Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 19:12

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

In the 70s I made my own whole wheat Twinkies with honey and whipped cream, I am embarrassed to say. At a party where people had "the munchies." oh does that take me back.

When I was a kid my poor parents stocked up at a Hostess outlet and we had mass quantities of smashed pies as afterschool snacks (5 kids close together). Pretty sure the fructose and trans fats did me in. I was hungry after school to begin with! and that stuff only made me hungrier! well after the initial sugar high.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

The thing is now, if you want a sugary baked snack, there are so many better options. Lots of grocers, and even convenience stores, have bakery cases with fresh(er), and definitely tastier pastries. If you have QuikTrips in your area, you can see where it's headed. And there are much better tasting packaged options even in places that don't have pastry cases.

As a kid, I loved the fruit pies and ding dongs, and liked the rest of it. They're like eating stale sponges these days; I'm not tempted by the things in the slightest.

But the brands are worth something, and they will persist.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 21:57

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Nope, sorry, gotta say again that a fried Twinkie is on my bucket list. Gross, I know. But don't care.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 22:11

Plan: Standard LC ~50g a day
Stats: 455/418/220 Male 6 Feet 4 Inches
BF:41.2
Progress: 16%

I've never had a fried twinky but I want one. I'm not sure I've even had a standard twinkie. I had plenty of ho-hoes as a kid though.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 22:14

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Oddly enough, I'm seeing tons of hostess commercials starting today.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 22:22

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Here in Philly Hostess cakes were never that popular. We had (and still have) the far superior TastyKake.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 23:15

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

If Hostess cup cakes goes out of business,who will sponsor the "Charlie Brown" Specials??!?! To this day if I hear "Peanuts" theme song,I get cravings for Zingers!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 10:10

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I practically lived on Hostess Cupcakes, Funny Bones and Sno Balls when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, my after school snack every single day in sixth grade was a package of Funny Bones and a Pepsi. What the hell was my mother thinking?

(And they wondered why I was always sick...)
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 12:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
Here in Philly Hostess cakes were never that popular. We had (and still have) the far superior TastyKake.
Again it's all subjective. As a kid I loved the Hostess cupcakes *way* better than the TastyKake ones, which I felt were a poor substitute but I would eat them if that was all that was available. Of course today I want neither.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 12:49

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Again it's all subjective. As a kid I loved the Hostess cupcakes *way* better than the TastyKake ones, which I felt were a poor substitute but I would eat them if that was all that was available. Of course today I want neither.

I think it's partly regional. I don't think we had TastyKakes on Long Island when I was growing up. I do know that when I moved to Pennsylvania in '92, there were no Drake's Cakes and I was desperate for some Devil Dogs and whatever their cupcakes were called.

WHOA...just googled to find out the name of the cupcakes and discovered that Drake's is now owned by Hostess and they no longer make the cupcakes! (Don't know why I'm so upset, lol...I haven't had any of them in years and don't plan on having any in the future.)

ETA: They're called Yankee Doodles, and you can still buy some on eBay for $7.00 a box! (How old are they?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drakes-Cupc...e-/310364971117

Last edited by HappyLC : Thu, Jan-12-12 at 13:16.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 14:14

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

I liked the TastyKakes much better, in any case. My favorites were the Butterscotch Krimpets. They were (and still are) sponge cakes with a butterscotch flavored icing.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 14:38

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I think it's partly regional. I don't think we [...]

WHOA...just googled to find out the name of the cupcakes and discovered that Drake's is now owned by Hostess and they no longer make the cupcakes! (Don't know why I'm so upset, lol...I haven't had any of them in years and don't plan on having any in the future.)

ETA: They're called Yankee Doodles, and you can still buy some on eBay for $7.00 a box! (How old are they?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drakes-Cupc...e-/310364971117

Holy Cow! I grew up in Smithtown (Long Island too) and Drakes was a family staple. Ding Dongs were my fave, because I would eat the chocolate off the outside, then came the chocolate cake and cream filling...and we would roll it out. I could eat an entire box!
Thanks for that link! I never would have checked ebay... but now I'm terribly tempted!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 16:12

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I practically lived on Hostess Cupcakes, Funny Bones and Sno Balls when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, my after school snack every single day in sixth grade was a package of Funny Bones and a Pepsi. What the hell was my mother thinking?

(And they wondered why I was always sick...)

I really cringe thinking about it now,but my Senior year in HS,I was getting money for gifts and doing odd jobs for cash,so I could afford to buy my own stuff..I was on the road a lot visiting my GF 30 miles away nearly every day after school,so I started eating Hostess "Honey Buns" with a "New Coke" for a energy buzz!! I must have been eating at least 10 a day,and going thru a six-pack of Cokes!! WTH was I thinking??!!?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 14:22

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Does anybody remember Suzie Q's? I don't have a sweet tooth, but even those got thru to me. They actually had the sugar grain grit in them and were so heavy that you figured you were getting good value.

Is this conversation healthy?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 14:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

We're like a bunch of alcoholics recalling the good/bad ol' days. C'mon, people, start talking about real drool-worthy foods, like Dana Carpender's "Heroin Wings"!