Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/229/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketosis and pregnancy

I am trying to find more information on being in ketosis or very low carb and pregnancy. Does anyone know if it is safe? I have read some studies that say it causes a lowered IQ and could cause mental retardation. I would like to continue this low carb eating but not at those risks as we continue trying to conceive. I'm just looking for more information and of course I will check in with my doctor next week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/290/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wouldn't risk it, personally. You can do the Lifetime Maintenance part of the diet while pregnant, though
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 21:54

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

One of my midwives totally threw the brain-damaged baby card at me when she saw that I had trace ketones in my urine. I was in ketosis long before and all during my recent pregnancy, and I have always eaten VLC since I started this WOE, mostly meat with a few veggies here and there. There are other posters here who went through pregnancy while in ketosis as well. Whether it's the result of a low carb WOE or just typical american diet, many women are in ketosis throughout their pregnancies without even trying, it's pretty normal and doctors in many places don't give much regard to ketones at all.

This may help get you started in your quest for info:

Lower-carb diet found to be better than a lower-fat one in pregnancy

Gestational Diabetes: What constitutes low blood sugar?

Good luck TTC and welcome to the boards