I often skip it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 21:40

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
OK, well I think breakfast is the most unimportant meal of the day-- maybe that's why I often skip it?

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To examine breakfast consumption in subjects maintaining a weight loss in the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR).

RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: A cross-sectional study in which 2959 subjects in the NWCR completed demographic and weight history questionnaires as well as questions about their current breakfast consumption. All subjects had maintained a weight loss of at least 13.6 kg (30 lb) for at least 1 year; on average these subjects had lost 32 kg and kept it off for 6 years.

RESULTS: A large proportion of NWCR subjects (2313 or 78%) reported regularly eating breakfast every day of the week. Only 114 subjects (4%) reported never eating breakfast. There was no difference in reported energy intake between breakfast eaters and non-eaters, but breakfast eaters reported slightly more physical activity than non-breakfast eaters (p = 0.05).

DISCUSSION: Eating breakfast is a characteristic common to successful weight loss maintainers and may be a factor in their success.

PMID: 11836452 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mike, it seems like you’re in the minority (4%). However, we're all different so if it works for you, then Great!

I’m a maintainer and only have two meals a day. Breakfast by far is my most important meal. It consists of two omega 3 eggs, 4 oz of mushrooms and 4 oz of 50% reduced fat corned beef hash. Just mixed together and scrambled in coconut oil. It’s always the same and hasn’t changed in years.

Love my breakfast!

Bo
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 22:30

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Breakfast used to consist of some kind of animal flesh. Now it consists of some kind of carbohydrate. I'll say that those who still eat the meaty breakfast have more success at maintaining their weight than those who continue to eat a carby breakfast. And I'll say that those who used to eat a carby breakfast but eat nothing for breakfast anymore have more success than those who continue to eat a carby breakfast.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 03:10

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I wonder if this is effect (or merely correlation) rather than cause. High blood sugar in the morning means not feeling hungry, leading to more likelihood of skipping breakfast ...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 03:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

The link BoBoguy provided was to early research.

This appears to be the new paper.
Association of breakfast energy density with diet quality and body mass index in American adults: is a rehash and updating of the previous research.
Background:Recent reports suggest that dietary energy density (ED) is associated with diet quality, energy intake, and body weight. Breakfast consumption was also associated with diet quality and body weight; however, little is known about the association of breakfast consumption with dietary ED.

Objectives:We examined differences in the ED (in energy content/g of food) of diets between breakfast consumers and nonconsumers, and in breakfast reporters we examined the association of ED of breakfast foods with ED of nonbreakfast foods, diet quality, and body mass index (BMI; in kg/m2).

Design:We combined dietary data from the 3 continuous National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (1999–2004) to determine the ED (in kcal/g) of foods and nutritive beverages and the ED of foods only (n = 12 316; 20 y). Linear and logistic regression methods were used to examine the independent associations of breakfast reporting or breakfast ED with 24-h ED, nonbreakfast ED, diet quality, and BMI.

Results:The ED of 24-h dietary intake was lower among breakfast reporters than among nonreporters. Women breakfast reporters (but not men) had lower BMI than did nonreporters (27.9 ± 0.2 compared with 29.4 ± 0.4; P = 0.001). With increasing breakfast ED, nonbreakfast ED and fat intake increased, but micronutrient intake and the likelihood of mention of all 5 food groups declined. BMI increased with increasing breakfast ED in men but with increasing nonbreakfast ED in women (P 0.001).

Conclusions:Our results support recommendations to encourage breakfast consumption and suggest that the ED of breakfast was associated with diet quality, overall diet ED, and body weight.

I think this kind of research points out the problems with nutritional reasearch Gary Taubes has detailed in his book GCBC.
Just look at the sponsors
AKK was partially supported by a research grant from the Breakfast Research Institute. The Breakfast Research Institute is sponsored by Quaker and Tropicana, manufacturers of commonly consumed breakfast foods and beverages. MBA is employed by Quaker-Tropicana-Gatorade, a division of PepsiCo, that manufactures a number of foods and beverages typically consumed at breakfast. TJA had no personal or financial conflict of interest. JMR has received consulting fees and research grants from Quaker and Tropicana, sponsors of the Breakfast Research Institute. Dr. Rippe's research organization, Rippe Lifestyle Institute, manages the Breakfast Research Institute on behalf of Quaker and Tropicana.

Given that list of sponsors and look at the conclusions I'm sure you'll agree "They would say that wouldn't they"

The report shows that in men Body Mass Index increased with increasing Energy Density of breakfast foods and nutritive beverages But while that may apply to those eating "normal" energy dense breakfasts I don't think we here would necessarily agree that it applies to those eating a low carb type of breakfast.

But the statement food selection at breakfast may affect physiologic or psychological factors or both involved with subsequent eating events in the day. is I think significant.

In my experience eating a low carbohydrate breakfast means I am no longer craving for a snack mid morning, and avoiding refined carbs or sources of high fructose through the day does significantly affect my food choices through the day and because I no longer think about food all the time I can choose to eat or not rather than for ever having the feeling I must have something to eat right now.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Groves strongly advocates a large meat and fat based breakfast, a moderate lunch and little more than a snack for dinner. It keeps hunger levels down throughout the day.

I rarely do this, but when I do eat a large breakfast I note that I eat less overall. Quite a bit less.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 10:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I like eating breakfast. I have some meat and eggs every morning.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 10:25

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

I like the Warrior Diet.

I eat no breakfast but I do eat raw low calorie plant life during the day.. I thought I would share my favorite that my beautiful wife introduced me to:

2 Cucumbers peeled and sliced
1 lime/lemon (Squeezed)
1 pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne

OMFG!!! Most addicting thing I ever ate and only 50 calories!!!

I also take in an apple or celery. During the day I am more alert than ever and then at night I eat a satisfying large meal of pork, steak, fish or poultry with a HUGE helping of cooked veggies.

I go to bed satisfied and my caloric intake for the total day is below maintenance. I am losing 2 pounds per week so far its been pretty wonderful.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/228/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Today's brekkie consisted of a chicken leg and a couple of eggs. During the week I have to eat breakfast or I'm an evil biotch by 09:00 (I get up at 05:45). On the weekends I can stretch it though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 11:22
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I find I can train my appetite. When I was following the "rules", I ate breakfast because I was supposed to. Eventually, I came to need it each morning. Once I tried IF, I found after a while, I no longer woke up hungry and needing to eat. I retrained my appetite to wait. Now that I don't do IF regularly, I still haven't gone back to eating breakfast all the time, I didn't want to retrain myself to eat just for the sake of eating. Generally, I listen to my body and if I'm hungry, I eat, and if I'm not, I wait until lunch.

I find the NWCR stuff interesting, but I don't put too much stock in it, really. It's a self-selecting, self-reporting bunch of data points with a specific set of guidelines to get in. People that don't fit the mold don't want to participate or don't get in. I bet there are lots of successful maintainers that don't follow the NWCR standards for success.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 07:06

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinsdad
I like the Warrior Diet.

I eat no breakfast but I do eat raw low calorie plant life during the day.. I thought I would share my favorite that my beautiful wife introduced me to:

2 Cucumbers peeled and sliced
1 lime/lemon (Squeezed)
1 pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne

OMFG!!! Most addicting thing I ever ate and only 50 calories!!!

I also take in an apple or celery. During the day I am more alert than ever and then at night I eat a satisfying large meal of pork, steak, fish or poultry with a HUGE helping of cooked veggies.

I go to bed satisfied and my caloric intake for the total day is below maintenance. I am losing 2 pounds per week so far its been pretty wonderful.

a cucumber would fill me up for about 5 minutes. an apple? 30 seconds

I can't eat that much plant life without getting the hungries, but its great that it works for you