Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:05

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just got results of my hemoglobin a1c and it is a little over 6. My doctor is saying to follow spii (as I have been for 1 year) except I now need to do the burned out adrenal gland and insulin resistent plan with 15 grams starchy carbs 5 times a day, including protein, healthy fats and non-starchty vegetables.

I feel crappy. I am fatigued, dizzy sometimes, don't sleep well, achy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Marianne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Marianne!

I split your post from the other thread so it would get more viewing and responses.
My first question is how are your blood sugars doing on 75 grams of carb per day? I remember when my blood sugars were high, I felt a lot like what you're describing.
If your blood sugars are running high, I'd suggest that you put in a call to your doctor to see if he/she wants you to continue with this, especially since it's making you feel worse, not better.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:18

BF:

Lisa I am confused. I have not started the 15 grams of carbs 5 times a day yet. That would be 75. I have been doing 20-25 3 or 4 times a day trying to fit a snack in there but not always successful.

I do not take my blood sugars throughout the day. I do not have a machine.

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:27

BF:

Marianne,

was this a question more about SPll or about blood sugars? I'm thinking that this might need to be in the Schwarzbein forum to get the answers that you are seeking.
Your A1c is a little high (have you been diagnosed diabetic?), but nothing to panic over and doesn't seem to indicate that your blood sugars are excessively high so your symptoms may be more related to adrenal burnout than high blood sugars.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:29

BF:

I put it there too. I just do not understand what is going on. I have been doing this for over a year, was told I was insulin sensative w/burned out adrenals and now I am insulin resistent. I am just sick of feeling sick.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:40

BF:

Fiona, I can understand being sick of feeling sick. I think most people would feel that way! Have you asked your doctor why you are feeling so poorly? It seems your doctor has a pretty good handle on what's going on with you and would probably be much better able to explain it, knowing your test results and you personally, than we could just guessing based on your symptoms.
The only thing I can add at this point is that if you have been diagnosed as IR, make those starchy veggies on the lower glycemic side.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:49

BF:

Lisa thank you. I will look at that. I just made an appointment with a doctor that tests free T3 and free T4, which my doctor doesn't. So I will see her on Friday and see what she says.

Thanks again.

Marianne
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 01:28

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Marianne...I think a bG meter would be very helpful for you..tell you about your highs and lows (?dizzy times). In USA many of the bg meter are given away freely by companies in return for you using their sticks....why not apply for one.
Would this address be any use for you... http://www.totallyfreestuff.com/index.asp?ID=4023 ...other members here may be able to add addresses. It is the strips meter people want to sell, not the meters really...it is on the sticks they make their money...BUT also, it is the sticks which will steer you to good health..!!
Don't give in....cheers.....Eve