Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question protein POwer

Hi,\
Another question for you Protein Power users.
The book I have Is Protein POwer, not Protein Power
Life Plan. From past posts and my answered questions to this forum< I understand the Eades
changed their minds on the value of flax oil.
Are there other changes in the new book that make it valuable to read or is it mainly a rehash of the old?
Allen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 09:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default PP and PPLP

Allen, I moved your post from the Atkins forum to the PP forum

Re: your question: PPLP contains updated information that came from studies and research that was not available in 1995, when PP was published (hence the reversal on flaxoil). It is a wonderful companion to the first book, covering things from vitamin and mineral supplements to sun bathing. It is less a fat loss book and more a guide to optimal nutrition and health.

I would definitely recommend it - you don't have to buy the book though. Most libraries will have a few copies on hand.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:41
Registered Member

BF:

I know you moved the message about protein power and the other about posts. I was not referring to those. Oh well, no big deal. Maybe I work to fast
Thanks for your help.
Allen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 00:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Re:PPLP

I too have the Protein Power book instead of the PPLP...I just got it today. I think its bizarre that Barnes and Noble wouldnt be carrying the most updated version. Other than the stuff Nat mentioned, is the food plan the same?
Thanks.+
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jennifer,
I don't know where you are in New Jersey, but The Barnes and Noble oN Rt. 17 south has the book. I assume that most of them will be getting it soon , as It just came in last week to the other store.
I don;t think the plan is changed at all. More a book for ways to stay and mantain health in general. Quite a read. I just read a little where with the orogonal book I read it in a few days.
Take care
Allen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:12

BF:

The Eades have done a bit of tweaking on the plan - they have uped the carbs slightly for each 'Level' and they have created a few new 'sub divisions' such as the "hedonist", the "purist" and the "dilletante" - which describe your approach to LC. The carb levels in the comparison article (Which LC Plan is right for me?) are from PPLP. The new book also contains some new recipes and a list of retailers where certain types of foods can be found (free range meats, etc)

Aside from the nutrition, they go into great detail concerning supplements and vitamines and spend some time discussion Artificial sweeteners.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:44
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Hi Nat,
I have the book but did yet read the three levels that you speak of. As of now I am following the pp book level two intervention. Do you think that is ok. As you know on Atkins I lost 7 and previous to that about 10 lbs. I really have nothing wrong medically so I think this fits into my life style.
Thanks
Allen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:12

BF:

Allen, "intervention" tends to be between 20-40g of EC a day - does this suit you? It's far more important that you be comfortable with your plan if it is going to work long term. If you found Atkin's too restrictive at <20g, then upping carbs to 40g will mean a world of difference. As you're pretty close to goal using Phase II or "Transition" nutrition might not be a bad idea - it will mean increasing EC to approx 50g a day (something to be done gradually) - it will however, slow your rate of loss.

The decision is ultimately yours - it's more important you be able to enjoy your WOL and maintain it than anything else.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Nat,
Think I will stay at approx. 40 grams and see what happens. Actually the last couple of days Have been doing this. Feel better and actually lost a bit. But as you say this is for a lifetime and i have to feel well physically, and no it's right in my mind. Thanks
Allen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 11:56

Plan: just try to have very few carbs
Stats: 161.00/151.00/135.00
BF:
Progress:

Does anyone have any insight to the protein powders? It lists 230 calories, 2 g fat and 3 g carbs. ProM3 is one among others. It seems to be food for those lactose intolerant, but I was wondering if anyone had used them or found them to have hidden carbs or to contribute to the plateaus or stalls?
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 22:19

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen
Hi,\
Another question for you Protein Power users.
The book I have Is Protein POwer, not Protein Power
Life Plan. From past posts and my answered questions to this forum< I understand the Eades
changed their minds on the value of flax oil.
Are there other changes in the new book that make it valuable to read or is it mainly a rehash of the old?
Allen

Allen,

I spent a lot of my time on the (now down) PPBBS and have both books. MY advice is to get BOTH books. Each has something to offer and when you are talking health the $'s are not that much. PP goes right into the plan, so is easier for the beginer, plus it has a more accurate way to calculate your protein requirements. PPLP has simple tables for those that have dificulty in calculating figures but are then approximations. Not really that big an issue since you should eat at least your miminum protein plus some for your activity level.

PPLP has five years of more research behind it, some half of the over 400 citations are after the PP was published. It also benifits fromthe Drs. Eades writing the first book and the feedback they got from that. I found it a more interesting read, but I am science oriented. But the chapter on magnesium alone makes the book important to have, IMHO. While the program has no major changes in PPLP, there are enough "fine tuning" things that you need to follow for optimum health. I tend to think that the devil is in the details which often get over looked. In the case of eating, it is the micro nutreients that can make the difference between good and excellent health, given the same level of macro nutrients.

I have to usually order the book at Border's. You may need to ask for the "Quality Paperback" which is a larger, nicer size to read.

For those that would like to check out the bibliography for PPLP, here is a link to a page where I have included all the PubMed reference numbers for easy access to the abstracts, and in some cases the entire research paper.
http://www.intergate.com/~berts8nfo..._PubMed_IDs.txt
I have not checked every citation for accuracy [spelling of author's name(s), page in journal, etc.], just those that I could find on PubMed, but that is something like 90% of them. If there is some place on this board that would be appropiate for the bibliography to be posted, feel free to copy it and put it there.

I just realized that if you look at the biblio. you will see the chapters listed. That may give you an better idea of what PPLP covers, and how.

Regards,
Larry
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 06:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Hi Larry, good to see you here.

You might note that this thread is more than 3 years old, so Allen might not be around to receive your (good) advice.

Thanks for the reference to the bibliography for PPLP and your great work creating it (I have recently lost a whole bunch of references) - I was going to ask for it again on the Yahoo group - which sadly isn't as user friendly as the old forum. Lets hope the web site gets up and running soon, although Dr Mike's reference to it recently wasn't exactly encouraging!

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 08:50

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
Hi Larry, good to see you here.

Thanks Malcolm. It is nice to see a bunch of the "old" folks here. This is much closer to the old board.

Quote:
You might note that this thread is more than 3 years old, so Allen might not be around to receive your (good) advice.
Now that you point that out I see it which confuses me since it was near the top of the list when I selected it. Oh Well, may it will help someone else.

Quote:
Thanks for the reference to the bibliography for PPLP and your great work creating it (I have recently lost a whole bunch of references) - I was going to ask for it again on the Yahoo group - which sadly isn't as user friendly as the old forum. Lets hope the web site gets up and running soon, although Dr Mike's reference to it recently wasn't exactly encouraging!

Cheers,

Malcolm
You are welcome! I am glad someone is intrested in the science like I am.

Regards,
Larry
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 10:57

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Larry,

just letting you know that i appreciated your post. thank you