Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 21:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 315.5/189.8/170 Female 5 ft  8.5 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Cool Newbie

I just found this site, and I am excited about networking with other people who have been successful with TSP. I have been overweight all my life and have tried just about everything there is out there to change that. I also have DJD, and I am recently out on medical leave from my job as an OR nurse for back pain. It is necessary that I get serious about a more healthy WOL or I fear I may never work again. I have been reading everything I can find about TSP and have ordered her books, but they have not arrived as yet. I would welcome any tips anyone could give me about learning this WOE.

Thanks!
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 21:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Linda, and welcome to a great forum!

I'm not doing Schwarzbein, I'm on Atkins, but I can still welcome you to the wonderful world of low carbing.
And, as a fellow back sufferer (ICU nurse!) I offer you my warmest empathy! (What is DJD?)

A couple of suggestions...

Have a good sticky beak around the place. The orange bar at the top has a lot of very useful stuff - particularly Low Carb Tips.
Then do check Hot Links in the Newbies' Questions. Lots and lots of old threads where people have asked (and received answers to) interesting questions.

I would also suggest that you start up a journal here. It's a good way to not only keep track of food etc, but also a good way to make friends and "receive" visitors.
Feel free to drop into others' journals and have a look see. The door to my journal is always open!

All the best for your low carb journey, Linda!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 22:58

BF:

WOW! Thanks for such a speedy welcome, Rosebud. I have been cruising the site exploring every nook and cranny as you suggested. There is just so much stuff to check out, I fear I might miss something! I was also going to try to put a photo with my post, but couldn't get it to work. I wonder if my pixels and bytes are too excessive???

Anyway, I have also tried Atkins in the past, and many people I know have been successful with it, but it is too restrictive for me. I would agree that eating all that protein and fats certainly curbs the appetite, but the craving for more veggies and fruits just drove me wild. That is why I think TSP might possibly be my best bet. I didn't even know about it until I read about it in a women's magazine a week or so ago, but the information presented was just enough to get me motivated to check it out further. I am 54 years old, and certainly not getting any younger. I'm sorry, I forget that some abbreviations don't mean a thing to others.....DJD is Degenerative Joint Disease......Degenerative arthritis plagues everyone in my family....my 82 year old mother has bilateral total knees, and I'm afraid that's where I'm headed also, the way I am going! And with several degenerative disc spaces in my back along with some degree of herniation, you'd think that I would have been able to do something about my weight years ago. I even had a stomach stapling about 20 years ago. I lost 80 pounds, but over the years, I gained it all back, plus some. I have lost significant weight with Nutri-system and Weight Watchers also, but obviously, I did not change my way of eating for life. I try no to think about what a failure I have been in the weight loss department! I have never done anything like this before......(subscribing to a forum)......"spilling my guts" out in black and white hopefully will be "cleansing" and inspiring!

Linda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 00:35
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi again, Linda!

I think some abbreviations just don't travel over oceans!
For example, I know blood sugar levels as BSLs and it seems from what I read here that North Americans refer to BG (blood glucose).
That's a long winded way of saying I also empathise with you about the joint pains. I have significant OA which makes life a little, um, testing at times! (And I'm nearly as old as you, although I only admit to being 39 - with some experience! )
What do you take for your DJD? I have found that I get way too much fluid retention with NSAIDs, but sometimes they are a necessity. Fish oil capsules help greatly. Just at the moment I'm on a course of steroids for my asthma - tada! - very little joint pain!

I'm on Atkins 'cos it was the only one I knew about when I started. As you'll see from my stats, I'm moving downwards very slowly, but I AM moving and that's what matters to me.

You'll find info about the picture posting thing (I presume you mean of yourself?) in the "Comments Box and Technical Questions" section.

Cheers matey.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 14:04

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Smile Welcome Linda!

Linda,

I am also a nurse - I work CCU when I'm not being a stay-at-home mom. Really makes me cringe when I see what the hospital calls a "heart-healthy" or diabetic diet. No wonder these poor patients stay sick! This diet just falls into place as you practice it and read the book a few times. Read over other people's journals to get an idea of what to eat in a day. Good luck!

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 16:06

BF:

Roz,

Hey, thanks for mentioning fish oil capsules......I've always known that fish oil was rich in the omega 3 essential fatty acids, but I associated it with being a heart healthy thing and I hadn't thought about it as being a Rx to promote healthy joints and their mobility. Plus I guess I didn't know that they came in capsule form........ .My mother always used to tell me about her mother making her take cod liver oil, which sounds totally disgusting to me! I've never liked liquid forms of anything medicinal, so I've always steered clear of those kinds of things. I have been stuck in the OR for 32 years now, and sometimes it takes forever to "see the light", if you know what I mean! I am only recently exploring bits of holistic medicine, due to one of my dear friends' bout with breast cancer this year. Janice is into acupunture, and all that Chinese herbal stuff, too. Anyway, I will definitely look for fish oil capsules when I go shopping this week.

I take Diclofenac (Voltaren) for my arthritis. If I don't take it, I really, really hurt. I've been thinking that lately perhaps it isn't working as well as it was in the beginning, so maybe if I start taking fish oil, it will step in and help also. How long have you taken it and how long does it take to notice a difference?

It's funny, I have never associated fluid retention with NSAIDS, but that could be because I take Lasix for my hypertension. I guess the fish oil might help that, too! Of course, we both know that dropping at least 100 lbs. would probably help both problems! ! I'm hoping for an epidural steroid injection in about a week.....that's a soon as I could get in to see someone at the spine center. Steroids are wonderful in that respect.....Before I started taking allergy shots, I previously had to get an injection of Decadron to clear my sinuses....I always loved the way my joints felt afterwards! Do you have frequent asthma attacks? I hope you are feeling better now.

I guess I got off on a tangent there.....I know I only started TSP yesterday...but I did lose 3 pounds,....I like the way this site calculates that you are a % away from your goal. I see that you are 36 % away from your goal! That's great! I know we all would prefer to blink our eyes and all the weight would be gone, but taking it off slowly is the best they say. I just get so impatient sometimes, and get discouraged when I hit a plateau. But I keep telling myself that this time it will be different. I'm going to put my husband on TSP too, when he gets back in the country...he's been on a business trip for over a month!.......coming home this weekend!

Thanks a lot for all the info you have given me already, Roz. I hope being able to talk about all this stuff keeps me legal for a long time!

Linda
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 18:57

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Linda and welcome to the board. Just wanted to translate my antipodean friend's version of English in case you didn't know that "sticky beak" means 'take a peek'. Roz is one of our resident poets.

You're not a failure if you're still trying to lose weight. Maybe you've finally hit on a Way of Eating (WOE) that you can stay with for the rest of your life. And that means you won't regain when you lose this time.

I have had traumatic osteo that gave me bilateral hip replacements. Before the ops, I was on Vioxx and found GREAT relief from it. It's a COX-2 Inhibitor but Roz found that she had a lot of water retention on it.

You've done a great thing by coming here and starting SP. Sure wish you much success as you continue.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 19:03

BF:

Jenn,

Thanks for the encouragement and best wishes! WOW!...... The first two people to reply to my post were nurses....... You know, I guess it makes sense that some of us nurses are in the shape we're in......we've been taking care of our families and everybody else for so long and not taking good enough care of ourselves. That's pretty much true in my case, anyway. I've given the best years of my life to healthcare, and now my health is being threatened because I neglected myself. But I feel like I'm finally on the right track.

Looks like you are at goal....you should be proud of yourself! It'll be a long, long time before I can say that, though. It's nice to hear from others who have fought the battle and won!

Linda
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:12

BF:

Hi, Barb!
Thanks for stopping by and for your words of encouragement! Today is day 3 for me, and I think it's going well so far. Dinner last night was a salad with 1/4 head of lettuce, celery, a few slivers of onion, cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, 2 hard boiled eggs, and some leftover stir-fried pork from the day before. I made a dressing with olive oil & vinegar with a touch of fresh garlic, parsley, mint, salt & pepper, which was fabulous! (Fresh herbs makes all the difference in the world!) Also had watermelon for "dessert", and I was stuffed! I actually felt guilty for feeling that way!

Are you doing well with your bilateral total hip replacements? Do you still have to take Vioxx for other joint pain? I've been off work one week now with this back pain and so far it doesn't seen that it is getting any better. I just wish I had been able to find the motivation to do maintain this WOE much earlier in my life!

Linda
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 18:22
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Linda,

Um, I haven't seen that journal of yours, yet! (Shh Rozzie, don't nag the girl - you don't want to frighten her off!)
I really, really do recommend journalling though.
Just go to the My Journal/Bootcamp section. They are kept in order of username, so you would go to the Journals M to Q bit. Just hit "New Thread" and your journalling life will begin.

I found a difference within a few days of using the fish oil. That was with my joints, rather than the back pain. In fact to my disappointment, the prednisone has done nothing at all for my back this week.
Normally my asthma is very well controlled on inhaled steroids, This is the first time in 2½ years I've needed a course of the steroids so I'm a bit disappointed. I had a nasty chest infection and Mr Asthma decided he just didn't want to play anymore! I'm all but better now. Am even going to work this afternoon. Not particularly looking forward to it, backwise, but I've loaded up on ibuprofen this morning and will keep it up for the next day or two.

That reminds me. Is your doctor supporting you in this WOE?
The reason I ask is the Lasix. It is common to have quite a diuresis in the first week or so of any low carb WOE and you may need to tweak your diuretic use a bit. And you will almost certainly need extra potassium, too. The good Dr A says to undertake low carbing only under the care of a doctor if you use diuretics.
Just a little reminder, although being a nurse you've probably got it all under control.

Cheers, Linda, stay happy!

Roz
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:43

BF:
Default To Roz:

I just posted my first entry into my journal.....I must have been typing it when you sent your reply, Roz! If you read it, you may find out more than you want to know! Nat also steered me in the right direction regarding the journal (Thanks, Nat!)

Thanks for being concerned about the Lasix/K+/diuresis, etc....Every time I go to see my internist, it seems I tell her that I'm going to "start a diet" soon, and I've cleared all of them with her. She OK'd Atkins, so I see no reason why she wouldn't OK TSP. Even some of the cardiologists where I work, are recommending LC..........I was surprised! My husband has A-Fib and needs to lose weight also, and his cardiologist told him that his other overweight patients have had fairly good success with LC'ing, so they were "whole-heartedly" recommending it! (Isn't that good to know?") BTW, I do take daily K+

Nasty chest infections are just awful....I've been there, too, but I've been lucky this year. I mostly get sinus infections that never give up. And too bad the Prednisone didn't help your back....I'd be disappointed too!

Hey, thanks also for the HUGE smileyat the end......where did you get it and how did you put it there? I'm afraid that I have a lot to learn about navigating this site. There is just so much info on it, and many times it's in really small print, that I often miss what I'm looking for. I'm still working on a picture. I scanned and scanned and scanned, but I always get too many pixels. even though I used the resizing feature on my scanner. I'll keep working on it.....I'm sure it's just me, and not the scanner.

I'd better go get those steaks ready for the grill, as I said I was going to do when I posted in my journal over an hour ago. Hubby still isn't home, but he should be soon!

Take care,
Linda
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Using this site as a motivation tool is a great way to start. What a frindly group this is.

Good luck on your journey and we're here if you need support.

Susan