Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry troubles

My husband is hungry and I'll kill for some chocolate!!

Husband's day:
Bkft: canadian bacon, wheat toast, butter
Snk: 1/2 apple, 18 cashews
Lunch: sole w/crust (don't know what of), fruit, cracker bread
Snk: 1/2 banana, p-nut butter w/celery.

I know he needed more vegies but what else? He was starving by supper time. He said he was full tho when he finished each meal.

We both wanted something sweet last night after dinner (our first full day on the diet).

Question about salad bars. Two days in a row, I've gone to different salad bars. No carbs in sight except for croutons. Are these OK?

Tonight we had fajitas--actually the wheat tortillas are not too bad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 23:53

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

Feed the poor guy. This is not a deprivation diet. Find the right foods and eat. This is a way of life and you need to find out what is okay and what is not.
Husband's day:
Bkft: canadian bacon, wheat toast, butter
Your breakfast is not enough. How about adding some eggs to the mix. Check the carb level on the wheat toast. I love steamed spinach with butter in the morning if I am really hungry.

Snk: 1/2 apple, 18 cashews
Seems reasonable
Lunch: sole w/crust (don't know what of), fruit, cracker bread
Too many carbs. Not enough bulk or fat. You need green vegies. If you look at the crust on the sole, the fruit and the cracker bread they are all countable carbs. You can have lots more of the right kind of food.

[B}Snk: 1/2 banana, p-nut butter w/celery[/B]
Check the SP book for the suggested snacks and meals.

This was a great try and good job getting started. We all have to find our own way and get on the right page with this process. To get started I suggest you choose the foods on the plan you really like and ease into the program. Don't deprive your self of food. If you eat too much of the right thing getting started you have still made progress. You never need to be hungry on this plan. Don't give up the ship. The rewards of good health are really worth the learning curve.

If you really need chocolate, try one piece of the really expensive, barely sweetened kind, and balance it with protien and fat.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 05:45

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Some ideas for that sweet tooth and other thoughts

I agree with JudyAH 100% - some meals were way too carby and you definitely need more protein and veggies. That lunch, combined with the afternoon snack (avoid bananas if you can...they are VERY sugary!) would have left me starving by dinnertime too.

Some chocolate substitute ideas from my past:
- whipped cream w/ cocoa...a bit of fruit to sweeten
- ricotta cheese w/ grated unsweetened chocolate and a bit of vanilla for extra flavour

Mock danish (also good for breakfast) - beware - this has Splenda in it...add your sweetener of choice if you allow it in your plan...otherwise you could probably eat it very well without sweetener - add spices and cocoa or grated chocolate for extra flavour:

1 egg
2 oz cream cheese (softened)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbsp Splenda

Beat egg. Add cream cheese and stir until well combined but some chunks of cream cheese left. Add vanilla and sweetener.

Other optional flavourings to add: cinnamon, chocolate, different extracts
I've done a savoury one with fried baby spinach and feta cheese. You could also add leftover cooked veggies and grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar etc).

Microwave covered in a bowl for 2 minutes. Let stand one minute. Turn out onto plate and enjoy.

Seriously...sometimes these things saved my life when I didn't know what else to eat.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default eggs

Neither husband or I like eggs at all.....part of the problem. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 09:30

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Egg-less ideas

Alright - so who says you have to have breakfast foods for breakfast? What about some leftovers from dinner the night before? Maybe some flax cereal in place of oatmeal?

Just please don't neglect proteins and fats...they'll help to make you feel full so you won't be so hungry!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:03

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

One of my favorite breakfasts has nothing to do with eggs, I have always been a little unconventional and always loved eating dinner for breakfast and vice versa. I cook a bunch of chicken or salmon ahead of time and I can nuke and run when I'm in a hurry. It also takes some of the, "what will I eat now?" out of my day. Keep stuff on hand that doesn't require thought or a whole lot of action. With a little prep time on a day you have time you will stay focused on the days you don't have time. Find the foods you like and enjoy that work with the plan. Have fun. This is a heck of an adventure your undertaking. It is nice for you that you have a partner to share the fun. It's all about attitude and commitment. When you start to fell better you'll see what I mean.