Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/198/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Burn more calories?

does anyone know what kind of work out burns the most calories in the shotest time? My workout usually takes about 35-40 Min. Cardio but I only burn about 270 calories. Also is it bad to stay higher than your target heart rate?
I cant seem to keep in my target heart rate, always go over
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 09:13
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

The theory is by keeping the heart rate controlled you're burning more fat that sugar. The downside to that is it takes a lot longer to burn a pound of fat. Walking or running burns about 100 calories per mile. Running a mile takes 8-10 minutes, depending on condition. Walking a mile takes up to 20 minutes. Using the figure of 3500 calories per pound of fat, you'd have to run for 6 hours or walk for 12 hours.

The opposite extreme burns more fat. By getting your heart rate to 90% of maximum for short peroids you stimulate Growth Hormone. This causes accelerated fat-burning. Only problem there is if weight is extreme, you're likely to damage knees or hips before long.

A middle ground might be an exercise that works more muscles per day: Rowing works the heart, legs, arms and back. Martial arts work the entire body, if done right. Swimming as well works much of the body and is not so stressful to joints.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/180/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Don't forget SPINNING if you're into self-torture like me. When I decide to burn calories in 30-40 min, I crank it up and PT so hard my friends leave me alone when they enter the gym. Just get a good high energy music setand do h

Afterwords I've asked, "why didn't you say hi." They said, "uh. you looked REALLY BUSY."

Whatever you're doing, if you do it faster/harder and sweat more then you're burning more calories. Simple really, but only palatable if you like being soaked with sweat and enjoy pushing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Up the intensity, tae bo or bootcamp are great you can burn up to 1000 calories an hour.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 19:22

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

20 minutes of cardio is plenty enough. I go on the Elliptical and start out 2 minutes on slow pace to warm up, then I go higher, higher and higher until I reach my high point (now I am breathing very hard and I am at my max heart rate), then I drop back down to moderate walking and work my way up again. I have had knee surgery over 15 years ago and everyonce in a while I can feel a sharp pain. Usually when I am running outside or on the Treadmill. Now if you do this on the Elliptical you will NOT damage your knees or your joints.
Good Luck
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 10:33

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Try HIIT (high intensity interval training) where you alternate flat-out sprints with slower recovery periods.

Typical ways of doing this is to sprint the straights on a running track, and walk or jog the bends, or to do one minute one flat out, one minute recovery on a cardio machine. I wouldn't recommend doing sprints on a treadmill, I don't think that's safe.

I personally like doing them when I'm cycling. I'll find a long straight section and go flat out, to the point where I am breathing at around one breath a second and couldn't get a word out if you paid me. Then I cycle at normal speed until I hit the next straight section.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 13:47
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Don't forget that cardio isn't neccessarily about how many calories you burn while you are exercising. It is also about revving up your metabolism so that your body is burning more fat after you finish your cardio.

I agree with Helen about HIIT. I've had great success with it. If you can do your cardio before eating it is another great way to jump start your body.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 14:06

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

This may sound crazy coming from a dedicated runner, but cardio is overrated for calorie burning. Cardio does burn calories, and it is important for a healthy heart, but if you really want to burn fat ALL DAY LONG you need to do weight training. The afterburn from cardio lasts a couple hours, the afterburn from weight training lasts a couple days. The best form of cardio for weight loss is HIIT. Also, if you weight train and do cardio in the same workout session, do your weights first and burn 50% more calories. Also, on a low-carb diet there is no need to exercise on an empty stomach. Drink a protein shake before your workout to spare your muscles from being burned off as fuel.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 10:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

If you can get yourself to do bootcamp 3 times a week the whole dvd you will get a complete body change.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 06:52

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 46%

waouuuu
1000 calories per hour !

I'm surprised.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

realdeal31:
Quote:
If you can get yourself to do bootcamp 3 times a week the whole dvd you will get a complete body change.

Where do you get the DVD? Is Bootcamp 3 the formal title of the tape? I'd be interested in trying this. What I'm looking for is more structure to my weight training sessions, so exercise tapes would work.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Bicycling: 1350 cal in 75 min.

The amount per minute depends on speed and bodycomposition.
A pro can burn some 35 cal/min. A slow,recreative biker 15 cal/min
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 15:48
Registered Member

Stats: 181/173/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

I use the calcutor from "Self" magazine web site. It's pretty accurate.

http://www.self.com/fitness/calculators
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 16:27

Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nets33
It is also about revving up your metabolism so that your body is burning more fat after you finish your cardio.

I agree and started adding 15 min of biking before I head out to work (can't do more cause I'd hafta shower before work). I know 15 minutes isn't much, but hoping it gives my metabo a lil boost to start the day. Then gym 2:30-3:30p, cardio for an hour in the evening ...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%

<~~ big fan of ellipticals!