Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 23:47
Registered Member

Plan: Modified
Stats: 340/311/260 Male 6'5''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Day 29 almost over!

Well today marks the 29th day that I have not had a cigarette. I started on the step one of the patch (for two weeks) and am now on step two for the rest of this week (3 weeks in total) then I am going down to step one for two weeks.

There have definately been ups and downs but I am surviving. I am very happy that I made the decesion to quit as my wife and I are expecting our first child in May of this year.

the biggest thing that I have learned by quitting is to deal with stresses in life more proactively than having a smoke. It seems that I am always looking for ways to solve my uneasy feelings instead of trying to smoke them away.

I still am definatley in the battle but things are going pretty good and I can see the light at the end of the smokey tunnel.

I never though I could do it but I did.... I know that anyone can do it!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

Congratulations, CK!!

You are doing GREAT - what a gift you're giving to yourself, your wife and soon-to-arrive-baby.

That's an interesting realization you had about dealing with stress. I'm sure it was true for me as well - and I think nicotine dependence compounded the stress level, making me need cigarettes to deal with ordinary situations.

I started about the same time you did - did Step 2 patches for 4 weeks, and just went to Step 1 two days ago. I'm going to stay on it for 4 weeks. I KNOW if I go patch-free sooner, I'll be in trouble.

It feels wonderful to be smoke-free (I've smoked off-and-on, mostly on, for over 30 years) - wish I'd done this YEARS ago.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I keep the lowest nic level gum on hand for the occasional intense craving. In the beginning I was chewing a couple a day, now it's maybe 1 or 2 a week.

Good luck to you - Hang in there, cause this is tough. But every day you're healthier, you smell better, and one day closer to holding that baby in your arms!

Pat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Modified
Stats: 340/311/260 Male 6'5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

When I started the patch I would use the 2mg nic gum for times when things got too intense. I would have a piece every day for the first few days and then one evry couple of days and then would go without. When I moved down to step two I did the same thing. I have not had the gum for a while but decided to stay on step two a week longer than I originally thought that I would. On Friday, I am moving to step three and will probably use the gum a little once again.

I am a little nervous about moving down another step. The past few days have been the toughest for me. I don't know why but that has definately been the case. I am looking foreward to being off the patch all together and think that sometimes the patch makes it tougher by giving you a big hit of nicotine in the morning and then fading away throughout the day.

Anyways, thanks for listening and lets all Keep the Quit!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 17:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

good for you! I am on day 29 as well!! We must have both quit the same day. I am just doing the gum, I chew anywhere from 1-4 pieces a day. I am really starting to feel better. The only thing I am frustrated with is my weight loss has been non-existant since I quit. Did it cause a stall for you?