Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 15:12
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Coke shaken by low-carb failure

Coke shaken by low-carb failure

David Teather in New York
Friday January 7, 2005
The Guardian

Coca-Cola is restructuring its North American division as part of an attempt by the struggling soft drinks maker to pull itself out of a long slump.

The firm is parting company with Javier Benito, its chief marketing officer and head of retail in its most important market. Mr Benito had been with Coca-Cola for 10 years.

Analysts said he was probably paying the price for the disastrous US launch of C2, a mid-calorie, low carbohydrate version of the core brand.

In November, Coca-Cola sharply cut its long-term profit and sales targets, acknowledging there would be no quick fix for its problems.

Chief executive Neville Isdell, who took the top job last May, admitted then Coca-Cola had failed to respond to consumer trends. Arch-rival PepsiCo has been more adept.

It has the number one bottled water brand in the US, Aquafina, and the top energy drink, Gatorade.

Coca-Cola plans to spend an additional $350m (£187m) to $400m on marketing annually from next year, with most of it directed toward its core brand. It does not publish the level of its total budget. "We can't save our way to prosperity, we have to grow our way to prosperity," Mr Isdell said.

The firm said at the time there had been "too little attention paid to brand-building, iconic advertising". C2 has proven to be a particular disappointment for Coca-Cola, posting poor sales. The company priced the soft drink at a premium to regular Coke and the higher cost proved an obstacle for consumers. It also launched the brand just as the low-carbohydrate diet phenomenon was waning.

Hindered by C2's poor performance, Coca-Cola reported a 3% drop in volume sales in North America during the third quarter, which covers the key summer season. The company said Mr Benito's role would be split into two jobs in an effort to make it more competitive in North America. His marketing role will be taken by John Hackett, who becomes senior vice-president for North American marketing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/...1384934,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 15:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A big giant raspberry. Didn't we tell you so? Sheesh! You really should listen to us.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 16:05

Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

Can they really be so stupid?
" It also launched the brand just as the low-carbohydrate diet phenomenon was waning."

The most obvious thing is that low-carbers weren't drinking full sugar coke and looking for less. They were drinking diet coke and wouldn't consider drinking more sugar. amazing...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 16:25

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Poor Coke. Had they read even a single low carb diet book they would have found out we didn't want less sugar, we wanted no-sugar. Hmmm.... isn't that diet coke?????

In my opinion they could not advertise for an entire year I doubt they would see a drop in sales at all. I know so many people who are addicted to coke both diet and regular!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 17:38

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

This restored my faith in the general public... The fact that it wasn't a hit just because it had low-carb on the label means that people read the nutritional info and realized it was just silly.

Maybe there is hope yet.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 19:09
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

If they'd *really* been listening, they would have replaced aspartame in Diet Coke with Splenda... now *that's* a good idea for Coca Cola. Wow, all that, and I don't have the $250,000 salary. Sheesh!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 20:18

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Complete idiots!!! You all have said it so clearly. Why would we LCers go BACK to carbs when diet cola (and generic is just as good) has no carbs.

Agreed that RC cola with Splenda is the best idea IF you can get it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 20:25
Registered Member

Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Splenda instead of aspartame? Now why would a soda manufacturer want to do that? Maybe they should have hired the CEO of Diet Rite
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 21:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Poor Coke. Had they read even a single low carb diet book they would have found out we didn't want less sugar, we wanted no-sugar. Hmmm.... isn't that diet coke?????

This is exactly what my reaction was when I first heard about the "new" low carb Coke (C2). I said, "Diet Coke is already low carb. Why not just emphasize that instead of spending all that money on a new product?"
Whoever came up with the idea of marketing a product to low carbers that still has the amount of sugar in it that C2 does, deserves to be seeking other employment; it was a hare-brained idea from the get-go and had they done any research into low carbing, they would have known that it wouldn't be a best-seller. Even for those on maintainence, it doesn't really fit with the philosophy of low carbing.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 23:17

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I wonder if the Pepsi Edge was also a disaster. It ought to have been. Everyone I know who actually low carbs took one look at C2 and Edge, shrugged, and bought diet soda.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 288/257/159 Male 174 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

They sell C2 here in Japan, but I never tried after after looking at the carbs in it. Like all of you I was wondering "what were they thinking?"

The diet coke sold here is made with BOTH aspartame and sucralose. Is that the same as there?

doug
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 07:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The diet coke sold here is made with BOTH aspartame and sucralose. Is that the same as there?

Nope. Diet Coke sold in the United States has only Aspartame.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 08:48

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I know that for example the Diet Coke formula they sell in Europe tastes a lot better than the one here in America. I remember that when I worked for Coke in Italy they brought it to me and I said, WOW, this tastes really good, how come they don't sell this formula in America? They did not have an answer for me and I still don't know why? But that diet coke is the best I have ever had.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 13:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:

That's interesting - here in Canada, Diet Coke and most other diet drinks are sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame-potassium.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 288/257/159 Male 174 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

The diet coke here tastes pretty good with the aspartame/sucralose mix.

doug