Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Registered Member
I Did It!
Posted by leighamaw
Posted Fri, Oct-25-02
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/154/145
BF:41.56/28.7/26
Progress: 88%
Talking I Did It!

I did it. I reached my goal weight of 160 pounds! I have lost 61 pounds in a little less than 10 months.

I woke up the day after Christmas 2001, just sick of myself. I had made Christmas candy, Christmas cookies, pies, cakes, etc., for stocking stuffers and gifts. I ate them all. No gifts. No stocking stuffers. Gone in one big feeding frenzy. I think I know how a crack addict would feel after going on a bender. Sugar is like crack cocaine to me. Anyway, got the courage to step on the scales that day. Boy, was I shocked to see 221 pounds. I decided then and there to try to do something about my out of control eating and spiraling weight. My husband decided to jump on the bandwagon with me.

I chose the Atkins plan. My husband chose Sugar Busters. To make a long story short. I have reached my goal weight of 160 and my husband is 20 pounds short of his goal after a loss of 60 pounds. My cholesterol has gone from 293 to 203. My husband no longer has life threatening sleep apnea and has nearly done away with his high blood pressure medication. His doctor is astounded.

Were there some bumps in the road? Sure. I fell off the wagon a few times and even had some "scheduled" cheats...like for our anniversary. But the secret was to get right back in the saddle. Also, and I know Dr. Atkins advises against this, I weigh myself every single morning without fail. This might not work for some but it worked for me. Since I have issues with food, my stepping on that scale was like going to a daily AA meeting...."Hello scale...my name is Cathy and I am a sugar addict." Knowing I had to step on that scale kept me from binging at a weak moment.

Now, ten months and 61 pounds gone, I am assessing myself. I had originally set a goal at 160, never imagining that I would make it. But a funny thing happened along the way. I found that I enjoyed weight lifting. And I now like to walk. ALOT! Who would have thought that this certified couch potato would get into exercise? Now I see that I don't have to stop at 160. I am going to continue eating low carb (is there any other way?) and going about my weight lifting/walking regimine and see where it takes me. Could be that 160 is the right weight for me. Or maybe 145...or 150. I will let my body decide.

Thank you Dr. Atkins. For showing me that I don't have to starve myself to lose weight and be healthy. For showing me a way of eating that I can stick with for the rest of my life and stay healthy.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by agonycat on Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:05

WOOHOO!!!

You go girl! Major pat on the back for you! I am so happy for you and your spouse on losing so much weight.

I too have become an exercise junky

12 comments [read all comments]

Article tools