Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:31

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Ball and Band Training for Muscle Growth and Fat Loss

From Mens Fitness Feb 2002 issue

This could almost pass for a preschooler’s playroom. A big, shiny, inflated rubber ball rests in the middle of the floor. Beside it lie two loosely coiled rubber cables, blue and red, with handles on either end. Welcome to the home gym of the 21st century, a bouncier, stretchier kind of home gym. One that looks, feels, and yes, even smells a bit like kindergarten.

Seriously, though: “Working out with stability balls and resistance bands gets back to the playful aspect of training,” says Juan Carlos Santana, C.S.C.S. No, not the rock ’n’ roll guitar god, but the producer of the video series Essence of Stability Ball Training and Essence of Band and Pulley Training. “We perceive them as toys, which is a little weird at first for some guys. But at the end of the day, you need to be engaged by your workouts, and, for whatever reason, people enjoy using balls and bands.”

Because they’re fun, as well as cheap and super-convenient, stability balls and resistance bands are swiftly gaining popularity as an alternative, or supplement, to the standard dumbbells-and-bench setup for at-home training. The type of workout they provide is somewhat different, though. “Bands and balls are custom-made for what is called ‘functional strength training,’” says Santana. This approach is based on multijoint movements that improve the body’s ability to operate as a unit.

According to Santana, if you’re looking to build mass, bands and balls probably shouldn’t be your primary mode of training. On the other hand, if you want the lean look of a beach volleyball player or gymnast, and wouldn’t mind also being able to move like one, then, by all means, this is the home workout you want. Or, for the best of both worlds, you can always augment your traditional iron-based workouts with an at-home bands-and-balls session on days you can’t make it to the gym.

The following 30-minute total-body circuit workout was designed by Santana. It requires a standard 30-inch stability ball, fully inflated, and two resistance bands, one medium and one heavy. Warm up with some light aerobic activity, such as step-ups on your stairs, followed by two or three one-set cycles through the circuit, resting 30 seconds between sets. Cool down the same way you warmed up.

The beauty of this regimen is twofold: It allows you to build a relative amount of functional muscle, and, because it’s continuous, its aerobic features allow you to shed fat in the process. All around, a win-win workout.

Workout
EXERCISE SETS REPS
Band lunge/compound row 2 10*/20
Ball push-up 2 15-25
Ball leg curl 2 30 seconds
Alternating band pull 2 30 seconds*
Ball inverted shoulder press 2 10-15
Ball back extension 2 30 seconds
Band shrug 2 30 seconds
Band crunch 2 60 seconds

Ball and Band Training
{This link shows pictures of all the exercises}
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 20:56

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Cool Fern. Thanks for posting this. There's something very appealing about the low-tech aspect of it. And the bands would probably travel well on a business trip.

Allison
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 12:58

BF:

LOL...yep, bands are a lot easier than carrying weights in your suitcase!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 04:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Thumbs up thank u!

Dear Fern,
Thank u so much for posting that. I wasn't sure about buying those bands b4, but I'm going get them tomorrow. Thanks again.
Bebe
P.S. I don't have a bedpost & I live in a small flat. Where can I secure the bands to? I know it's a silly question. Maybe my husband would hold them for me if I cook him a nice meal......
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:10

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

I too was unsure about the ball and bands, now I think I'll try them too! Thanks Fern.

Disneybebe-What about a door knob? Would that hold the band? Just an idea! LOL
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:23

BF:

I'm glad I helped!

Disneybebe-
A doorknob would work, or how about around the leg of a chair/couch?

Let me know how you like the bands!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

I've been using elastic resistance bands for some time now. They come in different resistance levels, and you can combine two together to increase the resistance. There are different brands .. but I know that for most of them, you can buy a separate "accessory kit" for an inexpensive price, that includes foam padded handles, a reinforced nylon foot loop for leg work, and a special padded gizmo that you can loop over a door. These tend to prolong the life of the bands, since the nylon loops put less stress on the elastic, and less risk of tearing or puncturing. (It's quite painful to have a band snap while you're at maximal pull ... not just to your arm or leg which gets yanked, but the ends can whip into your face )

I have one of the exercise balls too. It's quite a workout just sitting on it, trying to stay balanced and keep the spine straight is a great workout for the thighs and buttocks.

I love 'em. And for sure, I'm going to check out the workout routines Fern posted.

thanks

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:20

BF:

I'm still going to get me one of the balls. I use one at the gym to do crunches on but I refuse to do anything else on it at the gym. I'd make quite a fool out of myself!!!!

When I eventually get one, I'll let you know...